StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - been lurking here for a few months while I talked myself into buying a 650 V. The new one came out just as I was in the middle of deciding to get one, so I waited and got it.

Anyway, after 800 k's I am pretty happy. Took a couple of videos of it off road with a cheap pen cam that I had in my pocket - they are not fantastic but at least give a bit of a sense of what it is like on dirt.

Have embedded them on a blog - the post you will be interested in is this one:

2012 V-Strom 650: First Impressions

The others are me blathering on about why I decided to buy it, and what I plan to do on it - but the first impressions bit is probably the interesting stuff for this forum. Am on my honeymoon at the moment so I will not be updating it for a while :)

Cheers, bkj

·
Registered
201 Posts
wow great stuff bkj. watched both the vids and really pretty impressive off roading.

obviously not the best in that department, but certainly capable for what most of us would want.

pretty impressive "do it all" bike imho. Looking forward to seeing them on the showroom floors in the states.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Previous years allow turning off ABS by pulling the ABS valve fuse in front of the battery. Unless there is a specific warning in the manual, it ought to work for the 2012 also.

·
Registered
759 Posts
bkj, very nicely done. I have heard lots of good things about the 2012 Wee. Your review was a good one. Thanks. :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Thanks for posting that, we haven't seen them here yet. There's an orange one headed to my garage, but it seems I've another couple more months to wait.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Nice little romp...I nearly busted a gut laughing on that first paragraph.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey thanks for all the nice comments - was looking for something showing it off-road a bit when i was buying so glad those vids might be useful to people - will have the first service done in the next week or so - might take a couple of months but will shoot some more film when i get a chance and hopefully figure out a better way of attaching dodgy spy cam than my pocket - cheers, bkj.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
p10dc - bit hard to know exactly how it compares to tenere just yet as 45000 on tenere vs 800 on vstrom so am still getting to know the vstrom - but at this stage the vstrom is better everywhere except off-road where the tenere is happier and easier to deal with - suspension is the main thing i think, and probably front wheel size - basically what you would expect i would think with something that isn't really a dirt bike - cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm up in Sydney (but it's not my fault) looking at replacing my KLR for a more road orientated bike. Have my heart set on a Triumph 800 (not XC). Mate at work has just got a Triumph 800 which he loves, but it runs hot. Hot as in my knees are bloody warm and I'm sweating like a pig. I have seen pictures on the web (exhaust discolouration including the muffler) and read articles about the heat issue. In Oz we get some pretty hot days, so now I am back to the new vstrom (may be). Melbourne has some warm summer days. Have you done a ride on any hot days yet?

If any other stromtroopers have heard about the heat issue with the Triumph or ridden the Triumph 800, I'd love to hear if you found the engine heat was excessive.

Cheers

Skotti

·
Registered
308 Posts
If you watch my review video, you'll see the temp on the gauge was around 36 deg C. It has been hot up here lately. I haven't noticed any heat issues.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I test drove a new Triumph 800. Ambient temp was approx. 75 - 80 degrees. Felt Major heat for my knees/legs when going slow or at a stop. Was even too warm & noticable at speed, too. Not acceptible to me. Engine also died when I pulled the clutch in for a couple of seconds, while coasting up to a traffic light. Decided it wasn't the bike for me. Got back on my 2004 DL650 and was very glad to be "back home" !! BTW, I have a 2012 DL650ABS on order, now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
heat

With the heat - it was over thirty the day i rode it through the forest in that vid - was on it for about 1.5 hours all up - did not notice any heat problems. Was also very hot the day I picked it up and did not notice any heat from the bike in Melbourne traffic. No idea about the Triumph because I have not ridden one.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Two Questions

For those of you how have the new 2012 I have two questions. Will my center stand form my old bike work with the new model? And will I be able to put my Shad truck on the new model? From what I'm seeing it appears they will work on the new bike, but I will not de able to see the bike in person until January. I want to take off and keep what ever farkle I can. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I test drove a new Triumph 800. Ambient temp was approx. 75 - 80 degrees. Felt Major heat for my knees/legs when going slow or at a stop. Was even too warm & noticable at speed, too..
75-80F? Really? I have to wonder how it would do in Texas in July/August when it is 110-115F

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have never felt heat from the engine like that with my V-Strom 650 and I have ridden it in 100+F temps. That issue, along with some others, took the Triumph 800 off my list of bikes to consider.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts