StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Currently on a Road Trip on my little Wee, 2011 Black Suzuki V-Strom 650A I got a few months back. My 2004 Wing with all the miles is taking a well deserved rest. Any way I know many riders are interested in the Russell-Day-Long seat so I thought I'd share my experience I had getting my custom built one done for my Wee. Details are on my web page where I'm journaling this first long road trip on the Wee. Go to the link below and scroll down to "Friday - May 27' 2011" day entry and you can read about my experience with Russell Cycle Products and my Day-Long seat. I had a ride in appointment that I scheduled during this road trip out west on the bike

RD-NCORT June 2011

Rest of my journal for this road trip is on this page as well if you're interested to read or just want to see some pictures.

The journey continues ... now in comfy style with my new Russell Seat. Hooking up with my best friend Russ on Monday for our week ride together.

Take Care,

Donnie

·
Registered
204 Posts
Great report on the trip and the seat! I'll keep reading as you progress. Send me a PM if you need any support when you get to Rapid City.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Great report on the trip and the seat! I'll keep reading as you progress. Send me a PM if you need any support when you get to Rapid City.
Will definitely do that ... thanks ... I have family there now too. Great riding around Rapid City, S.D. Wife and I spent a week riding around up there few years back.

My route back to Tennessee this time will, as it did on the way out west, depend on the weather.

Right now it's cold, wet & windy ... and I'm in CALIFORNIA!! Go figure ...

Donnie

·
Registered
293 Posts
The weather's crazy everywhere right now Donny. What you're experiencing is definitely not typical for California this time of year. When you were up in Shasta getting your seat done....usually it's like 80-95 degrees and sunny up there this time of year.

I read your blog. Curious about how you feel about the RDL now that you've probably got the 500 mile break-in thing done. Are you happy with it? I know it's more of a touring seat than a "performance" seat. Do you think it takes anything away from the ride, or does it just add to it?

PS. My RDL build date is 6/15.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The weather's crazy everywhere right now Donny. What you're experiencing is definitely not typical for California this time of year. When you were up in Shasta getting your seat done....usually it's like 80-95 degrees and sunny up there this time of year.

I read your blog. Curious about how you feel about the RDL now that you've probably got the 500 mile break-in thing done. Are you happy with it? I know it's more of a touring seat than a "performance" seat. Do you think it takes anything away from the ride, or does it just add to it?

PS. My RDL build date is 6/15.
Interesting question. I've only ridden on it for the past 2 days so only about 250 miles so far and the conditions were less than optimum with rain and wind each day. In fact, the rain cover has been over it since I left Shasta. Seems like I'm starting to fit into the seat pocket and the backrest is in the optimum range if just a tad bit forward but it's adjustable some. Need more riding time to make a final determination but it's head and shoulders above the stock ... of course just about anything would be better than the stock seat. So far I'm pretty pleased with it.

More to your question. I totally agree it's more of a "touring" seat than a "performance" seat. As far as the ride for me it definitely adds to it because anything that allows me more comfort while riding adds to the enjoyment of the experience and allows me to do it longer. I do sit higher now and I think with the back rest in the proper position it encourages me to sit up correctly while still having the back supported. On the other hand off road I don't think it's going to add anything to the ride and may be a slight negative since it requires a little more effort to get my feet down and even then I'm on mostly tip toes (Keep in mind I had the bike lowered 1 1/8 in the rear and 1/2" on the front prior to the new seat). I'm only 5' 6" tall. Getting your feet down quickly off road is important although I'm primarily only going to tackle forest or gravel roads.

Good luck with your appointment with RCP.

Donnie

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wow! Your trip is fantastic, I'm really envious and will be keeping up with your blog.

Thanks so much for sharing all this!

·
Registered
244 Posts
from the looks of that seat - i can't imagine that you WON'T be comfortable all day... day in/ day out!

:D

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hey Donnie, how are you today? How's the ankle?

So sorry to read about your mishap on your latest post. Even us 6o year olds have to learn by new experiences sometimes. I've had a great morning enjoying your daily blogs up to this point, and hope that you're recovering and will be able to continue on your adventures.

Those pretty flowers, btw, look like lilacs to these eyes. If their scent sent you to heaven for a few seconds, then they probably were.

Here's to your health and to the many roads that lay ahead!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I guess the best way to describe how my ankle feels this am is ... It doesn't feel as bad as I though it might but at the same time not as good as I would like. Will know more as the day progresses. I'm determined not to let this stand in the way of my riding plans. Glad you are enjoying the daily write ups in my journal.

Donnie

Hey Donnie, how are you today? How's the ankle?

So sorry to read about your mishap on your latest post. Even us 6o year olds have to learn by new experiences sometimes. I've had a great morning enjoying your daily blogs up to this point, and hope that you're recovering and will be able to continue on your adventures.

Those pretty flowers, btw, look like lilacs to these eyes. If their scent sent you to heaven for a few seconds, then they probably were.

Here's to your health and to the many roads that lay ahead!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Nice ride report, Donnie, and great photos. I'm getting a little jealous, truth be told.

Hope the ankle is better. Passing out is never a good time. :frown:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had a similar accident when I was mountain biking last year. It wasn't pain related, but I think I was just dehydrated. I started feeling queasy and had tunnel vision so I got off the bike to get some water and the next thing I knew I was waking up on my back and lying on the bike - same direction of fall you had too. This was the first time I'd ever fainted and I was amazed how quickly it all happened. I think the best thing to do is to make sure that your equipment is out of the way and then sit down away from it as fast as you can. My fall actually cracked my helmet, so get close to the earth if you can. Glad you're okay, and hope the ankle improves.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Weird!! Hope your OK Donnie. Let us know what the medical outcome is...if you have to go in.

Fainting is odd...I don't know much about it. I dropped once in the Army while standing in one spot without moving enough. Blood flow to the brain?

Just glad you weren't doing 75 mph down the freeway when it happend.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good News

Got to the ER today and got an x-ray of the ankle ... everything looks good and there are no broken bones or splinter ones so it's just a matter of taking it easy for a while for the ligaments to heal. Big Relief.

Having to get a new set of tires tomorrow for the Wee (only got about 5,000 miles out of the Trail Wings). The rear one is gone and the front is to close for comfort to last another two weeks on the road so having it replaced to. Then the journey can continue. Plan to depart now on Thursday, June 2nd with my buddy Russ. Now if just the weather would cooperate.

Thanks to everyone for all the well wishes.

Donnie

·
Registered
90 Posts
Excellent trip report, and wow that seat is like a lazyboy for a bike !
Surprisingly it doesnt look bad on there at all actually, your bike looks like its setup very well.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Got to the ER today and got an x-ray of the ankle ... everything looks good and there are no broken bones or splinter ones so it's just a matter of taking it easy for a while for the ligaments to heal. Big Relief.

Having to get a new set of tires tomorrow for the Wee (only got about 5,000 miles out of the Trail Wings). The rear one is gone and the front is to close for comfort to last another two weeks on the road so having it replaced to. Then the journey can continue. Plan to depart now on Thursday, June 2nd with my buddy Russ. Now if just the weather would cooperate.

Thanks to everyone for all the well wishes.

Donnie

Donnie,

Sending you a PM.

TheBlade

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Donnie, couple of questions about the Russell.

I have a bad lower back and that back rest looks like it offers a lot of support. I'm also a very upright rider as a result. Does it help your back or just let you relax in the seat more?

Also do you feel at all restricted by it being there? I've never ridden with one but it seems like standing or getting off in a hurry might not be as easy with a backrest. There are some situations where you would want to get away from the bike, in a lowside get-off for example.

Heal up and ride :thumbup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Donnie, couple of questions about the Russell.

I have a bad lower back and that back rest looks like it offers a lot of support. I'm also a very upright rider as a result. Does it help your back or just let you relax in the seat more?

Also do you feel at all restricted by it being there? I've never ridden with one but it seems like standing or getting off in a hurry might not be as easy with a backrest. There are some situations where you would want to get away from the bike, in a lowside get-off for example.

Heal up and ride :thumbup:
Hi ... I think if the pocket of the seat (where your butt actually sits) is installed in the sweet spot for your riding position I think it can do both. The guys at Russell Day Long try very hard to help you find that during the test seating if you do the ride in appointment. I believe my pocket is good but I miss judged the position where the backrest was anchored so in it's further est position back now it still feels like it's pushing me slightly forward. They are going to fine tune that for me on Monday when I get up there again so that the backrest is also in the sweet spot for me. There are basically 3 positions you can put the back rest in (and really anywhere in between) and I want the further est position forward to give me that upright posture ride without pushing me forward and other times I may want to put it back some so I can lean back into more. Leaning back into it may be those times it would be most comfortable to put my legs up on the Highway pegs when I get them.

As far as getting on and off the bike the backrest folds over onto the pocket of the seat so it's not in the way for mounting and dismounting although you obviously have to take the time to raise and lower it before mounting or dismounting if you want to throw your leg over. many time I just throw my leg directly over the pocket of the seat and leave the backrest upright. Having trouble doing that now with the sore left ankle but the option to fold the backrest down is a nice feature.

I've have a backrest on my Goldwing as well and in my opinion it's difficult for us older guys to do long distance comfortably without one.

Unfortunately ... comfort comes at a price but as much as I ride it's worth it's weight in gold.

Good luck on your choice.

PM sent to you also

Donnie

·
Registered
522 Posts
Donnie:

Hope you find out for sure what caused you to pass out.

I passed out 5 years ago on a ride and ended up in the hospital for 2 weeks, and waking up to a doctor asking "how long has your diabetes been untreated"? I, of course asked him how long I had been in the hospital. He responded with 2 days. Thus I told him that it had been treated for 2 days then.

Seriously, if you are in a position to get checked out when you get home I would do so. As you know, It might be anything from simple dehydration to something a bit more complicated . But breaking bones is not fun and passing out on your motorcycle is a good way to do just that.

Have a great trip. I have a RDL on my FJR and absolutely love it. I am going to sell my Sargent that I have on the Wee and get an RDL for it also. The comfort just can't be beat.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts