StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My first ride today on my New 2011 V Strom

First impressions, suspension real nice. Handles great. I know they say it need a fork brace and will put one on, but coming from the Valkyrie it eats the curves up. Got to get use of setting up high. Good power and wasn't disappointed at all. Got home and put the windshield as high as it will go. Will ride some more tomorrow and give another report. Can't judge on the seat yet, only did 50 miles. Will need some risers for sure. Once I get them on then maybe be able to check the seat then. Got a long list of mods to put on. Will take a while being I'm having to put accessories on my wife's Can Am Spyder. Will be asking questions when I can't find them in the search mod. All in all this is going to be a good one.
David (Warlock)

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
First impressions, suspension real nice. Handles great. I know they say it need a fork brace and will put one on, but coming from the Valkyrie it eats the curves up. Got to get use of setting up high. Good power and wasn't disappointed at all. Got home and put the windshield as high as it will go. Will ride some more tomorrow and give another report. Can't judge on the seat yet, only did 50 miles. Will need some risers for sure. Once I get them on then maybe be able to check the seat then. Got a long list of mods to put on. Will take a while being I'm having to put accessories on my wife's Can Am Spyder. Will be asking questions when I can't find them in the search mod. All in all this is going to be a good one.
David (Warlock)
Yep that is what I was trying to say

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Dave,

Glad you enjoyed it.

Where you live you'll be able to get past the break-in period in no time.

Cheers,

Norm

·
Registered
24 Posts
Congratulations. The closest curves to Magnolia is probably Hwy 587 between Foxwoth and Monticello. The older I get, the lighter I like my bikes.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Out of curiosity, is there enough slack in the front brake line to add bar backs on the 2012? I have the 2009 with ABS and you have to change the front brake lines when you add bar backs.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Out of curiosity, is there enough slack in the front brake line to add bar backs on the 2012? I have the 2009 with ABS and you have to change the front brake lines when you add bar backs.
Mine is a new 11 model. Anyway just got back taking a night ride. High beam good lights, low beam needs help.
David

·
Registered
459 Posts
High beam good lights, low beam needs help.
Wind the adjuster up and centre the beams - mine were pointing at the floor and almost full left when I bought it, but adjusted properly they put out nearly as much light and coverage as the twin 55w spots plus headlights on my Bandit. Stroms have probably the best lights in the motorcycle world at the moment.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just got my new WEE-Strom 2011 on Saturday and my first ride from the dealer was back home through the Adelaide Hills 110kms away. My first big ride for 30 odd years and i was impressed with the power considering i had to keep it under 5000rpm.

·
Registered
242 Posts
as a newer 'Stromer, I dig the lights. too many deer around here to meet!

·
Registered
78 Posts
First impressions, suspension real nice. Handles great.
I agree. I used to ride a vstar 650, not nearly a big cruiser like valkyrie, but I definitely think that suspension and handling is far better. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Customizing windshields - a task that never ends?

You mentioned adjusting the windshield to its maximum height.

I did that, and rode from Toronto to Vancouver BC and back. Liked it.

Then I adjusted the windshield to its minimum height.

I rode from Toronto to St. John's Newfoundland and back. Liked it.

I think it's still on its lowest setting, five years later.

Yet, when I ride with a dozen other Stromtroopers in Ontario,
I see that I have the only stock windshield. Those men and women
have every imaginable bracket, size of plastic, and added surfaces.
I have no idea whether any one of them is as satisfied as I am.

After some thirty years with no windshield, then ten years with a big one,
then six years of looking through and over the Strom's stock shield,
I learn that I am very easy to please in that department.

I hope you are as lucky. Welcome to the ranks of the assimilated.
Keith

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Mine is a new 11 model. Anyway just got back taking a night ride. High beam good lights, low beam needs help.
David
In what sense? Light output? Are they misaligned or one of the bulbs burned out? My low beams light up the fricken' neigbourhood... High beams are just crazy when it comes to the amount of light they throw down the road.... The V-strom has about the best lighting of pretty much any bike I have owned...

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Good now change the oil and filter

When its warm just take off the stupid windshield and wear a full face helmet.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
In what sense? Light output? Are they misaligned or one of the bulbs burned out? My low beams light up the fricken' neigbourhood... High beams are just crazy when it comes to the amount of light they throw down the road.... The V-strom has about the best lighting of pretty much any bike I have owned...
Might have to check and see if they are adjusted correctly. I guess these adjust the same way I adjust my other ones. I take a tape measure and measure half way of the light while bike is straight up and then I mark it on the wall but 2 inches lower than what I measured move bike back 17 ft from the wall and light should hit the line I put on the wall and run a little to the right. This is how I have set all my other bikes in the past. Also forgot to mention this is done with the lights on dim.
David

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Stroms have probably the best lights in the motorcycle world at the moment.

mirrors my experience.... even on low, a lot of approaching vehicles flash their highs at me for relief....

so I give them the "night suns" (highbeams) :thumbup:

I love the lights on this bike.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
mirrors my experience.... even on low, a lot of approaching vehicles flash their highs at me for relief....

so I give them the "night suns" (highbeams) :thumbup:

I love the lights on this bike.
Have you reduced the rear preload?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey all, I just got my 2011 on Jan. 24 thinking it will just sit in the garage till spring get a little closer, well guess what - spring came early this year or maybe winter never came but I got about a week worth of riding in lately. Now have 551 miles on it and loving every minute. Put the OEM handguards on this morning and let me tell you they are great!!! Can't wait till I can get that first trip in:hurray: Picture is at Van Sandt airport from yesterday.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts