StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the Wiki "New owners checklist" they mention to check that the front tire is running in the direction of the arrow. Mine is backwards.

Anyone else notice this? Is it a problem?

·
Registered
319 Posts
It's a problem..
You COULD just turn the rim around and re-install the rim/tire in the right direction, but if you have some miles on that tire, there's a chance that switching direction could loosen some belts inside..

I'd take it back to the dealer and request a new tire, mounted correctly..

Chances are, it'd be fine, but there's no reason to take chances on a new bike, under warranty.. :shock:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only have about 350 miles on it. Hmm, I just got back from trying to find a freakin 19mm allen head socket to take the front wheel off but can't find it anywhere! Tried Lowes, Kragen Auto, Napa, Sears, and even the motorcycle shop!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No need, I read an article that mentions that a spark plug socket may have a 19mm "head" on it, and luckily I have 3 or 4 of them and one of them has a 19mm head. So just turn it around and stick an extension in the other end (take out the rubber thing) and you're all set. :) Saves me $30 and the headache of trying to find one.

Looks like I'll be riding this weekend after all. :D :D

·
Registered
360 Posts
Try these guys: http://www.mcmaster.com. I just ordered a 19mm Allen socket to torque the swingarm pivot. I don't remember how much it was but somewhere around $12 sounds right. I can't remember if the wheel cares which way it's mounted, or not.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
If there is an arrow, it makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
TomG said:
Try these guys: http://www.mcmaster.com. I just ordered a 19mm Allen socket to torque the swingarm pivot. I don't remember how much it was but somewhere around $12 sounds right. I can't remember if cares the wheel which way it's mounted, or not.

The wheel might not but the tire does!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tom, Grey, Compared,

Yes both the wheel and the tire have an arrow pointing in the direction the wheel and tire should rotate. Luckily BOTH the wheel and tire were backwards so I don't have to take it somewhere to reverese the tire. :)

Well all done. Just need to look up the torque settings for the bolts. I was hoping this would be more of an "adventure" but it was pretty easy with no surprises. My surprise will probably be a desinegrated tire in a couple months. :D :D

I can see how the dealer would make this mistake: The rear tread is angled downward ("V" shape) in the direction of travel, so they figured the front should probably also be that way. But in reality the tread on the front is supposed to be angled outward like an upside down "V". Pretty dumb not to look for an arrow though.

·
Registered
640 Posts
ChrisW123 said:
I only have about 350 miles on it. Hmm, I just got back from trying to find a freakin 19mm allen head socket to take the front wheel off but can't find it anywhere! Tried Lowes, Kragen Auto, Napa, Sears, and even the motorcycle shop!
Are the 1Ks 19mm? My Wee is a 12mm allen to remove the front wheel. A 12mm allen socket is a big enough pain to find.

·
Registered
360 Posts
MATTMAN said:
ChrisW123 said:
Are the 1Ks 19mm? My Wee is a 12mm allen to remove the front wheel. A 12mm allen socket is a big enough pain to find.
Any Allen socket over 10mm is impossible to find in stores around here. I found a regular 12mm Allen wrench at Sears and cut a 3/4" pice off with a Dremel tool and then used a 12mm hex socket to get a torque wrench on it.

ChrisW, I could see myself getting confused about the tire direction but the service guys at the shop should have gotten it right. Good to hear you got it straightened out without much trouble.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MATTMAN said:
Yep, mines a 19mm monster. The tool would have cost $27 at the Suzuki dealer, but I used a backwards spark plug socket instead! Worked great.

·
Registered
441 Posts
must-have axle tool, fits 'em all

The Motion Pro Hex Axle tool is a good investment if you like nice tools. It's not that much money and it is a beautiful piece of alloy that fits not one, two, or three, but FOUR large hex axles sizes. I bought mine after using the old bolt with two nuts jammed on it for a while. The Motion Pro Tool is MUCH nicer.

Check it out!

http://www.motionpro.com/parts/tools/product/t-6_hex_axle_tool/

Gadgetman, out.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: must-have axle tool, fits 'em all

MWValley said:
The Motion Pro Hex Axle tool is a good investment if you like nice tools. It's not that much money and it is a beautiful piece of alloy that fits not one, two, or three, but FOUR large hex axles sizes. I bought mine after using the old bolt with two nuts jammed on it for a while. The Motion Pro Tool is MUCH nicer.

Check it out!

http://www.motionpro.com/parts/tools/product/t-6_hex_axle_tool/

Gadgetman, out.
Hmm, I will admit that is a nice looking piece of aluminum! But for $40 I'm wondering if I would ever use the other sizes (besides the 19mm)? I don't think my bike has any other hex nuts that big or small. Plus it's rated to "only" 90 ft/lbs. (the 24mm size) and wondering if that would be enough considering the 19mm required 72 (76?) ft/lbs of torque?

And it doesn't mention if the outter ends pull out (or push in) allowing access to the inner sizes. If it doesn't, it would be impossible to use the inner sizes!

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
I needed a 12 MM. for the front axle on the Wee. Finally went to an industrial supply and ordered an allen wrench after failing to find one at the usual stores. I also picked up real wrenches and sockets to adjust the chain. Here's hoping the wrenches fit under the seat.. Wrench On.

Z

·
0 Posts
I'm very confused at the moment. I just went out to check my front tire, and unless my eyes have deceived me (and since it's midnight, that is a possibility), one side of the tire has an arrow going one way, and the other side of the tire has an arrow going the opposite way.

Is this possible? :shock:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The 12mm is an off the shelf item at Sears.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
I am sure it available at Sears, but Sears south of the border. For some silly reason a few seamingly common tools never make it to the GWN shelves. I have been lucky enough to find the flaw in the system a few times. Not just Sears mind you. It must be my karma or something to really have to work for the simplest things in life. Keep The Shiny Side Up.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
zady said:
I'm very confused at the moment. I just went out to check my front tire, and unless my eyes have deceived me (and since it's midnight, that is a possibility), one side of the tire has an arrow going one way, and the other side of the tire has an arrow going the opposite way.

Is this possible? :shock:
WHAAATT!!! LOL, I didn't notice that on my tire but I'll have to double check when I get home. That would be halarious. :D

Take another look at the "arrows" they are kind of funky looking arrows so maybe you misread them?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
greywolf said:
The 12mm is an off the shelf item at Sears.
I think when I went to Sears they only had up to 10mm but not sure. If you have a Napa Auto Parts near you try there also. Apparently they have a good selection of "large tools". The one by me didn't have what I was looking for, but it appeared they were just out of stock rather then didn't carry them. FYI.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts