StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, Its March 17th, my birthday is in two days and I finally am an official member of the V-Strom community, I got my bike today! . The bikes have been on the roads already this year and I'm ready to go. What could possibly go wrong?

0.3 km on the bike, 1/2 tank of gas, the suns out and its actually kinda nice out. The problem is all the white stuff

Oh well, the dealer was nice enough to drop it off for me.

I'll wait!

In to the toy room it goes.

I did a thorough inspection, removed stickers (It looked like a nascar car with all the stickers. A great big honkin sticker to tell me that if the windshield gets dirty It may impare my ability to see through it) , slight adjustment to the handle bars. That's about all I can do to it for now.
Had a good laugh at the manual. warning removing both hands from the handlebar while moving is dangerous.

I read a whole bunch of stuff on the proper way to break in a new bike. It seems that there is no right way to do it without causing some catastrophic problem and having bolts of lightening come down from the motorcycle gods.
I got so confused I've decided that I may just never start it at all.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Nice-looking bike. The best way to break it in is to ride it to some location where there's none of that white stuff on the ground. Man was never meant to live in those conditions...;)

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Wow? What is that white stuff anyway? :p

Happened to see two that color yesterday, one of which belonged to Rev Jack above (left one):

I like that dark silver - gunmetal, maybe? Dunno what the official name of the color is...

·
Registered
636 Posts
Damn snow eh, Murphy's law in effect. Bring home a new toy and can't play. Soon enough it'll be gone and you'll bombing along all over the place scaring old ladies and honking at waving children.

Congrats on the bike, you'll love it.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
So clean, so pure, so un-farkled.....mmmm...and ABS too!

Don't worry, a few drops and a couple thou in accessories and it'll just look like all the rest. ;)

Congrats on the buy. See you out there.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It's not an ABS model. They have an ABS logo on the front fender and ABS sensor slots on the brake rotors on the right side.

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
Twisty looks too comfy!

Below is slushy Manitoba Street in beautiful downtown Bracebridge.

Please do somethin' about that weather soon. I will be riding past there in May, and I want all that slush washed away. It leaves a salty and gritty taste in my mouth that I remember all too well.

Keith

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not ABS

The more research I do the more I think I made a mistake with not going ABS.
I guess I will have to be more careful and fine tune my skills so I won't really regret it.
By the way, I couldn't help myself today. I tip toed across the snow and got onto the dry road for a 14 km scoot. I little cold and a lot of sand on the backroad I live on but I was glad I did it. I realized that all of my controls needed adjustment so I spent a pleasant hour fiddling.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nice-looking bike. The best way to break it in is to ride it to some location where there's none of that white stuff on the ground. Man was never meant to live in those conditions...;)

Couldn't agree with you more........ yesterday, we got approx. 20" of the white sh** (that's how we call it up here... ;) ) I guess the Wee will stay in the garage a bit more..... You guys are driving me crazy with all the pics and ride reports..... One day, it'll be my turn.....!

Great looking bike neighbour ;) Oh and by the way, Happy B-Day! :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for the B-day wishes. make sure you let us know when you find yourself in our province so we can extend our hospitality.

Don't be too depressed, the weather looks like its going to be better by the end of the week.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Done

She be destickered.
I peeled the f$%#@ stickers off 10 minutes after I took the posted pictures. All were fairly easy except the one on the tank. Needed to buy "goo be gone" or something that cost me $5.00 and I only used 5% of the can.
Anyone need some?

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
Free accessories for your birthday

Happy Birthday, TJWelter!

Here are some accessories to make for your new machine. I made these for mine, and have carried some of them through your town at least three times, with a few more to come, I hope.

This one comes from your voluble neighbour in Barrie, yclept Heavy. Slice a 35mm film cannister obliquely, then use that to cover your ignition switch when you park. It provides a dandy rainproof cover, and disguises the switch from casual thieves and vandals.

Here's one from me: take four ten-inch strips of nylon strapping, perhaps from a discarded knapsack or some worn-out luggage. With a small soldering iron, burn a 1/4-inch hole about 3/4-inch from each end of each strap (eight holes altogether, eh). Remove the seat, then unbolt the luggage rack. Fold each nylon strap, aligning its holes. Put each bolt through the rack, then through a folded strap, and reattach the rack, with the nylon loops sticking out to the sides of the bike. You now have four sturdy points to attach bungee cords. The cords will stay where you put them, and will not mar your rack.

There is a thread about armoring your oil filter. I think you will not find it if you look for "armour". Your investment will be a tin can and a magnet and a bit of duct tape. Your result will be a sturdy guard to protect your oil filter against robotic road-kill such as angle irons, railway spikes, and spent cartridges (always a hazard on Ontario highways).

Here's the easiest add-on of all. Charitable appeals offer embossed rubber bracelets with a message supporting their cause, such as "Fight Prostate Cancer". Use one of these as an emergency brake, wrapping it around your front brake and handlebar, perhaps twice. I used this when parked on steep hills in Vancouver, and the bike always stayed put. You can carry this band on the loop of steel wire that routes throttle cables past your meters.

If you go on Ian's ride on April 29, you may want to write the route on a piece of masking tape, then stick the masking tape to the tank. If it's too long, put the last part down first, then put earlier sections on top, with a folded tab so you can peel off one layer at a time. Take all the tape off before dark, because goblins come out at night and make masking tape hard to remove the next day.

... and it's all free!

Keith

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info

Thanks for the great ideas. I spent quite a bit of time yesterday rummaging around junk drawers looking for some bits and bobs to do some minor adjustments. I'm in the process of mounting my garage door opener under the seat and running a discreet wire to a small switch.

I understand the film container thing and the oil can armour but that thing about my prostate and my brake lever was a little confusing.:confused: Maybe you could demonstrate it for me when we meet. :eek:

:eek:

TJ

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
Fine tuning. Yet another freebie!

TJW,

I took another look at the nylon straps. I said four ten-inch straps. Make it two eight-inch straps up front and two one-foot straps at the back, because the rear rack-bolts are inboard a few inches from the outside edge of the rack.

The next free upgrade comes from mokusbajusz, whose name is Balázs (pronounced BALL-ash, I believe). He lives in Hungary; his flag is represented by the red-over-white-over-green orb above the start of the word "supporting" at the top of the screen when you scroll up.

Take a square foot of aluminum foil and spray the less shiny side with glue to make it sticky. Cut it into six two-inch strips. Now disassemble your turn signal lamps one by one, removing the lenses and the sockets from inside, letting the sockets dangle by their wires. Cut the foil into slender trapezoidal strips, and stick the foil to the inside of each socket to increase the amount of light that ultimately escapes through the lens instead of being absorbed inside. If you have some foil left over, do the same with the housing of your license plate illuminator. If you STILL have some left over, stick it to the dog, to reduce the chance of tripping over him at night ... well, let the dog decide about that one. Reassemble the lamps you have disassembled and you may find they are brighter than they were. I think any increase in safety is worth a bit of exercise to achieve.

Of course, all these upgrades are much easier for me to install than they currently are for you, unless your garage is heated. You could, of course, do as twisty did in Bracebridge, and bring the bike into the living room. Perhaps that fellow is a bachelor. If he wasn't, perhaps he is now.

Stay warm!
Keith

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts