StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sold my V-Strom 1000 2005 this morning 6100.00. It had only 12 500kilometers on it,it was like new. But now that I have childrens,it time I take a break for a few years. So long people see ya in about 7 to 8 years.I will always come a see the forum.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I dont get why you dont just ride every so often. Its not that dangerous to take a 30 mile sunday stroll to charge the battery. Sucks man... See you out there in a few years....

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I dont get why you dont just ride every so often. Its not that dangerous to take a 30 mile sunday stroll to charge the battery. Sucks man... See you out there in a few years....
$6,100.00 will buy a lot of diapers, baby formula, pediatrician bills and assorted baby gear. It'll buy a used minivan, replace Mom's maternity leave income and pay for day care when she returns to work.

I quit riding on the street for about 25 years, just after my youngest graduated college and just before the economy tanked.

Congratulations on your burgeoning family,

Norm

·
Registered
392 Posts
Congrats on the new family. I hope you don't miss the strom too much.

@Nroman: In Quebec you can take up to a year of parental leave (either parent) paid by the gov't (employment income), and there is no such thing as doctor bills with Medicare, you just have to try and find a doc.
It would still suck to replace a motorcycle with a minivan. I have heard there is some great riding up in the saguenay.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
@Nroman: In Quebec you can take up to a year of parental leave (either parent) paid by the gov't (employment income), and there is no such thing as doctor bills with Medicare, you just have to try and find a doc.
In that case Saguenay Trooper should have just gotten one of those bicycle toddler trailers to pull behind the 'Strom to take the kid doctor-hunting.

If only I had actually worked for my grade in French class instead of just seducing the teacher for it, I might consider emigrating with a woman of child-bearing age.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
What a drag it is getting older

Actually you will have more free time when they are babies then
school age. The baby doesn't know your not there.

When you start getting cranky etc.
Buy 2 million term life insurance and another sane bike like the Strom

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Buy 2 million term life insurance and another sane bike like the Strom
With a policy like that my wife might buy me a turbocharged Hyabusa and have the pool boy install a nitrous kit.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Saguenay, I understand. I received my motorcycle endorsement in 1985. I did not ride a motorcycle until I purchased my very first one, in 2004. Do the math. I waited 19 years until my kids were grown, to pursue my dream.

While you are taking a break, please know that I am going to do my best to keep a watch over your "neighborhood".

Every year, for the last three years, without fail, I make a visit to this beautiful place.

If you take the time to watch this video, about halfway through it, you will recognize the surroundings.

I wish you the best of luck and take the time to enjoy every minute!!!!

Barry

·
Registered
175 Posts
I took a 25 year sabbatical from riding, which coincidentally started the month I got married. Used the money from the bike to help put a down payment on a home. I have been married 28 years and raised two fine boys (young men now) While I missed riding occasionally I never regretted using those 25 years for my family. My wife bought me a Sportster for my 50th birthday, A DL-1000 a year later.

I found I am enjoying riding much more now than when I was younger, and much dumber. My boys ride with me when they can. Your family is much more important than any machine.

A motorcycle will always be there when you are ready to return.

Dusty

·
Registered
185 Posts
I chose to ride even after both my girls were born. I warned my wife prior to getting married, bikes would always be in the picture. First daughter is married, second is three years from moving out. Thankfully, I'm still alive.
I totally respect your decision to hang it up for your family. Completely understandable. We'll see you in another 10 or whatever suits your family.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I guess you gotta do what you gotta do and it's different for everyone, but I just gotta ask. Why do people feel the need to do this? Why the mindset, "I got kids now...guess my life has to be put on hold." Sorry Partner but, for me, I'd have to call foul. I raised both my kids AND kept my bikes. Motorcycles and family ARE NOT mutally exclusive and our time entwined within the mortal coil is just too damn short not to enjoy the ride. No matter what, I guess the Bottom Line always stays the same. Regardless of anyone else's choice, you have to live with your own. Best of Luck.

·
Registered
779 Posts
The difference is when I was younger was:how fast, how many thrills, how many chances(stupid or really stupid). Now I go much further , longer trips and I notice everything along the way, I ride fast still take very calculated chances. Trouble is still out there but it's not looking for me like some heat seeking missile.
Enjoy the kids. Right now it's makes a big difference how they will turn out as adults.

Les

·
Registered
456 Posts
A couple of years ago when my wife was dying she asked me to stop riding until our youngest daughter had finished school in case I did myself in and left Ilona parentless. So after 40 years of riding I sold the bike and hung up the leathers until January this year when my daughter started uni. Then I bought the 650. Kath and I were married for 34 years and had put a lot of miles - and a couple of crashes - on the bikes together, so she knew the risks. Motorcycling is an inherently dangerous past-time and you both have to be comfortable with the risk involved - but bear in mind that growing up with your kids will give you much more joy in your life than biking ever could.

Dave.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Just sold my V-Strom 1000 2005 this morning 6100.00. It had only 12 500kilometers on it,it was like new. But now that I have childrens,it time I take a break for a few years. So long people see ya in about 7 to 8 years.I will always come a see the forum.
I took 22 years off...after roadracing and street riding before i came back...all my kids are a bit bigger and I'm a LOT slower then I used to be<LOL>.

Take care....good decision!!

jeff

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I'll chime in as another who took a long break from riding due to parenthood (3 boys, 2 stepsons and 1 of my own)...there's no reason to ever have to explain or defend your choices, if it makes sense to you and feels good and right, then do it. Those darn kids do grow fast and the time will slip away faster than you think it will...don't let anything get in the way of your opportunities to be with 'em and raise them...you can end up kicking yourself for not being the parent you wanted to be, much easier than kicking yourself for not riding as much as the next guy.

Kudos to your level of commitment, you'll do great - Enjoy your time and see you on the flip side!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts