StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm modifying the design of the Yosh Box to suit it for the specific needs of the DL1000.

Here are my modified schematics:

PDF here: http://off1.co/shared/DL1000_ADVENTURE.zip

In this specific mod, I limited the full range of the Idle Mixture Adjustment pot to change the idle mixture to +/- 2.5% which should be more than enough to fix any lean mixture problems at idle on the VEE. By limiting the full range of the pot to only 2.5% on both sides it is much easier to make smaller, more precise adjustments.

The Throttle Mixture Adjustment pot should give a precise adjustment of +/- 6.5% for both low and medium RPM's. The Vee does not need high RPM adjustments as it is plenty rich already.

I'll build the box in the next few days and report back with the results. If it works as expected, I may even start a new lender program for all Vee havers in this community.

Wish me luck.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Good luck with it Off1!!!

It is kind of funny, all this work for a device you use a few times, then set and forget it.

I should post up something on CL offering it as a service...

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...all this work for a device you use a few times, then set and forget it...
I don't see it as work as I really enjoy playing with electronics ;)

plus, It's going to save me like $300 of a Power Commander.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have noticed many times people claiming that an ecu reflash is better than a power commander or similar piggy back device because "it's faster". Now of course the system will be technically faster without the PC in the way needing time to make changes - but does it really make any dicernable difference to the typical rider?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have noticed many times people claiming that an ecu reflash is better than a power commander or similar piggy back device because "it's faster". Now of course the system will be technically faster without the PC in the way needing time to make changes - but does it really make any dicernable difference to the typical rider?
The Power Commander is "better" just because it lets you tinker with more adjustments on the bike's performance but the Yoshi Box should be enough to make huge improvements in the engine's response to the point where most riders won't need the PC.

Average money spent on a Power Commander unit: $300.
Average money spent on a ECM reflash: $30.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Oh I hear ya. The inner nerd in us just can't leave things alone nor stomach paying out the nose for overpriced equipment.

My idle adjustment box proved one thing to me: the idle adjustment affected a whole hell of a lot more than just idle. An over rich setting on the idle adjustment alone meant the bike didn't run clear up until 6K which is a condition I induced by using a legitimate Yosh Box that had a broken adjustment knob.

It is more of a "throttle position enricher adjustment tool." The first 1/3 of throttle travel (which accounts for at least an unscientific 70% of a normal ride) was super rich until I toned it back.

·
Banned
208 Posts
I don't see it as work as I really enjoy playing with electronics ;)

plus, It's going to save me like $300 of a Power Commander.
Nice work off1. Understand you completely. Surely how the ECU was designed to be adjusted. Is there a sequence returns all to factory settings as a starting point?

Same with the clutch basket re-engineering and development. Enjoy playing with mechanics.

Sharealike other forums

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
34 Posts
Reflashing everything with the knobs at 0 should reset it to factory settings.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Is there a way to see if bike has been reflashed with yosh box?

My Vee is thirsty for gas, I think it has been flashed with too rich settings.
Maybe I need to build the box and reflash with 0 settings just in case.

-Esko

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is there a way to see if bike has been reflashed with yosh box?

My Vee is thirsty for gas, I think it has been flashed with too rich settings.
Maybe I need to build the box and reflash with 0 settings just in case.

-Esko
No

Yes

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
34 Posts
That was my thought also. I need to go buy some parts and start building the box.

What kind of connector have to connect the yosh box to bike?

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
When I studied this along with reports from people had flashed their at a dyno most said that the upper throttle positions were actually leaned a little after the off idles were richened.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
When I studied this along with reports from people had flashed their at a dyno most said that the upper throttle positions were actually leaned a little after the off idles were richened.
On most Dyno's I've seen of the stock Vee's, the AFR is way fat over 6K and should be leaned. Doesn't hurt much since many rarely see ove 6K, but for peak HP #'s it needs to be leaned out up there

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Proto board for testing and case with switches and pots in place.

ON/OFF - WRITE

FrontCyl/RearCyl - Idle Mixture

Iddle/Throttle

LowRPM/MedRPM - Throttle Mixture

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was too lazy and anxious to make everything compact inside that little case, I just wanted to make this work and flash my ECU and guess what... IT WORKS!

Before reflashing my bike I tested all the voltages and they all seemed to be within spec. I used a small USB charger as a 5.0V power source.

Now, after playing with the ECU, maneuvering at low speeds is smooth as silk!

Idle: +2%
Throttle low: 5%
Throttle medium: 5%

1 - 20 of 60 Posts