StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
puts a huge smile on my face...the harley is low and slow, torquey and rough...awful brakes and shakes like a %#[email protected]& all the time....it is calming and fun just to cruise, hit 5th gear at 45mph and just sit there...when I ride the VEE I feel like I'm 20 yrs old again....like night and day...love them both....best of both sides of the fence for sure....:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Interesting.
I thought most of us here rode Vee's because we "are" old farts. Um, so to speak. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
329 Posts
My 2012 DL650 will run all day at 80 mph. I have to be careful not to let it creep up to 90. My 2008 FLHP has a 103 cu engine, and I have to give it some stick to stay at 80. It is great for blasting down the freeway, and the Sundowner seat is an all day joy. If I'm going out highway cruising, I'll take the Road King. If I'm headed out for any other type of trip, the Strom gets the nod. They are different animals.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Same here. I have an 08 Ultra Classic. Riding it still beats driving a car...but it doesn't make me smile like the Wee does. Took the UC out this past weekend to decide whether I am going to sell it. Decided I would. Took wife out on it for a last ride, and she wants to keep it for 2-up. So, it still sits in the garage since we don't 2-up much anymore.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
In addition to my Wee I also have an '87 FXR, and they are a perfect compliment for one another. The Harley's motor has been hopped up, it's a bit loud, heavy, rough around the edges, handles decent, but with over 170k miles, and it recently has begun to get horrible gas mileage, it's not my main ride. The Wee is more the daily rider, like a Toyota Çorolla, and the FXR is like a '72 Chevelle SS, I take it out when I need a dose of torque and character, it's a satisfying ride. The riding position is similar so going from one to the other is natural. Each bike makes me appreciate the other more.

·
Registered
15,614 Posts
If my motorcycle had the attributes you describe of the Harley, I'd scrap it after becoming aware of the superior operation of the Strom.
I guess there are them what wants a Putt and those of us that can't fathom it. :confused:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Put 5K miles on my DL650 in the one year I had it . Sold it 4 months ago

Bought a 2010 BMW R1200R and have already put 5K miles on it , in 4 months , it's that much more fun to ride for me , lot more power , low to the ground , a joy to ride , had to spend $800 on a Parabellum scout fairing for wind protection , adding a Screaming Banshee horn and lights from Skene

Cruisers are best for cruising laid back and relaxing , that's for sure , I miss my Valk .

I may buy one of the new ones ,

·
Registered
145 Posts
my 2cents.

One bike is not enough, I like them all, ride them all, enjoy them all. If I had more space, time and money I would have more bikes. Currently own four bikes and would be quiet happy to own more.

My philosophy, ride it until you stop enjoying it, or you want a change, then change it.

I change at least one bike a year, selling one and replacing it with something else. I like the variety and the change. It allows me to experience a lot of everything, often.

Works for me, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
92 Posts
What 4 do you have ??

my 2cents.

One bike is not enough, I like them all, ride them all, enjoy them all. If I had more space, time and money I would have more bikes. Currently own four bikes and would be quiet happy to own more.

My philosophy, ride it until you stop enjoying it, or you want a change, then change it.

I change at least one bike a year, selling one and replacing it with something else. I like the variety and the change. It allows me to experience a lot of everything, often.

Works for me, your mileage may vary.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
puts a huge smile on my face...the harley is low and slow, torquey and rough...awful brakes and shakes like a %#[email protected]& all the time....it is calming and fun just to cruise, hit 5th gear at 45mph and just sit there...when I ride the VEE I feel like I'm 20 yrs old again....like night and day...love them both....best of both sides of the fence for sure....:mrgreen:
Nice to have an alternate. One starts to get stale just hop on the other one. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Good friend of mine said recently, " the best bike you can own is 3 of them"

I need one more, and it will be a dedicated off road bike..

·
Registered
1,284 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,543 Posts
They are all different and all issue you a different level of enjoyment. I wish I could ride them all but financially it's not possible. I think if I could pick right now it would be a RoadKing, a Wee and a DRZ400S....I choose those out of about 20 bikes I have ridden or owned in my life. My list might change if I could put some miles on the gazillion other bikes out there. Then add on top of that your age and they all change again.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Happy I saw this thread!

I've been a harley guy (NOT a typical biker-type, just a dork with a Harley type) for ten years after not riding for the prior twenty. My latest bike up until I got the DL650 is a 2014 Road King with a 103 Rushmore motor and stage one upgrade. The bike is a beast! Fast as heck, smooth and comfortable. Also quite nimble for a big bike and I just love the Harley-Davidson "rumble." The bike feels like a living thing to me.

But I wanted a second bike that is the complete opposite of the Road King and after months of research and test rides I found a great deal on a 2013 V-Strom and man, I can't stay off of this thing! It harkens me back to my Honda Interceptor days in the early 80s. I'm 52. I love everything about this bike... except having to maintain a chain but no biggy. I love the responsive handling, the nimbleness, amazing brakes, liquid-cooling, the technology in the displays. I HATE tank mounted gauges such as the ones on the Road King and all but the most expensive Harleys.

If I had to pick only ONE bike to keep, I hate to day it but it would be the Strom. Now wondering if I should keep the Road King.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A few years back I was working at a large BMW motorcycle shop and we had two nearly identical XL1200Rs come in on trade, one was a bone stock 2006 with under 5K and the owner wholesaled it out to me, since it was November. Of course I needed to see what could be done with such a bike and began to abuse my connections and discounts with our vendors. Pretty soon I had a pretty awesome black Sporty (68hp/74fp at the wheel with only bolt-on mods) that looked cool, ran cool and actually had suspension. It was great fun but I realized that, though I may enjoy hearing AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" a couple of times a year, I don't want to hear it every day.

Sold the Sporty, kept the old K75S, now have new 2014 V-Strom 650--which I am truly enjoying.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
I came from Harley's as well, my last bike was a road king and yes I loved her. However once I got on the Vee, I couldn't get the smile off my face, I can do long trips and be comfortable and race it up. ive ridden bikes for years, and have looked for a bike with everything, and the Vee is the closest thing ive come to it !

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
I had a 2004 Road King Custom for 10 years. Rode it all over the US, and loved it. Then I bought a 2012 DL650, and I don't think I put more than a hundred miles on the RK after that. Nothing wrong with the RK, it was a great bike, but there was something about being back on a (comparatively) light weight bike that made me love riding all over again. I only had the DL650 just shy of two years and 12000 trouble free miles, but it gave me a new appreciation for Japanese iron that continues to this day. Though the 650 was traded on a Super Tenere, I still love the adventure style bikes more than anything else I've ever ridden.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Had an Electra Glide -- sold it. Had a Vulcan 1600 -- sold it. I always came back to the fact that I liked riding the Wee more even though the big cruiser CONCEPT seemed attractive. Whenever I considered a longish tour the Wee just always seemed to be a better choice for a number of reasons, and that largely negated the purpose of having a heavyweight touring mount.

The only "problem" with the Wee is that it does so many things so well that it's hard to justify having another bike to fill in the missing uses. I suppose the only niche that it can't adequately fill is the dedicated lightweight dirt bike one, so a 250 thumper may be on the agenda.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I've ridden Harleys but never owned one. So I read this thread with interest. Fascinating that quite a few Wee riders change to an S Ten or 1200 beemer and talk about liking the bike having more power. Have you tried the DL 1000? There is a big difference in performance. Big. On another note, it would be fun to have a sporty Harley in the garage for cruising around the local area. I have the 250 dirt bike and the big Vee, so now I just need that 3d bike in between. Maybe a Ducati Scrambler. Nice to dream.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts