Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's nice to see that Suzuki is still improving the V-Strom with antilock brakes and other minor modifications. (Wish they would tell us for sure why they made the other changes.) It is sad when manufacturers make no changes to a bike for many years. My compliments to Suzuki!

Most of our minor complaints can be solved by the application of aftermarket farkles, but there are some that really need to be addressed by the factory wizards. I think these are:

1. Wider range of gear ratios

2. Greater alternator output

I think just about all DL650 owners would appreciate these changes regardless of how they use their bikes. I don't think there is much point trying to fix the seat or windscreen because riders have such different requirements.

Take Care,

Mike Brown
Vancouver, WA

·
Registered
180 Posts
Wake up Suzuki, this is your chance to win big!

It's nice to see that Suzuki is still improving the V-Strom with antilock brakes and other minor modifications. (Wish they would tell us for sure why they made the other changes.) It is sad when manufacturers make no changes to a bike for many years. My compliments to Suzuki!

Most of our minor complaints can be solved by the application of aftermarket farkles, but there are some that really need to be addressed by the factory wizards. I think these are:

1. Wider range of gear ratios

2. Greater alternator output

I think just about all DL650 owners would appreciate these changes regardless of how they use their bikes. I don't think there is much point trying to fix the seat or windscreen because riders have such different requirements.

Take Care,

Mike Brown
Vancouver, WA

Hi Mike, just hafta say that changing the 650's seat would be a good thing....Suzuki knows that the current seat only works for flyweights and that more foam and harder foam is needed to make the seat work in the american market at a minimum. There is no reason that the bike could not be offered with a choice of seats. Order what you need from the get go. Not an extra cost add on after the sale...that sucks from a customer's viewpoint, and while I am at it, Suzuki could lead the marketplace by providing a range of spring and shock combinations for the discerning buyer. They would be building a better product and yes, it would add some cost to the bike, but wouldnt you pay an extra hundred or two initially to get a seat that works and a shock and spring that is valved/sized right for your weight????? Sure you would and so would I and thousands of other people too. This could be a marketing master stroke for them. Allow some personalization, have spring and shock combos at the dealers so if you need more or less than the standard, one-size-fails-to-fit-all spring, you can get it when the bike is assembled at the dealer. Happier customers mean more profit for Suzuki and for their dealer network. Everybody wins....

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Doubling the price and calling it the result of German Engineering would make it seem improved.

I wish they would include a chrome turbocharger with NOS.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Doubling the price and calling it the result of German Engineering would make it seem improved.
Suzuki could almost claim that now anyway.
The whole Strom project was driven by Suzuki's German subsidiary in much the same way the original Katana was.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
This thread got me to thinking of why I like the Wee so much, even more than those "why do you like your V-Strom" threads. Of the 18 or so bikes I have owned over the years, this is the only one for which I don't have a ready list of desired improvements. It's just about perfect right out of the box (of course, I don't consider farkles to be modifications to the basic platform).

The only feature I disliked from the beginning -- and this is merely a cosmetic consideration -- were the ugly, easy-to-damage and essentially functionless plastic tank side panels, so I simply took them off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd like to see an adjustable windscreen ala the madstad, it seems most people are able to tailor the windscreen to better suit them with it. For the 650 I would like to see them add a fake cannister on the non exhaust side and maybe stick a tire repair kit or something in it. And I would like to see some sort of auxillarly electrical outlet for guys with a gps or electric vest. I like the bike a lot stock, but the factory guys with all their resources can and should continue to refine and fine tune the bike.

·
Registered
181 Posts

I wish they would include a chrome turbocharger with NOS.
I'm with Stromin'Nroman on the Turbo and NOS at least as a option and perhaps "Full Time Two Wheel Drive" or "AWD" of course optional.
Also the luggage rack Hibachi Grill option could be a joint Suzuki/Givi venture.

"Ich liebe mein Strom"

·
Registered
300 Posts
The only feature I disliked from the beginning -- and this is merely a cosmetic consideration -- were the ugly, easy-to-damage and essentially functionless plastic tank side panels, so I simply took them off.
Any pics without the side panels?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Feedback after first season

I have completed my first season with my 2010 DL650 (ABS). I am very pleased with the machine with the exception of:

a) a centre stand should be standard equipment.
b) I'm 5'8" and have never ridden a machine that gives such helmet buffetting
(in all oem windshield positions) - time for the aftermarket stuff.
c) hand guards should be standard equipment
d) nice to have a tire pressure monitoring system available as an oem accessory.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This thread got me to thinking of why I like the Wee so much, even more than those "why do you like your V-Strom" threads. Of the 18 or so bikes I have owned over the years, this is the only one for which I don't have a ready list of desired improvements. It's just about perfect right out of the box (of course, I don't consider farkles to be modifications to the basic platform).

I'd like to see pictures of that. They do seem pretty useless, other than a little wind deflection and style. I agree with the higher front fender, and would also love to see aftermarket wind protection for the legs.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Being a chain dragger and not a race bike, the bike needs a center stand for proper (i.e.-often & regular) chain maintenance.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I've had many many bikes but the DL650 is the best one so far as versatility and economy. The ME in me started crunching numbers and I think bumping up the cc to 700 without increasing the weight would be great. Here are my thoughts on such a change: First the increased piston size will have about .005% change in overall weight. The mileage will decrease by about 3 or 4 mpg which is still in the very good range. But the horse power will increase (conservatively) by about 6 or 8. If Suzuki has learned any new tricks in the last few years, maybe even a 10HP increase. That in my opinion would give us a little extra on the highway when we are all loaded down for a long trip with an acceptable decrease in mileage.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Wetter Mind Banagement
Wetter Mind Banagement
Wetter Mind Banagement
Wetter Mind Banagement
Wetter Mind Banagement
Wetter Mind Banagement
Wetter Mind Banagement
Wetter Mind Banagement
Wetter Mind Banagement