StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
6 months ago my OEM battery after almost 7 years gave up the ghost. I decided to go with the Shorai Lithium-iron battery, 2nd gen. The advantages are no need to trickle charge , light ( around 2 lbs ) and small . The battery takes some work to get it installed , dense foam is included to shim the battery in or room is available for maybe a fuse block if you fabricate a mount.

The 1st gen of the battery had very poor terminals, the 2nd gen are much improved. There are no caps of any sort of course, and the plastic case seems sturdy

The performance for myself was poor. I live in an area that can get very cold at times. Temps into the teens ambient and riding ...well just say heated gear is nice. The battery works fine like any other when it is warm. However when cold the battery cannot even turn the bike over. if cold, the process requires leaving the headlight on for 5 minutes or so and cranking it over then. The battery must have a drain on it to warm up. if you do so it starts up quickly, although sometimes you still have to crank , crank and then it catches. Each time you crank I can tell it has more cranking power.
This is not acceptable to myself. I want to crank and go, not wait to warm up the battery and then wait a bit to warm the bike up. The 2nd issue is about 50% of the time the draw is enough to reset the clock. That is a pain to reset.

I just do not think they make great batteries in bikes unless you wan to deal with all the quirks or live someplace it always warm
Given the cost it is not a good tradeoff IMO.

·
Registered
517 Posts
6 months ago my OEM battery after almost 7 years gave up the ghost. I decided to go with the Shorai Lithium-iron battery, 2nd gen. The advantages are no need to trickle charge , light ( around 2 lbs ) and small . The battery takes some work to get it installed , dense foam is included to shim the battery in or room is available for maybe a fuse block if you fabricate a mount.

The 1st gen of the battery had very poor terminals, the 2nd gen are much improved. There are no caps of any sort of course, and the plastic case seems sturdy

The performance for myself was poor. I live in an area that can get very cold at times. Temps into the teens ambient and riding ...well just say heated gear is nice. The battery works fine like any other when it is warm. However when cold the battery cannot even turn the bike over. if cold, the process requires leaving the headlight on for 5 minutes or so and cranking it over then. The battery must have a drain on it to warm up. if you do so it starts up quickly, although sometimes you still have to crank , crank and then it catches. Each time you crank I can tell it has more cranking power.
This is not acceptable to myself. I want to crank and go, not wait to warm up the battery and then wait a bit to warm the bike up. The 2nd issue is about 50% of the time the draw is enough to reset the clock. That is a pain to reset.

I just do not think they make great batteries in bikes unless you wan to deal with all the quirks or live someplace it always warm
Given the cost it is not a good tradeoff IMO.
I have a Shorai in my bike as well. I think it is 1st gen as the terminals are pretty wimpy. I can confirm the annoying cold weather behavior of these batteries. Sometimes when cranking while cold the voltage goes so low that my alarm beeps, it probably resets the clock as well but that I don't care about, I never use the clock anyway.

Would I buy again? Not sure. It is a lot lighter and does hold a charge better.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Interesting there is another guy who says he has 2 both dead now

maybe its temperature for him too

Hurray for you early adopters

·
Registered
371 Posts
Lithium batteries being affected by cold weather is well documented by hobbyist that use them for remote controlled aircraft, cars and boats. This is nothing new, but I would have figured that the makers of the batteries would have figured a way to make them less affected by this situation.

Sure leaving the lights on and cranking the bike over warms up the battery, but it kind of defeats the purpose of the battery with a high discharge and capacity. I guess this is one of the reasons why they never caught on with the hybrids initially, but they are starting to show up in them today. I would not be surprised that here is some kind of heater in the battery pack that is used during the winter months while the engine is running.

I know lithium batteries do not take a discharge below a certain voltage level per cell (3.7) too well either, and will be severely crippled, or meet a horrible fire fate (this happens because as the volts go down, the amps crank up, battery over heats). Regardless they will be damaged if you leave your keys in the bike with the lights on, or something plugged in if it reaches this voltage state before something shuts off the power drain.

For now I'll stick with AGM batteries, they work just fine in all weather and is a nice compromise between a wet cell and lithium. Like anything new, it takes time to work out the bugs.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Thanks for the review -

I am also in very C O L D weather on the east side of the state...

KUDO's for keeping your battery alive for 7 years.. I normally replace just after 4.. but my 07 keeps running fine so far so maybe I'm good for awhile longer.. Not looking at new age battery now until they overcome their cold weather issues

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
My Parts Unlimited rep tried to convince me to stock their brand of lithium/iron batts but I declined when he told me they don't work well in cold weather. Most of my battery sales are for atv's used for hunting, ice-fishing and plowing snow. Not exactly the market they are intended for. I too will wait for improved versions.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a Shorai in my KTM dual sport bike and it does the same thing when it's cold. I have a kick starter on that bike, so it's not that big of a deal. On a 250 lb bike, losing a few pounds is nice, on the Strom, it's probably not going to make a difference, so I'll stick with the old school lead acid battery.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Wow, I'm really glad I read this thread. I have a Shorai in my DRZ400 but have not really used it in the cold yet. I was amazed at how fast it cranked the engine over.

I was initially thinking to put one in the Vee but after reading this I think I'll stick to old school for that bike as it's much more likely to see cold temps once in a while on trips and I'm not as concerned about weight.

Thanks for posting up the real world reviews guys. What would you say is the approximate critical temperature range that it starts to really fail?

50's, 40s, 30s, ??? how far down in temp does it stay effective?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'd probably say below 40 for an extended time. I've only had the issue when my bike has sat out in the desert over night while camping.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Thanx for the review.
I was thinking of getting one for my CBF1000.
Your results are echoed on the CBF forum.
Work great when the weather is warm....not so good when cold.
I think will stick with a good old lead acid battery as I ride as often as I can as long as it is above 5C or so.
Cheers:thumbup:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Lithium batteries being affected by cold weather is well documented by hobbyist that use them for remote controlled aircraft, cars and boats. This is nothing new, but I would have figured that the makers of the batteries would have figured a way to make them less affected by this situation.

Sure leaving the lights on and cranking the bike over warms up the battery, but it kind of defeats the purpose of the battery with a high discharge and capacity. I guess this is one of the reasons why they never caught on with the hybrids initially, but they are starting to show up in them today. I would not be surprised that here is some kind of heater in the battery pack that is used during the winter months while the engine is running.

I know lithium batteries do not take a discharge below a certain voltage level per cell (3.7) too well either, and will be severely crippled, or meet a horrible fire fate (this happens because as the volts go down, the amps crank up, battery over heats). Regardless they will be damaged if you leave your keys in the bike with the lights on, or something plugged in if it reaches this voltage state before something shuts off the power drain.

For now I'll stick with AGM batteries, they work just fine in all weather and is a nice compromise between a wet cell and lithium. Like anything new, it takes time to work out the bugs.
Any lead acid car/motorcycle battery is damaged by being discharged too far, that problem is not specific to the lithium batteries. Other than the cold weather properties however I think the Shorai batteries are pretty good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts