StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Off to the dealer for the 600 mile service. I am so happy with the V-Strom Adventure so far. I am planning to trailer it from VA to Jackson WY this summer. I already had a 5x8 utility trailer from Northern Tool. I added a drive-on motorcycle chock, D-Rings and ratcheting tie downs, all from Harbor Freight. I guess I should repack the bearings and add bearing buddies before the trip. The trailer pulls just fine on short hauls.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
is that a welded-frame trailer?

is that a welded-frame trailer?

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
There are a lot of nice back roads between home and Wyoming you are going to miss riding if you trailer your bike.
I know, you and a buddy are going to drive like demons to get there and then play. I just don't get that. Seems the pleasure would be in the journey. Trailering just isn't Adventure touring.
Maybe I'se wrong.:headbang:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Could be the camera angles, but I copied this off of a trailering site.

Check level of the trailer:

Always try to maintain the trailer coupler & vehicle hitch in a level position to help minimize fishtailing. Fishtailing refers to the erratic side to side movement of the trailer. It is important when towing a trailer whether it is a bumper pull or a gooseneck style to achieve a level position when loaded. The reason for this is that you want to have an even weight displacement on the axles. For example, if the trailer is to high in the front excessive stress may be applied to the rear axle and/or if the front of the trailer is to low the front axle may become stressed. In extreme cases this can lead to axle failure due to overloading. When hitching up to an unloaded trailer we recommend having the trailer set up slightly higher in the front to allow for settling once the trailer is loaded. Further adjustment of trailer front height may be required as load conditions change.

Pretty light load compared to some but might as well eliminate problems (if they exist). Going for the summer? Nice and simple hauler.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Trailering just isn't Adventure touring.
It is when a bearing seizes.

Like you, I find trailer threads about at appealing as illustrated threads about semi-successful hemorrhoid surgery on a morbidly obese, hirsute, geriatric hermaphrodite. Still, I feel compelled to poke my nose into the trailering enthusiasts' tent and try to talk the OP down, for his/her own good.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
There are a lot of nice back roads between home and Wyoming you are going to miss riding if you trailer your bike.
I know, you and a buddy are going to drive like demons to get there and then play. I just don't get that. Seems the pleasure would be in the journey. Trailering just isn't Adventure touring.
Yeah, you're totally right. He's doing Adventure Touring all wrong. I forget all the specific rules :fineprint:, can you please provide a link or re-post them here for all of us so we can make sure we're doing it right? When a rider has checked off all the requirements, do you sign off on the Adventure Touring Merit Badge or is that someone else? :confused:

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Drgas, may I suggest straps from the crash bars or other points straight out to the sides or slightly forward to prevent the side to side sway. I'd reduce the load on the handlebar straps so they just provide stability. Do put a lock or other preventer on your trailer coupler so it can't unlatch, and carry a jack and wrench for changing a tire. Red & white DOT reflective tape on the trailer can't hurt for night driving.

Always try to maintain the trailer coupler & vehicle hitch in a level position to help minimize fishtailing. Fishtailing refers to the erratic side to side movement of the trailer.
Just not true. Fishtailing is very dangerous and is caused by too much weight behind the axle of the trailer. The trailer can be leveled even when it is tail heavy. A trailer that is level to an inch down in front is good, but a trailer with 10% or more if its total weight on the hitch is essential. By the way, the part relating to the load on double axle trailers is important for those trailers because they are usually so lightly and cheaply built that there is no margin for any overload.

About trailer bearings--the trailer hubs and wheels are so lightly built with cheapo Chinese bearings and the least possible amount of grease (yes, even new ones from the Dexter factory) that bearing failure is too common. Trailer bearings need to be removed, cleaned, inspected, replaced when necessary, regreased, and reassembled with new seals more often than one would suspect. Top quality seals, bearings, and grease are always a help. Bearing Buddies do not help--they work well for boat trailer bearings that are dunked into water, cool and suck in water.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
About trailer bearings--the trailer hubs and wheels are so lightly built with cheapo Chinese bearings and the least possible amount of grease (yes, even new ones from the Dexter factory) that bearing failure is too common. Trailer bearings need to be removed, cleaned, inspected, replaced when necessary, regreased, and reassembled with new seals more often than one would suspect. Top quality seals, bearings, and grease are always a help. Bearing Buddies do not help--they work well for boat trailer bearings that are dunked into water, cool and suck in water.
Indeed.

I bought a cheap 5x8' utility trailer, 3 years later about 500 miles into a trip I felt the hubs at a gas stop. One was noticeably warmer than the other and was leaking slightly. I stopped four times in the remaining 150 miles, it stayed warm but too hot to hold my hand on it. I took the trailer to a mechanic to replace both sets of bearings, they stayed cool on the way back. I was lucky it didn't seize up on me and cause a blow out.

When transporting non-Adventure-type-motorcycles, I use ratchet straps on the upper triple clamps. Instead of using the hook, I thread the plain end of the strap through the loop at the other end of the strap to fully capture the fork, also this doesn't squeeze the hook between the strap and the bike. The steel hook will then just hang free. This works on V-Stroms as well, you just have to engage in some awkward contortions under the fairing.

I'd be disinclined to attach to crash bars, I'd rather have the straps more directly engaged with the compressed forks.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
It is when a bearing seizes.
Apparently the supplier for the Horror Fright and Northern Tool trailers ship their wheel bearings with a light coat of grease to keep them from rusting. They expect the buyer to fully pack them with bearing grease when they assemble the trailer, but lot of them don't. I've seen 2 or 3 posts from people complaining about the "lousy Chinese trailers" when guys have fried their greaseless bearings out on the Interstate.

RTFM.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Yeah, you're totally right. He's doing Adventure Touring all wrong. I forget all the specific rules :fineprint:, can you please provide a link or re-post them here for all of us so we can make sure we're doing it right? When a rider has checked off all the requirements, do you sign off on the Adventure Touring Merit Badge or is that someone else? :confused:
"Hard-core Adventure Riding is hard to define, but I know it when I see it."

Chief Justice Potter Stewart, Jacobellis v. Ohio (1964).

·
Registered
526 Posts
PTRider - I've never tried to see if I can get a trailer to fish tail but I figured I've read/heard about/studied up on trailers when I got mine and that it seemed to be a common caution. Front weighting as you mentioned is critical according to all the same stuff I researched.

Hard to know all that's real life practical on the 'net but I figure some knowledge mixed in with common sense usually gets me home safely.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
"Hard-core Adventure Riding is hard to define, but I know it when I see it."

Chief Justice Potter Stewart, Jacobellis v. Ohio (1964).
I don't think the OP is claiming he's a "Hard Core Adventure Rider". Seems to me he's just excited about his new V-Strom and has planned a cross country trip which will includes some trailering. I think he just wants a friendly response and maybe any helpful tips about trailering from the "Non Hard Core Adventure Riders" among us who may occasionally trailer their bikes. I'm pretty sure he's not asking for approval or a critique of his planned trip! I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I don't think the OP is claiming he's a "Hard Core Adventure Rider". Seems to me he's just excited about his new V-Strom and has planned a cross country trip which will includes some trailering. I think he just wants a friendly response and maybe any helpful tips about trailering from the "Non Hard Core Adventure Riders" among us who may occasionally trailer their bikes. I'm pretty sure he's not asking for approval or a critique of his planned trip! I could be wrong though.
Nobody ever gets my jokes.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I didn't know Harley made a 650 adventure bike !!.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
A Sense of humor is a Lost Art on most. Too many literal people.
I about snorted my coffee on some of the responses.
Trailering behind a gas guzzling SUV or Truck is a most respected method of getting high mpg vehicle to a far away destination. The beauty is that the Interstate can be taken and driving be shared by multiple travelers to save time. No time lost on motels and nights wasted sleeping. You can gas and go at the fast food places an skip all those colorful Mom and Pop cafes that pollute the small towns on the back roads.
I have acquaintances that do the very thing and then put in for long distance rider at rallies.:confused:

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I trailered mine home after I bought it.

Hopefully that is the last time it's on one. :mrgreen:

I thought this thread was about a trailer hitch for the bike!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am staying in Jackson Hole for a month with my wife. We will be taking bicycles, easels, fly fishing gear etc. There will be plenty of time for adventure riding once I get to Wyoming. So I think trailering is the smart move rather than riding behind the car! My trailer is a welded frame and I have added extra bracing. Welding and metalwork is another hobby so that one was easy. The trailer is USA built by carry-ontrailers.com Yeah, I'm a little concerned about the bearings etc. Gonna have my local trailer shop check it out and I'm gonna have spares with me. The center of gravity of the bike is forward of the axle and there is no swaying under tow.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I would worry less about the trailer and more about tying down the bike.....I would take the ties off of the handlebars and put them around the tripple tree with soft ties......Other than that it all looks good to me.........TD

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sounds Good.... What's a triple tree??

·
Registered
722 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts