StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading here and planning for months. Last Friday I picked up my new ride, 2014 DL1000, Khaki color. Brand new leftover, they were wanting to get rid of it and I couldn't pass up the deal. A requirement for my new bike was the 90 deg V-twin. Fell in love with that engine type with my '98 Honda VTR1000. Rode that for 13 years and loved the engine and sound. What can I say, this V-Strom is so awesome, love it. Comfortable riding position, lots of torque, just great! Did first 2 mods this weekend, added gold metallic rim stripes and fabricated a new mount for the stock windscreen that raises it 3 inches. My helmet is in the sweet, calm spot now! Already on order: 1) Holeshot 17" polished pipe; 2) Soupy's adj lowering link; 3) Givi 25L tank bag; 4) OEM lower cowl and 5) touratech side stand foot. Thanks for a great site everyone, have learned a lot. Ride on!!:weapons_50:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Congratulations on your new bike. Have lots of fun with that!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Coldstream, I'm curious about the OEM lower cowl. Do you have a pic of that to share? I bought an aftermarket one for my 06 1000 and didn't know about OEM ones. Bobby

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bobby, it's the black plastic lower cowl that comes stock on the Adventure model. Google 2014 vstrom 1000 Adventure, you'll see plenty of photos. I'll be using my Strom as a streebike so I didn't see a need for one of the aftermarket 'armored' skid plates. Plus, I never found one that looks right to me. I think the OEM cowl just makes the bike look a bit more finished. It covers up that oil filter that hangs out there in the breeze. I bought it off of Ebay.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
I believe you got one left at Big M or was it St. Louis Power sports (they both had them)? I got a leftover red one a few months back from Big M. Ryan was my salesman. That was my second V-Strom through Ryan. I have 3000 miles on it already - in the winter none the less. This week looks like another good ride week (if you are retired).

Congrats!

I just put on a Givi rock fender I got from Motostorm in Italy directly inexpensively (actually I ordered everything Givi from them - Airflow, crash bars, tank bag, top case mount, skid and saved about $400). I ride the fire roads occasionally in southern Missouri but not true off-road. I had a rock hit the radiator on my 650 that a truck threw up on pavement so I put an oil filter and radiator guard on the DL1000. The Givi is only 1/8" riveted aluminum which isn't a real skid and very light weight but plenty for rocks (some don't like the looks since it isn't black). I bought everything direct from Italy for about 60% of US cost shipped. It takes about a week Fed Ex. Great customer support. They even send me quality questionnaires.

Reactions: griff010

·
Registered
127 Posts
Did first 2 mods this weekend, added gold metallic rim stripes and fabricated a new mount for the stock windscreen that raises it 3 inches. My helmet is in the sweet, calm spot now! Already on order: Soupy's adj lowering link
Congrats on the new bike. Two questions, can you post a couple of photos of the screen raising doo-dad, please? And what's this lowering link?

Thanks.

When I got mine, it was used. The guy who owned it blinged and accessorisied it to the max. I worked out that it has around $6k's worth of stuff on it. Not bad for a bike that's 2 years' old, 20,000 km (or 12,000 miles) and nearly half the price of a new one.

It's pretty much got all the stuff that that "adventure" model has, but no nice topbox or tank bag. Rather, the original owner fitted these butt-ugly aluminium looking Givi Trekker Outback panniers and top box. I've removed the panniers, just looking for a decent replacement topbox, or I might just buy the rails to fit my Ventura luggage system that I had on the Blackbird. It holds more than the Givi top box, anyway.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Congratulations. Excellent color. Wish mine was tan.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SECoda, actually I'm on the other side of the state, Kansas City area. Advantage Powersports is where I got my deal. They have another one, a '15, black, right around $10.5k is what they're asking I think. And you're right, this week looks pretty good for riding weather!

mjt57, see attached photo of my wind screen mount (well, I attached it but it won't submit 'cause I don't have 10 posts yet! I'll try that later.....sorry). I just used 1/8" thick aluminum flat stock. Painted flat black, SS fasteners. For the lowering link, go to soupysperformance.com. I found them on Ebay too.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
Nice. You may want that center stand.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Is it just me, or is your chain screaming for relief?

Reactions: DerStrominator

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Believe it or not I found that at O'Reilly Auto Parts. 1/4" wide. I debated between the silver metallic and the gold metallic. Trying the gold for now, I like it so far.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts