StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Good stuff. Short and sharp, just how I like reviews.

Re 160 kph + performance of the V-strom, I believe the ECU starts closing off the secondary throttles to limit top speed, so that might have been what you noticed there.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Good review, confirms what others have written.

2 - things stand out for me:

If the Versys had an ABS option, I'd buy one.

The DL650 is hard to beat as an all-rounder, easily adaptable to what you want. It's easy to lust after other bikes, but hard to find a better one.

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
as a die-hard Kawa-maniac, I got me a Strom over the Versys because the Zook is just so damg competent over a huge range of fun riding possibilities.....I still have my ol' GPz for nostalgia!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I like it. Short and to the point. Only thing that left me scratching my head is I feel the strom has a lot more legroom than the versys. When I tried it, I felt cramped. But maybe it is just me...:confused:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Nah, you're not the only one. I actually tested a Versys at a demo day, and that is what got me into looking for all-rounder bikes. L-O-V-E-D the Versys too, what a tremendously fun bike to ride! I bought a Strom without even driving one...as soon as I did, I knew the Versys was less capable, but more fun. Took the Strom exploring on some range roads around here and remembered why I bought the thing ;)

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Good report there.

Unbiased and informative.

The Wee can't wheelie :confused::confused::confused:

Mine does fairly easily, first gear away from traffic lights and feels like sometimes in second gear as well [used to spin in third on dry white lines with the orignal Trailwings, got Tourance on the rear now and a new one going on the front at the end of this week].

The Vee/Wee seems to be the most versatile bike for my needs, commuting daily, weekend rides and long distance touring [3,000km + per trip].

·
Registered
267 Posts
Nice review. I heavily considered a Versys before I bought my DL650. I went with the DL because of the ABS and I wanted the softer suspension. I wouldn't mind having both a DL and Versys.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
An SV650 seems a lot more logical comparison. 17" fronts just don't cut it on rough roads, so I've never understood why people compare the Versys or Ulysses to the V-Strom, except perhaps as a commuter.

·
Registered
482 Posts
An SV650 seems a lot more logical comparison. 17" fronts just don't cut it on rough roads, so I've never understood why people compare the Versys or Ulysses to the V-Strom, except perhaps as a commuter.
+1 I don't get it either. Seems obvious.

He says the Wee has great headlights. Like your avatar.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Having owned both bikes I would say the review is right on. The Versys feels so much quicker because of how the power comes on. Its not a steady pull like the strom, more like a powerband from 5-8k then it drops off quickly. It might not be any faster than the strom but if you are in that rev range it sure feels like it! It also seems to have more pull at low revs, that was one of the first things I noticed about the strom, it feels like a slug until you spin the motor up then it pulls good until 10k.

Good review

·
Registered
485 Posts
The Wee can't wheelie :confused::confused::confused:

Mine does fairly easily, first gear away from traffic lights and feels like sometimes in second gear as well...
Agreed! Even though I was still trying to keep the revs below 5K since I'm still in my break-in period (should be up today!:hurray:), I still managed to get the front tire about a foot off the ground yesterday leaving a stop light. Inadvertently, of course! :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Agreed! Even though I was still trying to keep the revs below 5K since I'm still in my break-in period (should be up today!:hurray:), I still managed to get the front tire about a foot off the ground yesterday leaving a stop light. Inadvertently, of course! :yesnod:
You guys must have some type of super Wees, cuz my 09 will not lift the front wheel off the ground 1" with throttle alone to save it's life.....clutch-up only.

My bud's Versys, no prob.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I am an avowed asphalt-weenie and the extent of my off-roading is when I pull the bike into the front yard to wash it. I liked the looks of the Versys the first time I saw it. I loved the Versys the first time I test-rode it. So why did I choose my Vee over it? The Versys 650cc powerplant just doesn't have the "giggle-factor" my Vee does. If the Versys (or the Gladius for that matter) was offered in a 1000cc version, I'd really have to think hard about it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i have both and agree with everything except: did he really say the wee has a good seat!, and Versys has similar gauges, it only lacks a temp gauge.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts