StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have written before that I wish I hadn't changed from my Beemer, but I just had a chance to really wring out the Wee for the first time since I bought it. I've had time to dial in the suspension and experiment with tire pressures, and now have it where it handles extremely well. It has all the power I need, even with a big load, and the air behind my Cee Bailey shield is smooth enough. The brakes are more than adequate, IMO, and I can speak from experience that the ABS does its job when needed. Given the price difference between the Wee and a comparable Beemer, I think the Wee is a terrific deal.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
:confused:
:green_lol: :green_lol:

Welcome to the world of us very happy ex Beemer riders. :thumbup:

And there are LOTS of us here. :fineprint:

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Upgrade the suspension - cartridge emulators in front and a better shock in back make a huge difference.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I was expecting this thread to have been started by MightyShep. :green_lol:

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm thinking of going the other way. Everywhere I look something needs to be replaced/upgraded to meet the level of an r1150r (or Triumph, or Guzzi, or...). And the rubber selection for a 19" front wheel is dismal (I ride 100% road). Also, it is gutless (and wobbly) above 80. I could go on. The only reason its still in the driveway is that its paid for.

All of the bikes shortcomings seems to be justified by cost savings over some other brand.

·
Registered
237 Posts
If I had money I'd consider a Beemer. But the wee makes me very happy considering the price I paidit new. 1/2 of that of a 800 GS and more than three times less than a bigger beemer!
Of course you have to take into consideration that Suzuki cannot give them away and they have to make a profit.
It is gutless over 90, up to there is enough. If you want to accelerate fastER drop it a gear or 2 so you find yourself between 6000-7000 rpm.
Of course it is gutsless when you compare it to a 1150 which is almost double in capacity!!!!

I mean the bike is a 650 and weighs at least 300 kg with a rider!

But I am repeating what has been said over and over

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Man I have been on the fence for another bike....trying to convince myself for two years to sell the Wee and buy a GSA or 990A.

I have thwarted my wandering eye for a different big bike, by purchasing a Honda XR650R. It's a perfect stable-mate to the Strom.

But every time I climb on the DL650 and do a ride, I return with a huge smile on my face.....and the bike is paid off, costing me about $33 a year in liability insurance. That's a lot of very, very cheap fun.

When discussing the whole bike ownership thing with the wife yesterday evening....she said...."Honey, you need to keep that Suzuki. I bet you could put 100k miles on it and....even if we buy an LT, I still want a bike that we can ride together on mountain, dirt roads."

Wow, I love me wifey!!!!!

·
Registered
808 Posts
If I had money I'd consider a Beemer. But the wee makes me very happy considering the price I paidit new. 1/2 of that of a 800 GS and more than three times less than a bigger beemer!
Canadian?

Here in the states, the Wee's MSRP is $8k, the F800GS is under $12k. So yeah, huge price difference no doubt, but not double (and the gap to the F650GS is smaller).

Of course, I was able to get a used bike for barely over half what the new price is, and there's no way I would have been able to find a used F800gs for even double what I paid -- if for no other reason than the fact that it's a newer bike.

But then, I see it all the time here on the board... "why would I pay 5k when I can get a *brand new one* for $3k more?" Well hell, if $3k is nothing, just keep stepping up the price range! :biggrinjester:

Me? I keep eyeing something like a Dorsoduro or Hypermotard, but not to replace the Wee. Just for something fun, small, quick, a good commuter.. The Wee is a bit large for splitting, especially with the handguards and high mirrors. Not bad, just not super nimble.

If I replaced the Wee for adventure touring, it would probably be something like an F800. I couldn't see going for one of them big-and-heavy bikes, even if I could afford one!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not an F800

I had an F800 and though it is more powerful than the Wee it is not in the same league. It vibrates, requires high octane gas, costs much more, and is not nearly as comfortable as the Wee. It does have a computer on board which is fun to play with buts that about all it has on the Wee.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Canadian?

Here in the states, the Wee's MSRP is $8k, the F800GS is under $12k. So yeah, huge price difference no doubt, but not double (and the gap to the F650GS is smaller).

Of course, I was able to get a used bike for barely over half what the new price is, and there's no way I would have been able to find a used F800gs for even double what I paid -- if for no other reason than the fact that it's a newer bike.

But then, I see it all the time here on the board... "why would I pay 5k when I can get a *brand new one* for $3k more?" Well hell, if $3k is nothing, just keep stepping up the price range! :biggrinjester:

Me? I keep eyeing something like a Dorsoduro or Hypermotard, but not to replace the Wee. Just for something fun, small, quick, a good commuter.. The Wee is a bit large for splitting, especially with the handguards and high mirrors. Not bad, just not super nimble.

If I replaced the Wee for adventure touring, it would probably be something like an F800. I couldn't see going for one of them big-and-heavy bikes, even if I could afford one!

Well, I paid my Wee 7200 brand new. Suzuki had a total of 1000 off the bike at that time. The price was too good to say no and I always bought different bikes when what I needed and wanted was really a Wee.
An ABS GS800 is about 14000 over here I guess. Even with manufacturer discounts, if it's not really half off it is not too far from it. I know there is the lesser 800 BMW model which is closer to 12000 maybe but still, I like comparing it to the GS:)

Dorsoduro and Hypermotard are big bikes. I think the Hypermotard is even wider with those stupid mirrors on the sides.

I'd like to have a 400SM for commuting. But I can<t afford 2 bikes. We are bign ripped off on insurance plates, 620 per year for a bike above 400 cc and 1500 per year for a sports bike above 400 cc. Regular bike with less than 400 cc is 370!

·
Registered
600 Posts
I've never seen a new BMW at base list price, because they are always ordered with option packages. Add to that the dealer's prep and the price tag can get up there, way up there.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Hmmmmm

I too am sometimes on the fence about my Wee. Overall I really like the bike and every time I ride it I come home with a huge smile on my face! I'll be the first to admit that I ride too fast, but as others have said, I too find the motor to be pretty gutless. I wish Suzuki hadn't de-tuned it from the SV 650. Yeah, I could change the exhaust, put a tuner on it, etc, but thats even more money to spend on a motorcycle I only paid $5800 for (2008 i bought used in 2009 with 2000 miles on it).

But........

Then I sank another $2000 in it on farkles (racks, panniers, top case, crash bars, skid plates, highway pegs, madstadt, windshield, seat, handlebars, gearing, fuse block, etc. etc). And more I'm sure I probably forgot.

Now I have my eye on cartridge emulators for the forks and an Elko shock for the rear to fix the crappy suspension.

So now that I think about it, WTF, might as well go for the exhaust and tuner.

So when all is said and done, I'll have a $10,000+ Wee. That's not too damn far from a F800GS after all.

But is it now a better than the Beemer? I think so. A lot better. And how much would one have to spend on the GS to get it to the same level of functionality, comfort, and personalization? I'd guess at least $2000 minimum. So then I'd have a $16,000 Beemer which is compatible with my $10,000 Wee.

And after all, isn't farkling out your Wee to make it your own part of the attraction that helped in your decision to buy the Wee. God (and wives) know that boys love their toys, and there are hundreds of farkle choices out there for our Wees.

Even after you sink all the additional money into personalizing and/or fixing things Suzuki SHOULD have done at the factory, I still think the Wee is a bargain. The overall package of the bike is solid and reliable.

But for me personally, if I could do it all over again, to feed my power addiction I think I'd sacrifice mileage and handling, and go with a Vee instead. And I'm thinking I may start looking in that direction over this coming winter. But ya still gotta farkle a little o make it yours, fix the crappy suspension and the totally worthless (not to mention painful) seat, etc. So then the process starts all over again, lol.......

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think folks also need to consider not just the up-front cost of acquiring any BMW versus the Wee, but the maintenance costs as well.

I used to know the manager of the only local BMW dealership here in Tucson. I had gone out on a test ride of one of their bikes and was remarking to him that while I liked the bike, it seemed pretty expensive for what it was. He told me that BMW didn't actually make all that much money on the sale of a brand new bike. He said that where they made their money was in upkeep and maintenance. I don't think he realized what he said until he was done talking. Me--well, I just made a silent mental note to NEVER buy a BMW. I've never looked back and never had a regret.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I'm thinking of going the other way. Everywhere I look something needs to be replaced/upgraded to meet the level of an r1150r (or Triumph, or Guzzi, or...). And the rubber selection for a 19" front wheel is dismal (I ride 100% road). Also, it is gutless (and wobbly) above 80. I could go on. The only reason its still in the driveway is that its paid for.

All of the bikes shortcomings seems to be justified by cost savings over some other brand.
Spend some time on the BMW boards as I did when riding them, they replace everything on their new bikes just like we do. They bitch about the stock suspension all day long.

Above 80 MPH? If you're routinely riding above 80, you shouldn't be riding an adventure bike. Try a sport touring bike, they're meant for that style of riding. Adventure bikes lop along at 70-80 all day long, above 80 they are all flighty.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Since I've owned Beemers in the past I guess I'll throw my two cents in as well. BMW sells reliability. Bull with a capital B. There is nothing more reliable about a BMW than a Strom. In FACT, BMW troubles are much, much more severe than the simple little glitches the Strom has. IMO BMW has gone the way of Harley. Selling an image and making boat loads of money doing it. Not only are BMWs not worth the money, to a larger and larger extent your not even getting a BMW anymore. Let the left side of your brain do some research on the BMW sites and see what kind of problems those things have.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Compared to my other bikes, I consider my wee like a truck. It does everything I ask it to and it goes where I want it to when I want it to with out ever complaining. I ride it every day to work and it never lets me down. Granted, it's not the most advanced bike or even the best looking bike, but overall, you couldn't get a better do it all bike. All it ever asks for is rear tires and ocasionally rear brake pads, and once in a while chain and sprockets. It doesn't ask for much from me compared to what I ask from it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
like most of us, i've been keeping up with the wee strom and the big GS for many years... if the GS provided justification (i.e., quality and reliability) for the price i would have bought one - i really wanted to like that bike.

BUT in the end - first hand - real life experience prevailed as i witnessed all the problems and associated costs one of my riding buddies had with his GS. as the years went by - he eventually could not afford nor trust the bike for touring. he now owns a wee - runs the dog snot out of it and loves it's reliable/cheap nature.

but he's just one of the reasons i decided on the wee.

edit... i think my riding buddy nailed it when he concluded that the GS is over-engineered for an environment where simplicity should take priority.

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
Compared to my other bikes, I consider my wee like a truck.
Interesting observation! It really is like having an 'ol beat up' Ford F150 pickup truck - you can beat the crap out of it, get it all dingy, and it still looks good and performs great. Cheap, and easy to work on, and it's not too precious if something happens to it....what's not to like!?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Since I've owned Beemers in the past I guess I'll throw my two cents in as well. BMW sells reliability. Bull with a capital B. There is nothing more reliable about a BMW than a Strom. In FACT, BMW troubles are much, much more severe than the simple little glitches the Strom has. IMO BMW has gone the way of Harley. Selling an image and making boat loads of money doing it. Not only are BMWs not worth the money, to a larger and larger extent your not even getting a BMW anymore. Let the left side of your brain do some research on the BMW sites and see what kind of problems those things have.
Yes, this side of the pond I have spoken to a couple of BMW 1200 GS owners who know that these bikes are not VERY reliable. Apparently there is quite an owners discussion always going on the owners websites. BMW were always hot on their reliability image; so if you are paying top dollar (or pounds) for your BMW and it is NOT reliable, what do you feel like?

If BMW aren't careful that reliability halo is going to slip!

Before I had my Wee I had a Triumph retro Scrambler; great fun AND 100% reliable all the time. I only bought the Wee because I wanted a bit more practicality in my biking. I must admit I do like the BMW F800 ST, but when I test rode it, the bike had very little character IMHO.

Cap'n Sensible / Dave

1 - 20 of 32 Posts