StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of the bike makers today, have in my opinion adopted the now fashional high mount cans. In my brain this not only adds complexity and weight to the exh system it also impedes on saddle bag fit and function.

My goal for this riding season was to replace the orig exhaust silencer and placement to give it a bit more personality to the sound and place the canister in a more logical location.

Here's two pics of my lower mounted oval silencer. I chose oval because I have many parts I can "borrow" from other projects and mostly becuase it tucks in very nicely. Nothing hanging out to hook onto branches etc. The lower mount now keeps the bulge and possible heat from interfering with my soft saddle bags. The hanging brackets are temporary. I will be recalibrating the fuel injection soon.

I have also reconfigured the stock silencer to fit in the lowered mounting position. I will use the stock can when I need spark arresting and when full stealth/quiet mode is needed :twisted:

After 115 miles yesterday, sound wise I am very very happy. Not loud at all but enough to know you have a nice twin running between your legs.

I am now in the process of filling the vacancy left by the original silencer. In its place will be another narrow profile custom fit aluminum storage tube. Extra storage is always a good thing. This will easily hold rain gear and/or bottled water etc. Eventually I will be making an extra fuel cell to fit inside this compartment if extra fuel range is ever needed, such as a trip to AK :p Prolly enough for 1.5 to 2 gallons.

Any thoughts, good or bad? I'm all ears.

J

·
0 Posts
WIsixfitty said:
Many of the bike makers today, have in my opinion adopted the now fashional high mount cans. s.

Any thoughts, good or bad? I'm all ears.
The reason dirt bikes all have high pipes is because they'd get torn off if they hung low like that, but I don;t imagine you're planning serious off-roading.

It just comes down to subjective opinions, I don't your pipe is an improvement from a "looks" factor, but you obviously know how to plumb exhaust pipe and I'm sure the final bracket will be trick.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whadya know some feedback :p

Thanks for your thoughts Johnny.

I agree with you on ground clearance. There is obviously less however it is a comprimise I made to add more storage. I guess what I was getting at was I still had sufficient clearance from the side as in squeeking thru narrow passages. Even then the OEM has more clearance but still sounds like a sewing machine.

The bracket will be the strorage tube when that is completed.

As for off roading I will do as much and maybe a little more than the bike will allow. I will slow over the doubles and whoop section. :wink:

·
Registered
106 Posts
It looks like the standard muffler position on an SV650. Makes me wonder if a person could simply put an SV650 full system on, which would open up a lot more aftermarket exhaust options for the DL650.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the header design is different between the two. SV vs DL. iirc the DL has longer headers and the underneath crossover/balance tube.

I'm going to my dealer this morning and will confirm.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ok

First its cool that you can do metal work like that, but to me it looks like a car Muffler bolted on to you bike... but that just me... why not just gut and re build the internals on the stock set up, for better sound?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GetFuzzy said:
It looks good, but you'll have to replace the now lopsided fender. Or could you fit a dl1000 fender? Fender eliminator? I think you're onto something.
Like I said in the 1st post I will be filling the vacancy left by the original silencer with a storage tube that will look very similar to the new oval silencer. So I still need the lopsided fender :) I hope to have this new storage tube (which will also double as the hanging bracket) completed in a week or so.

Looks are usually not my main focus, however I want to make it look clean and well done. I was originally going to use a 4" round aluminum tube before I had the ability to make the oval. I also made it long to get as much silencing volume as possible.

I will get a weight comparison soon.

It's sunny, time to go... :p

S

·
0 Posts
That's some nice fabrication. You might think about running your support bracket from the passenger peg mount and shortening up the muffler to get a more pit bull look which would allow the passenger peg mount to support the muffler better. With your bags on there I'm sure the rear fender is not so prominently displayed. Since you did such a nice job fabricating the muffler I'm sure shortening it to the most eye pleasing length wont be a problem since it probably won't need to be that long for sound suppression.

Now you have me thinking about picking up aftermaket cans for my bike and fabbing the inlet pipe needed to get from the stock header pipes to the cans so they can be hung in the factory position. The problem with the strom is that there are limited choices in aftermarket cans. So why not pick a most popular sport bike model that many used cans would be avaliable for, then picking up two identical cans and fabbing the inlet pipes. I have a 1000.

Nice creativity on your part.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's pretty much finished and different for sure. :p

In short I removed the original silencer, replaced it with a water tight storage tube and made another silencer and located that just below. The original silencer is also configured to work in place of my oval silencer if spark arresting is needed. Everything is mounted using the original rubber isolated mounts.

Storage tube cap is held on by a rubber bungee permanently bolted on the inside. I thought about hinges and special latches but decided to keep it as simple and field replaceable as possible. Replacement bungees can be found on the side of the road. I could easily make a fuel bladder to go inside storage tube to hold about 1.4 gallons if needed. Sound output is definately on the quiet side.

·
Registered
23 Posts
WIsixfitty said:
...My goal for this riding season was to replace the orig exhaust silencer and placement to give it a bit more personality to the sound and place the canister in a more logical location...
I like it. Not so much for esthetics's but for your willingness to take on the project. Modding is cool. Custom modding is cooler. Nice work.

K

·
0 Posts
Are the handgaurds aluminum as well? If so nice job fabbing them up. I like what you have done with your 650. Question, what kind of core did you make for the exhaust and did it require remapping the FI? I having been playing with the same idea for my 650. Although I was just thinking about pulling a can off of a salvage bike to do the switch with,maybe a V&H or Supertrapp if I can find one.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The hand gaurds were a temporary solution. :p I'm now sportin Suzuki ones.

The silencer internals I made on the smaller/slightly more restrictive side, for not only to keep it quiet but also not wanting to stretch the limits of the fuel injection system. The actuall perforated inetrnals are two types. One stage is a "sanderson roll" which has many dimples pushed to the inside on the tube. And the other part is a Midas product that has the dimples pushed to the outside. Drivability does not feel any different between the two. I have also modified my OEM silencer to fit this application when I want to be super quiet and have a spark arrestor.

Thanks doc. Like I said before looks are'nt as important as function and use. Anyways the Stroms beauty is best viewed from the saddle imho. :)

·
Administrator
17,017 Posts
Thanks doc. Like I said before looks are'nt as important as function and use. Anyways the Stroms beauty is best viewed from the saddle imho.
SO........ what was wrong with the stock can? I'm sure that it worked as good if not better, and it is ALSO very quiet! Just curious! :wink:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts