StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got me a 2016 at a good price a couple weeks ago. It's my second motorcycle, after putting 100k in my Triumph Bonneville. I've really enjoyed touring on that thing, but it's time to add a fresher bike to the stable so on comes the V-Strom.

I've thought a lot about what bike to augment the Bonnie with. No one bike does everything. I really never decided, but the deal on the V-Strom was too good to ignore. But I figured, it'll be better on the highway and better planted on the fire roads. I bit boring, a bit ugly, but functional enough I figured. And if I didn't like it, I could probably sell it at a profit.

So, I took a ride out the the WI Dells and back last weekend. I let the Kurvinger app pick my routes, cause that thing is pretty awesome. Coming home I kinda followed the Wisconsin river to the Mississippi before heading north, so it was about a 300m day.

My impressions: The V-Strom has a bunch of niceties. Bright headlights, bright signal indicators, rear view mirrors where you can see beyond your shoulders, a tach, gear indicator, a seat that is easily removable, a seat the is comfortable, time and temp, a huge gas tank. All things the Bonnie doesn't have, or didn't. Some of those omissions I rectified.

The biggest difference is the suspension. Huge! It eats up bumps, my teeth never cracked together once. The V-Strom may not even me "better" than the Bonnie on gravel. That seems to be a problem with the rider, not not the bike. But it is a few thousand percent more comfortable.

And the windshield. It and I are not at peace yet, but we're getting there and I think I'm going to end up liking it. I have a cheap extender on it now that helps with the helmet buffeting. I hate looking through and around it though. I'll get used to it, and get it adjusted right.

And the power band. When I first started riding it I found it quick and efficient, but (apologies), boring. But I came to understand the thing better, and understand when to rev it high and when to let it lay back. I found the power band, and come to really like the thing. I had a bunch of fun running along the river riding the high revs, letting the engine brake some going in and accelerating out. I even could hear the engine sound a bit growly, like a proper motorcycle.

Damn, I have to say, by the end of the trip I though the thing even looked good! It shall not be sold off, I kinda like it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yes, much to love about these bikes, glad you're appreciating yours. One of my joys is to take a
right turn at about 20 mph in 4th gear, the motor pops and burbles like a little Harley until the revs come up.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Hey neighbor,
Glad your enjoying that vstrom. I agree about it being more comfy than the bonny, suspension wise.
I took the bonny out the other day, and those bumps beat me up.
Your north of me a bit, but we get to ride the same hills.
The windshield is easily correctable with a madstad bracket and different shield.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll check out the madstad. After cases/brackets and center stand and some other misc stuff, I'm hoping to delay further spending until next summer. Windscreen, crash bars and sump protector are on the list next.

I need to spend more time on the south side of the Wisconsin R below Praire du Chien. I really like that road along the river, and there seems to be a bunch of gravel south of that. It's a bit out of my daily riding range, might need to camp down there or something.

Next test of the bike will be next week, going to take 9 days and ride around N Wisconsin and the UP, some camping and some moteling. Will be interesting to figure out where to pack stuff in this setup.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Driftless rider,

There is a madstad bracet posted for your bike on the site NOW $50

Buy it

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
I bought a madstad from someone on here awhile back and love it. So much better than the stock "adventure" screen. At $50, you can't go wrong...

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yup, the Wee's a great platform. From your sig line pics, you've had that Bonnie everywhere, man! You'll really appreciate the Strom.
+1 on the Madstad...buy that 1 item and you'll have zero regret for the added adjustment capability. As for the motor, they like to be flogged and life happens fast at 6-7k RPM
I'm just back from a 2k mile tour to New England from Virginia on my '09 and the Wee proved a very capable performer from slab to shortcut mountain passes.
If you have luggage, great. If not, a roll-down duffel on the pillion seat will carry plenty and you'll never know its there.
If I was a betting man, I'd lay odds that the Bonnie's going to be like McCauley Culkin: Home Alone!

Reactions: DriftlessRider

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

As much as I love my bonneville, it's the vstrom that gets the miles.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks good, I like that tank color. Yeah, time will tell. I'm expecting the strom to be my long ride bike, and the Bonnie for running around the back roads taking the long way for a piece of pie :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you're looking for some good gravel roads south of Prairie du Chien, go checkout Dougway Rd and Good-Nuf Hollow Rd near Glen Haven Wisconsin. Dougway rd has a nice rock outcroppings along the road and Good-Nuf Hollow has some stream crossings that you can splash through. They're part of the TransWisconsin Adventure Trail (T.W.A.T) Route.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts