StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having to replace my battery recently due to failure to keep properly charged, I decided to install a SparkBright voltage monitor. I chose this one due to it's simplicity and extremely small size. It is reasonable priced and was shipped very quickly from the U.K.
Pic shows a steady Orange which means battery is OK with ignition off.

Their website has all the info....
Eclipse Battery Voltage Monitor | SparkBright

·
Registered
480 Posts
Having to replace my battery recently due to failure to keep properly charged, I decided to install a SparkBright voltage monitor. I chose this one due to it's simplicity and extremely small size. It is reasonable priced and was shipped very quickly from the U.K.
Pic shows a steady Orange which means battery is OK with ignition off.

Their website has all the info....
Eclipse Battery Voltage Monitor | SparkBright
Hey DL1000, can I ask which model of SparkBright voltage monitors you decided to pick from the following list and why? Might help me to decide which one to get.

Monsoon10 -
Monsoon8 -
Monsoon5 -

Eclipse10 -
Eclipse8 -
Eclipse5 -

Thanks,
gdrew

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Hey DL1000, can I ask which model of SparkBright voltage monitors you decided to pick from the following list and why? Might help me to decide which one to get.

Monsoon10 -
Monsoon8 -
Monsoon5 -

Eclipse10 -
Eclipse8 -
Eclipse5 -

Thanks,
gdrew
If I may butt in...I got the Eclipse 8. The Eclipse is the self-dimming one and I wanted that feature. If you connect it directly to the battery, when you cover the bike it dims and the current draw is very low, less than 2mA. As far as the size, I wanted a larger one that would show up better, and someone at the company told me the 8 was about the same brightness as the 10 and required a smaller mounting hole.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
THis is great. Did you wire it directly to the battery?
I have one to put on the Gixxus and haven't installed it yet, but probably will wire to the battery. I was going to ask Pilot this question. I think it would be fine, especially if it's dark most of the time (covered or in a shed), and if it isn't ridden for a couple weeks probably should put it on a tender (which I do anyway). To put the power consumption in perspective, a typical AA alkaline battery can supply 2mA of current for about two months continuously. (Edit - of course, you would need 8 AA batteries to power the Sparkbright.)

If wiring to the battery was a concern and you didn't want to install a relay just for the light, you could always put a small toggle switch inline next to the light so you could turn it off if not ridden for long periods.

·
Registered
480 Posts
If I may butt in...I got the Eclipse 8. The Eclipse is the self-dimming one and I wanted that feature. If you connect it directly to the battery, when you cover the bike it dims and the current draw is very low, less than 2mA. As far as the size, I wanted a larger one that would show up better, and someone at the company told me the 8 was about the same brightness as the 10 and required a smaller mounting hole.
Yes, I was thinking the Eclipse 8 to for the reasons you mentioned. Did you get them to extend the wires for you or were they long enough for your install?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Yes, I was thinking the Eclipse 8 to for the reasons you mentioned. Did you get them to extend the wires for you or were they long enough for your install?
I have not installed yet, but it just has stock length wires, 24" long, looks to be only 24 gauge individual wires, easy to extend. I'll either put the wires in a sleeve or wrap with tape for protection and connect to the battery through a small fuse of 1 amp or less.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have not installed yet, but it just has stock length wires, 24" long, looks to be only 24 gauge individual wires, easy to extend. I'll either put the wires in a sleeve or wrap with tape for protection and connect to the battery through a small fuse of 1 amp or less.
I'll likely do the same, thanks G-Dub.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts