StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I've used SW Motech center stands, 3 of them, with no complaints, but the Happy Trails stands are notably less expensive so I thought I'd give one a try. I placed an order online and received a shipping date about 4 weeks away, with an explanation for pandemic-related delays. About 5 weeks after placing my order, I had the stand in my hands.
It comes pre-assembled and the first photo shows how it comes out of the box. The instructions were not the best but the procedure seemed pretty self explanatory.
The bracket shown in the second photo is the mounting point. The top and bottom holes are threaded. Clear the threads in those holes before proceeding. There's factory paint and grease and debris on them and the mounting bolts can't wait to jamb in the threads. I didn't do a very good job of this and suffered accordingly.
The factory instructions have you begin installation on the left side of the bike. Those two bolts are simple. The upper bolt on the right side is a bastard to access because of the exhaust. If I had a 6mm Allen in a 10" extension this job would have been easier. In the end, I tightened the 3 installed bolts while lining up the stand with the bracket so that top bolt could be fed on the end of my 7" Allen key through the obstructions into the hole.
The instructions emphasize that the stand is not meant to be used with someone sitting on the bike - it isn't a ride-off stand. The long lever on the side makes it relatively easy to deploy the stand and the back wheel sit high enough to spin freely. The stand has been on the bike for just a few days so I can't speak to it's durability.

·
Premium Member
4,274 Posts
I had the Suzuki stand on my 2014. I liked it because it had the extra brace supports. I see the one you installed has a small triangle welded as a support, but I wonder how long that bar will last.
This is the suzuki one

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the Suzuki stand on my 2014. I liked it because it had the extra brace supports. I see the one you installed has a small triangle welded as a support, but I wonder how long that bar will last.
This is the suzuki one
View attachment 282835

This is the SW Motech. The three that I've owned were trouble-free. These days, they're priced at almost 100.00 more than last time I ordered one.
Happy Trails has a good rep, so we'll see how the stand holds up.
The Suzuki unit looks to be the sturdiest.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,769 Posts
"The instructions emphasize that the stand is not meant to be used with someone sitting on the bike - it isn't a ride-off stand."

Guilty of using the SW Motech stand in precisely that manner. It's easier for me to get on the bike when on the center stand and ride or push the bike off the center stand. Can't imagine a stand built so lightly built it couldn't take that use.
My G650GS BMW is abused the same way.

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
"The instructions emphasize that the stand is not meant to be used with someone sitting on the bike - it isn't a ride-off stand."

Guilty of using the SW Motech stand in precisely that manner. It's easier for me to get on the bike when on the center stand and ride or push the bike off the center stand. Can't imagine a stand built so lightly built it couldn't take that use.
Not sure I have ever taken a centerstand down without being on the bike - not that you have much weight on the bike when you are pushing it off the stand.

But maybe this is a disclaimer more aimed at folks who are pushing the limits of modern metalurgy ;)

·
Registered
15,769 Posts
Pushing the limits of Modern metallurgy, now that's funny. When has metallurgy been better?
Best stuff in the world back in 1912 was some shit steel that got brittle in cold water and shattered like glass. DOH!
On my '89 R100GSwife and I were two up and in some instances I could deploy the stand and park with both of us on it and ride off same.

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Pushing the limits of Modern metallurgy, now that's funny. When has metallurgy been better?
Best stuff in the world back in 1912 was some shit steel that got brittle in cold water and shattered like glass. DOH!
On my '89 R100GSwife and I were two up and in some instances I could deploy the stand and park with both of us on it and ride off same.
It was a fat joke ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The mounting bracket on the DR 650 concentrates the stress load in a pretty small area and the Happy Trails stand doesn't have some of the gusseting seen on other stands. The SW Motech stand I installed on my DR 650 mounted to the pegs and was a relatively wide load area. Because of the tall seat height, I often mounted that bike on the stand.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Okay, you woke me up with this one. Can I get some help determining which centerstand I have here on the '04 I got last August? Hopefully this picture shows the mount and central spring arrangement well enough to help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So it does, thanks.
Now if only I can shorten it a bit. I've lowered the bike on the way to making it a light road-only tourer. Filling a need, there.
It won't be as simple as some others stands I've fooled with.

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
So it does, thanks.
Now if only I can shorten it a bit. I've lowered the bike on the way to making it a light road-only tourer. Filling a need, there.
It won't be as simple as some others stands I've fooled with.
How much did you lower the bike? I lowered mine 3/4" and the centerstand still works fine (DL1000). Can't lower them much more than that due to the limitation on how much you can lower the forks in the tree and how crappy they handle if the front end isn't even/lower than the rear.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I went down about an inch. I did the SV650 front wheel job to get the front down and Soupy's adjustables in the rear.
I'm no centerstand sissy- I park my FJR1300 on its centerstand every day and did the same for all of the Wings- but this one is pretty tough as it's set up right now. I have to use a 2-by block to make it easy enough.
'Course, I am getting a bit older by the day.

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
I went down about an inch. I did the SV650 front wheel job to get the front down and Soupy's adjustables in the rear.
I'm no centerstand sissy- I park my FJR1300 on its centerstand every day and did the same for all of the Wings- but this one is pretty tough as it's set up right now. I have to use a 2-by block to make it easy enough.
'Course, I am getting a bit older by the day.
I've got an FZ1 and I would say that at stock height the center stand geometry is a lot better on the Yamaha - takes a ton less effort.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
View attachment 282830 View attachment 282831 View attachment 282832

I've used SW Motech center stands, 3 of them, with no complaints, but the Happy Trails stands are notably less expensive so I thought I'd give one a try. I placed an order online and received a shipping date about 4 weeks away, with an explanation for pandemic-related delays. About 5 weeks after placing my order, I had the stand in my hands.
It comes pre-assembled and the first photo shows how it comes out of the box. The instructions were not the best but the procedure seemed pretty self explanatory.
The bracket shown in the second photo is the mounting point. The top and bottom holes are threaded. Clear the threads in those holes before proceeding. There's factory paint and grease and debris on them and the mounting bolts can't wait to jamb in the threads. I didn't do a very good job of this and suffered accordingly.
The factory instructions have you begin installation on the left side of the bike. Those two bolts are simple. The upper bolt on the right side is a bastard to access because of the exhaust. If I had a 6mm Allen in a 10" extension this job would have been easier. In the end, I tightened the 3 installed bolts while lining up the stand with the bracket so that top bolt could be fed on the end of my 7" Allen key through the obstructions into the hole.
The instructions emphasize that the stand is not meant to be used with someone sitting on the bike - it isn't a ride-off stand. The long lever on the side makes it relatively easy to deploy the stand and the back wheel sit high enough to spin freely. The stand has been on the bike for just a few days so I can't speak to it's durability.
Spring is here and the weather has been spectacular so I blew off work for the last two days and put some miles on the Wee. I began to notice a banging sound while moving. It wasn't something you could ignore. Front and back wheels were rotating freely with no noises. Putting the bike on the centerstand and idling in first gear produced no noises. I removed the Happy Trails centerstand - the noise was gone.
Next step for me is to research Happy Trails' return policy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Spring is here and the weather has been spectacular so I blew off work for the last two days and put some miles on the Wee. I began to notice a banging sound while moving. It wasn't something you could ignore. Front and back wheels were rotating freely with no noises. Putting the bike on the centerstand and idling in first gear produced no noises. I removed the Happy Trails centerstand - the noise was gone.

Next step for me is to research Happy Trails' return policy.
i-nqtmrFb-S.jpg
i-sBM96R9-S.jpg

In the daylight, and absent a cloud of mosquitos around my head, I took another look at the Happy Trails center stand. There were two spots where the stand was touching my suspension members. I used the Dremel on one and added a bumper on the other. When I find an opportunity later today I'll take a test ride.

Edit: Test ride successful, no more scary sounds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts