StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
that is gonna look good...like an imperial speeder bike.
i like the rim reflectors too btw

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
that is gonna look good...like an imperial speeder bike.
i like the rim reflectors too btw
Well he is a "Stromtrooper" after all :mrgreen:

Great looking helmet Amuro. Shoei is always fantastic quality and that will look great on the Strom, very adventure looking :yesnod:

It is almost the same design as the new XLite X551 that I have coming, that should hopefully be here this week.
I went with the XLite because of the integrated Bluetooth Intercom built in.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Very cool. And looking good. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Yep, very nice but pricey I suppose...

I have a low-price HJC (CL-16 (white)) that's served me well but I've never owned a really high quality helmet like SHOEI (and I sort-of want one).

Is the quality really 3-4X better?

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts

I have a low-price HJC (CL-16 (white)) that's served me well but I've never owned a really high quality helmet like SHOEI (and I sort-of want one).

YES, and that quality really shows itself after a few years of use.

·
Registered
56 Posts
YES, and that quality really shows itself after a few years of use.
My thoughts on helmet quality is that Shoie and Arai build helmets for racers that will crash, the HJCs of the world build helmets to "pass a test". Very different points of view. I'll take the tool designed for the job any day.

And yes the do hold up fine after lots of wearing.

For the OP that is a nice looking lid. How is the wind management behind the screen on the bike?

·
Registered
98 Posts

I'm actually doing a research project for college right now on motorcycle PPE and this is one of the things I am looking at. Technically, every helmet sold in the U.S. has to pass DOT safety tests before they can be sold. So in that regard, the $600-$800 helmet had to pass the same tests as the $100 helmet did. Crash data is a garbled mess to weed through and most of it simply focuses on whether or not the rider was wearing a helmet at the time of the crash. That said, what data that I can find really doesn't show an increased level of protection from an expensive helmet versus an inexpensive one. The build quality will be better absolutely, but as far as whether or not the expensive one is "safer" or not, it really doesn't seem to be the case.

The major difference I have seen with the more expensive helmets is the materials they use and the major thing is the weight. I picked up a new Shoei (don't remember the model) the other day and I swear it was like holding a few sheets of paper in my hand, it was that light (compared to the $100 Bilt helmet that I'm using now that probably weighs a few pounds). It was also $600, but from the weight alone, I can see where the price comes from. From a safety stand point though, it had to pass the same tests that the cheaper helmets do. There is also SNELL to look at since they have more stringent testing, but it's also voluntary on the part of the helmet manufacturer.

I've noticed a difference in build quality as well depending on price as some helmets feel more "plasticy" or feel looser than others. My $100 helmet that I have now definitely feels kind of frumpy compared to other helmets that I've looked at recently like Schuberth, Nolan, HJC, etc. The new version of the helmet that I own now, which is still carrying a $100 price tag, feels night and day different/more solid than my old discontinued model. The new one feels every bit as solid as the more expensive ones that I've played around with.

The other argument that is out there is by what level did the helmet pass the testing? They all have to pass, but did the more expensive helmet pass the test better than the cheap one? I don't know, I can't find any data to back that up to support or deny that claim. It's like someone else said, some helmets are made for professional use and I'm sure there is a difference in their build quality. But for basic street use, I have yet to really find anything that backs up an expensive helmet being better than a cheaper more affordable one.

Like jackets, boots, gloves, and the bike itself, you buy as much as you can for the budget you have to work with :thumbup:

·
Registered
35 Posts

Great looking helmet Amuro. Shoei is always fantastic quality and that will look great on the Strom, very adventure looking :yesnod:

It is almost the same design as the new XLite X551 that I have coming, that should hopefully be here this week.

Just needs one of those Storm Trooper leather sets from UD Replicas and he'll be set. :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Intergrated Bluetooth Intercom built in the helmet. Wow! It sounds great.
I want a Bluetooth Hand-free which can be installed on my new helmet too. This one is too expensive, isn't it? :eek:rig_rolleyes:
Interphone F5XT Bluetooth Helmet Headset - INTERPHONEF5XT - Bluetooth Helmet Headsets - Products - Interphone Wireless

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My thoughts on helmet quality is that Shoie and Arai build helmets for racers that will crash, the HJCs of the world build helmets to "pass a test". Very different points of view. I'll take the tool designed for the job any day.

And yes the do hold up fine after lots of wearing.

For the OP that is a nice looking lid. How is the wind management behind the screen on the bike?
The wind management is excellent. :thumbup:
http://jp.shoei.com/products/ja/helmet_detail.php?id=412

·
Registered
31 Posts

When I look for this helmet in NZ, ($700) it says "communications ready".
Does this mean I still have to buy the communications system as an extra (ie the helmet has a mic and speakers built in but requires an additional Bluetooth module). or is it a "turn on and use" product?:confused:

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
When I look for this helmet in NZ, ($700) it says "communications ready".
Does this mean I still have to buy the communications system as an extra (ie the helmet has a mic and speakers built in but requires an additional Bluetooth module). or is it a "turn on and use" product?:confused:
Sorry I should have been a bit clearer. The X551 helmet has the facility for the integrated Bluetooth, it is the BX4 kit which I ordered as well:yesnod:.

Once installed it becomes part of the helmet, and doesn't hang off the side like other brands which I have looked at.

I have used a similar set up on my Nolan N43T helmet for the past year (XLite is Nolan's premium brand) and that has been fantastic. The ability to talk with another rider, listen to the built in radio, P2P music and take phones calls is awesome :thumbup:

·
Administrator
17,395 Posts
Very nice, but all about the shape of your melon.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Very nice, but all about the shape of your melon.
Definitely agree with this.

To the OP, what is the shape of your head and how does the Hornet DS fit it? I've been considering the Arai XD but it is med oval and my head is a long oval (Arai signet-q fits me perfect).

Regarding the $100 vs $500 helmet, in my experience (I've owned both) it's mainly comfort items that drive the price up. Things like ventilation, washable liners, and weight. However, safety related, my Arai has organge pull tabs for the cheeks pads that allow first responders to remove the cheek pads and more easily remove the helmet. I have not seen this on cheaper helmets.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To the OP, what is the shape of your head and how does the Hornet DS fit it? I've been considering the Arai XD but it is med oval and my head is a long oval (Arai signet-q fits me perfect).
I have a big round head and should need an XXL sized helmet. However, the largest size of this model is XL only so this helmet is now "tight-fit" for my head but a little bit too tight for my cheeks at the moment. :bom_helmet:

·
Administrator
17,395 Posts
I have a big round head and should need an XXL sized helmet. However, the largest size of this model is XL only so this helmet is now "tight-fit" for my head but a little bit too tight for my cheeks at the moment. :bom_helmet:
Shoei is for oval heads, that is why your cheeks are so tight. :fineprint:

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Tattoo, several points---

Each helmet is not tested. The manufacturers self-certify to the DOT that samples of each style meet the FMVSS218 helmet standards. Tougher testing for the European ECE standards. Snell's lab tests samples of helmets submitted to them.

If you look at the standards, you'll find that the FMVSS218 requirements are the lowest, ECE 22.05 is tougher, and Snell is the toughest.
Motorcycle Helmet Standards Explained: DOT, ECE 22.05 & Snell

The British SHARP helmet testing shows how much each tested helmet exceeds the ECE standards...one star just reaches the standards floor, five stars is the top. The percentage of flip-up chin bars that fail during testing is shown.
SHARP Helmets - THE HELMET SAFETY SCHEME

As said above, if the helmet doesn't fit the shape and size of the rider's head just right, it isn't as safe as it needs to be. Shoei makes great helmets, but not for me...wrong internal shape. My Arai Signet-Q fits me just right, it is very comfortable, and I trust Arai to exceed the safety minimums.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts