StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Absolutely LOVE this bike. I am so glad I did not do what I was GOING to do, and that is, buy the R1200GSA. After test riding the GSA, and now owning the 'Strom, I would have been pissed spending all that extra money for a marginally better motorcycle, but without the huge manufacturer support, and the huge aftermarket. Don't get me wrong, BMW pretty much made the Adventure segment what it is today, but the Japanese Four have a bigger network, and aftermarket. Plus, I can get the 'Strom serviced ANYWHERE. Parts are EVERYWHERE.

I was born to be on this bike. After years of trying different bikes; Enduro's, Crusiers, Naked, Sport Tourers. The V-Strom is by far the most fun I have had on a motorcycle, since getting my license way back in 1991.

I am thanfull that I bought the 1000. The 650 would have been more bike then I could possibly know what to do with, however the extra power, and the sort-of-a 'slipper clutch' just won me over to the 1000. The 650 is an awesome bike, but for me, IMHO, the 1000 XT was meant to be. Did I say I LOVE this bike!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Wow! Dewayne - You seem to love the DL1000a as much as I do. The V2 is my favorite bike, to date.

I have said this before, I can't understand why these bike are not flying off the showroom floors. It is such a great "bank for your buck".

Like you, I really appreciate the 650 as it is one awesome bike. But, the 1000 is just not a big 650. it is different bike with a very different riding experience. I cannot see me changing bikes anytime soon.

Enjoy that bike and ride safe!

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I would not own anything but the 1000. I've had 2. A yellow 04 and Black 07. Getting 35 more HP for 35 more pounds and the extra refinement is a no brainer.

·
Registered
673 Posts
My Strom is IMO a true ADV bike.
My definition of ADV is not the definition that the Strom gets compared to accurately though. To me, an adventure is waiting for me every time I throw a leg over it. From smooth blacktop to simple fire roads, the Strom takes me there. My ADV doesn't have to be full of peril and seemingly unsurmountable obstacles, but time away from the day to day grind, where I can find myself. Sometimes it is a small section of road where the pace quickens and I take control, others are wide open spaces or red rock canyons that make you feel diminutive and in awe.
I will keep my Strom, and any extra cash I have (because I didn't spend it on a status symbol) will be put to use taking me on my adventures!
See you out there, on an adventure.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My definition of ADV is not the definition that the Strom gets compared to accurately though. To me, an adventure is waiting for me every time I throw a leg over it. From smooth blacktop to simple fire roads, the Strom takes me there. My ADV doesn't have to be full of peril and seemingly unsurmountable obstacles, but time away from the day to day grind, where I can find myself. Sometimes it is a small section of road where the pace quickens and I take control, others are wide open spaces or red rock canyons that make you feel diminutive and in awe.
I will keep my Strom, and any extra cash I have (because I didn't spend it on a status symbol) will be put to use taking me on my adventures!
+1. What he said

·
Administrator
16,811 Posts
I would not own anything but the 1000. I've had 2. A yellow 04 and Black 07. Getting 35 more HP for 35 more pounds and the extra refinement is a no brainer.
Sounds like that works great for you, but I too said that in the past, and now I own a 650 and tickled to death with it. :grin2:

You wouldn't like your old 1000 so much anymore if you rode a new 1000, yes the overall difference is that BIG. ;)

·
Administrator
16,811 Posts

Not sure that is accurate since so many are very happy with their more expensive ADV machines, many of them do in fact ride those bikes as they were designed and are capable of. :wink2:

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Sounds like that works great for you, but I too said that in the past, and now I own a 650 and tickled to death with it. :grin2:

You wouldn't like your old 1000 so much anymore if you rode a new 1000, yes the overall difference is that BIG. ;)
I actually plan to get a new (my 3rd) 2018+ DL1000. LOL....

·
Registered
673 Posts
Not sure that is accurate since so many are very happy with their more expensive ADV machines, many of them do in fact ride those bikes as they were designed and are capable of. :wink2:
I agree with you. I know that many are sold because they want an incredible bike and have an expectation for a motorcycle that those bikes meet.
I also know many that some buy them because they can tell other people what they own to make themselves feel better about themselves. I don't mean that they are the majority but you know them when you meet them.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts

I said that in the past too - first 2 V Stroms 1000, then 1 day I took 650 for a ride, got Wee (have owned 5) and now I'm on my Wee2 #3. Glad that you love your new ride but I never looked back.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Congrats, Dwayne

Real nice bike!
I have a 2014 and if I replace it, it will be another V2.
That is my dilemma right now. I love my '14 1000 with 35,000 miles. I have a itch to try something new, but can only have one bike in my garage. I have digested a ton of information regarding possible replacements. I have had lots of discussions here and on advrider. BMW, Triumph, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Ducati. I have either looked into them till I am blue in the face, or ridden them. The new girlfriend with different color hair and personality looks good, as something new and different intrigues me. But, I am coming to terms with the idea that I am destined to remain a Vstrom guy ( not that that is a bad thing!). I cannot believe some of the threads on other bikes concerning "issues". It is mindboggling!

For me, reliability is key. At this point in my life, if my bike crapped out on me in mid-season, I would go postal. Yes, the Vstrom has had recalls, but never stranded me. And, IMHO, Suzuki has stepped up to the plate with most issues, and addressed them to my satisfaction. In addition, you can find Suzuki dealers all over the place. Not so true with Triumph, Ducati, BMW etc. The Vstrom riding position is perfect for me. I do not like to be sitting low on a bike. The Vstrom is the SUV of motorcycling in a good way. I did need to lower the bike 1" with lowering links, and that works great for me.

Yes the bike does not have throttle by wire and cruise control, but I guess I will have to live with that. For me, the Vstrom 1000 is so damn good that the other bikes I have sat on or rode, don't do it for me. If I decide to replace my '14 this coming season, good chance it will be an '18 1000. Yellow works for me, just have to figure out how to keep the yellow seat clean! I can envision installing McCruise cruise control. It is expensive, but worth it IMHO.

Why did I have to pick the Vstrom as my first bike. I am spoiled now, and don't think I can stray. This is the hell we stromtroopers must bear!!!:grin2:

·
Registered
746 Posts
I said that in the past too - first 2 V Stroms 1000, then 1 day I took 650 for a ride, got Wee (have owned 5) and now I'm on my Wee2 #3. Glad that you love your new ride but I never looked back.
But have you ever tried a new gen Vee?
I always preferred the 650 as well until I tried a V2 :smile2:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think the 650 is a great bike, but it is not in the same class as the 1000. The better suspension, brakes..... technology. It is not fair to compare them back to back, as one is made to a budget friendly price point, the other less so...

2018 V-Strom 1000 XT
Past Rides:
2008 BMW K1200S, 2005(x2) Triumph Sprint ST 1050, 2005 BMW R1150R, 2004 Suzuki Intruder 1500, 2003 Yamaha 650 V-Star,1992 Honda 125 Enduro
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
16,811 Posts
I think the 650 is a great bike, but it is not in the same class as the 1000. The better suspension, brakes..... technology. It is not fair to compare them back to back, as one is made to a budget friendly price point, the other less so...

2018 V-Strom 1000 XT
Past Rides:
2008 BMW K1200S, 2005(x2) Triumph Sprint ST 1050, 2005 BMW R1150R, 2004 Suzuki Intruder 1500, 2003 Yamaha 650 V-Star,1992 Honda 125 Enduro
Sure it is, I could've gotten the 1000 but opted for the 650. Yes the 1000 has the better brakes and suspension, but the latest 650 is starting to gain some ground in tech. It is still lighter, and that engine is pretty much motorcycling perfection IMHO. I rarely ride 2 up, and I try to avoid the super slab like the black plague, but it does more than fine in that regards anyway. Hard to go wrong with either Strom, it comes down to personal preference is all. I am still jonesing after a Super Tenere, but I would be sad to let my XT go. :frown2:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Sure it is, I could've gotten the 1000 but opted for the 650. Yes the 1000 has the better brakes and suspension, but the latest 650 is starting to gain some ground in tech. It is still lighter, and that engine is pretty much motorcycling perfection IMHO. I rarely ride 2 up, and I try to avoid the super slab like the black plague, but it does more than fine in that regards anyway. Hard to go wrong with either Strom, it comes down to personal preference is all. I am still jonesing after a Super Tenere, but I would be sad to let my XT go. :frown2:

I never gave the Super Tenere the attention I should have one shopping. It must not have checked off one of the boxes on my spreadsheet when doing my search. The 2017 BMW R1299GSA came disgustingly close to being my next ride, until I read the quality issues with current model BMW’s; they still haven’t sorted that out. Coupled wit the lack of a strong dealer network. Sure, the BMW warranty is acceptable, but there’s an almost 30% chance I would need it, compared to less then 12% Chance with the Suzuki.

The reason that is important to me, is for the times that I am a couple thousand kilometers from home. If the Suzuki has a problem, I can find a Suzuki dealership in most small towns, or within a reasonable distance, and the chances that I will need repairs due to quality issues is less. With BMW, and other European manufacturers, initial product quality is a large factor to consider, Ducati would be a huge problem, IMHO, though the data shows Ducati is more reliable then BMW.

I agree; the 650 is a solid bike. To compare it to the 1000 though is not fair to either model. Two completely different machines.

2018 V-Strom 1000 XT
Past Rides:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Owned well over 30 motorcycles in over 50 years of riding.Main means of transportation since 1973. Like way too many is reason I still have way too many at age 71. 650 was smallest new bike I ever owned. Got it in 012 a new 011. Liked it so much got another half the miles one owner a year ago. Look at it as these two should last me rest of my riding years. Have 61,000 on the 011 and the 09 only has 26,000.
Have rode the new ones at demo and friends ride trades every year since.My 30 mile heavy rain ride this AM was still far better than a cage on my old 650. Klim gear and tall rubber boots made a happy dry rider. When they went to two into one like the 650 the 1000 with its other changes was so much better for me than the old 1000. The 650 at most legal speed is smoother than the old 1000 and will run around in high gear when the 1000 has went down a few. Happy with what you got and get the most out of it is main thing. Now I need to sell two RoadStars,a Harley,and a few other bigger bikes.Light is a friend of old age to me.Happy is the main thing in what ever you do in life.0:) Merry Christmas to all.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts