StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attached is a magazine article I wrote about recommendations how to ride out of the country. My last two trips were on my 2018 DL650.

The article is in The Concourier. I used to own a Kawasaki Concours 1400 so I'm still a member of that group.

As soon as things open up, I'm going to ship Señorita Wee Strom to Valparaiso, Chile and ride back to Washington State. Probably a bout 15K - 20K miles and about three months planned.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Attached is a magazine article I wrote about recommendations how to ride out of the country. My last two trips were on my 2018 DL650.

The article is in The Concourier. I used to own a Kawasaki Concours 1400 so I'm still a member of that group.

As soon as things open up, I'm going to ship Señorita Wee Strom to Valparaiso, Chile and ride back to Washington State. Probably a bout 15K - 20K miles and about three months planned.
Wow, impressive!

·
Registered
15 Posts
That was a great read. I just got my DL650 and am looking forward to some adventures of my own when things open up a bit. I'll be starting with Canada/USA trips but will hopefully get to Central America in good time.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was a great read. I just got my DL650 and am looking forward to some adventures of my own when things open up a bit. I'll be starting with Canada/USA trips but will hopefully get to Central America in good time.
You'll love it. I love riding in Mexico and Central America. The people couldn't be friendlier, and the scenery is breathtaking.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You still flying? I'm retired from United Airlines and the Air Force.

Reactions: DiscoStu

·
Registered
15 Posts
You still flying? I'm retired from United Airlines and the Air Force.
Yes, I am still flying for (hopefully) quite a few more years with Air Canada. We are fortunate to have decent travel benefits so I’ll be able to break my trips into X many days riding then leave the bike somewhere, fly home for work, and go back for it when I’m off again. A friend did a trip like that a couple of years ago.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Just read your synopsis. Excellent information. I particularly like the three wallet approach with expired cards in them.
I guess you want to be moving on quickly after handing one of them over. I started learning Spanish over the winter with an online course called Pimsleur. I do it on my phone, streaming through my hearing aids while walking the dog. The dog is nowcalled Popito (Birth name is Poppy) and I use her name extensively for my single person conversations. The Dog now probably knows more Spanish than most other local Canadian dogs. So far my favourite word by far is Desafortunademente. Not sure if that is spelled correctly unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just read your synopsis. Excellent information. I particularly like the three wallet approach with expired cards in them.
I guess you want to be moving on quickly after handing one of them over. I started learning Spanish over the winter with an online course called Pimsleur. I do it on my phone, streaming through my hearing aids while walking the dog. The dog is nowcalled Popito (Birth name is Poppy) and I use her name extensively for my single person conversations. The Dog now probably knows more Spanish than most other local Canadian dogs. So far my favourite word by far is Desafortunademente. Not sure if that is spelled correctly unfortunately.
Only one letter wrong in "unfortunately". Hahja. In addition to my Spanish studies I'm starting a course on Canadian.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Only one letter wrong in "unfortunately". Hahja. In addition to my Spanish studies I'm starting a course on Canadian.
Being half French Canadian, I could verse you on the hidden secret language that is Quebecois Joual. It is not taught in schools. Every Canadian kid in English Canada is supposed to learn French. Not a one of them knows a word of Quebecois French... Tabarnak.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Being half French Canadian, I could verse you on the hidden secret language that is Quebecois Joual. It is not taught in schools. Every Canadian kid in English Canada is supposed to learn French. Not a one of them knows a word of Quebecois French... Tabarnak.
Well, I guess they're all Romance languages with a Latin base. I'm loving my Spanish journey of the last three years. Difficult in your 60s, but fun and challenging. When you get more fluent in the future, check this out. It's where I've met all my Latin American friends that I video with. conversationexchange.com I'd wait until you're "simple conversational though". There's also a phone app Hello Talk. Good for more in the "beginner stage".

Reactions: Nicad

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Yes I should wait but that is a helpful suggestion I can hopefully take up on 6 months to a year from now. There is a funny scene in the Simpsons from many years ago where Bart is in France, held as a slave by dirty wine makers, and finally mutters a few lines in French about how they are putting Anti freeze in the wine which reminds me of how language and communication come together. One of my favourite memories of travel and biking was when I was 21, in a Campground outside of Venice (August 1980) drinking wine with some Italians, having what felt like a deep discussion on the issues. The more wine, the more Os I put on French words and somehow the channels of communication seemed to be clicking. Hell of a hangover though!

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I should wait but that is a helpful suggestion I can hopefully take up on 6 months to a year from now. There is a funny scene in the Simpsons from many years ago where Bart is in France, held as a slave by dirty wine makers, and finally mutters a few lines in French about how they are putting Anti freeze in the wine which reminds of how language and communication come together. One of my favourite memories of travel and biking was when I was 21, in a Campground outside of Venice (August 1980) drinking wine with some Italians, having what felt like a deep discussion on the issues. The more wine, the more Os I put on French words and somehow the channels of communication seemed to be clicking. Hell of a hangover though!
When I'm south of the border my Spanish capability doubles with each beer. In my own mind that is.

Reactions: Nicad

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, I had to pull the attachment because of copyright issues. My bad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts