Strom Trooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I confess my favorite motorcycle has got to be the 2007 Triumph Tiger. It has the comfort and versatility of a V-Strom but the handling and smoothness of a 1250 Bandit. Just add to it the belt drive of my old BMW CS 650 and at least the transmission of my Vee. I love the handling, the sitting position, and I have zero complaints about the engine. The belt drive would eliminate my ability to use my motorcycle on logging roads, but I can live with that.

However Suzuki has proven to me that they can build a better motorcycle than the Tiger and cheaper. They can build killer engines (check out the Bandit 1250), motorcycles that are outside the box (V-Stroms), and great price points (how did they add ABS for $500 to Bandits and V-Stroms?). This may be unfair since the Bandit is lower to the ground than my Vee and the Tiger, but they made weight irrelevant since in the Bandit they made a motorcycle that is somewhat heavy and still handles great.

Add to that the five Suzuki dealerships around my house, and hopefully someday I will turn my Vee into more of a logging road motorcycle.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I confess my favorite motorcycle has got to be the 2007 Triumph Tiger. It has the comfort and versatility of a V-Strom but the handling and smoothness of a 1250 Bandit. Just add to it the belt drive of my old BMW CS 650 and at least the transmission of my Vee. I love the handling, the sitting position, and I have zero complaints about the engine. The belt drive would eliminate my ability to use my motorcycle on logging roads, but I can live with that.

However Suzuki has proven to me that they can build a better motorcycle than the Tiger and cheaper. They can build killer engines (check out the Bandit 1250), motorcycles that are outside the box (V-Stroms), and great price points (how did they add ABS for $500 to Bandits and V-Stroms?). This may be unfair since the Bandit is lower to the ground than my Vee and the Tiger, but they made weight irrelevant since in the Bandit they made a motorcycle that is somewhat heavy and still handles great.

Add to that the five Suzuki dealerships around my house, and hopefully someday I will turn my Vee into more of a logging road motorcycle.
Got to agree!! took a "Very Short" testride on a '07 1250 Bandit yesterday. Tons of torque right of idle. Once you start moving it feels very light and flickable. Would have love to get it on a windy mountain road!! I think I have found my next bike.
Willie

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
As I told my friend, I would rather ride a Bandit for a ride less then an hour, but my Wee for longer than that.

I think the Bandit proves all people wrong who say V-twins are better than fours. That is clearly the best of both worlds. Now how do you convince people of that. And how do you convince Suzuki to put that engine or a smaller version of it on a more upright motorcycle.

Actually the Tiger does not measure up to the Bandit in handling and I like the Bandit engine better. But the riding posistion on the Tiger was better. Trivial but get me that belt drive. I am not sure why I am not OK with the idea of simply ruining two chains relatively quickly like I did on my last motorcycle before my BMW. But right now my head is spinning from all that I have read about taking care of chains.

If somebody told me, "Spray this stuff on a warm chain every 400 miles, and you will get 2/3 of the chain life you would get from maximum care, it would be sold. I am looking cleaning with kerosene (I don;t see why I can't use gasoline like I did 25 years ago) which I can't get except during work hours, or spray on chain cleaners which no motorcyle here shop carries, or ....

·
Registered
646 Posts
Ordered the 1250 Bandit yesterday. Take delivery Wednesday.
As for chain cleaning, I use solvent from my parts cleanin tank. the solvent can be purchased at most "Full Service" gas stations or parts stores. Lubing is a wide open subject. I use the DuPont Teflon Multi-purpose spray.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I rode with 4 stroms and a bandit yesturday and i was shocked at how much much better the bandit tracked in a straight line at interstate speeds. The wind seemed to affect it less and man what a good looking machine. Give me a year or two and i will have one also. J.R. (But i won't sell the strom)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I still have not heard what is supposed to replace the V-1000. But I hope Suzuki considers an "urban assault vehicle" that can be used for any pavement, which is what the Tiger is. Also with a four cylinder, they may be able to lower the tail pipe so back luggage can be symetrical.

Or better yet simply reaarange the Bandit so that my hips do not start hurting.

·
Registered
984 Posts
El Bandito

Loved my 2003 1200 Bandit. What a torque monster! 103 hp at the rear wheel and 75 lb/ft of torque. Loved to cruise anywhere between 80 and 100mph but sure guzzled the fuel at those velocities. Could easily embarass squidly sport bikers in the twisties but had a nasty habit of accumulating speeding awards. So it got traded in on an '07 Wee Strom and I'm having a blast. I havent ridden the new Bandit but I know it makes less hp and has a smaller fuel tank. Whats up with that? If the '03 had a six gallon tank I'd still have it. With my riding style the Bandit got 37 mpg, same style on the 'Strom gets me 57 mpg and it handles better. If I could afford it I'd have both bikes but I can't so the 'Strom is now my all purpose urban assault vehicle/sport tourer/commuter/back road adventure ride. Having beaucoup fun.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
According to what I have read the handling on the 2007 Bandit is much improved over the old one.

I am sure all the motorcycle manufacturers watch what happens to other makes. Suzuki, if you read this, see how successful the 07 Tiger is compared to the older one. If it is a hit, I know you can build something better.

·
Registered
93 Posts
According to what I have read the handling on the 2007 Bandit is much improved over the old one.

I am sure all the motorcycle manufacturers watch what happens to other makes. Suzuki, if you read this, see how successful the 07 Tiger is compared to the older one. If it is a hit, I know you can build something better.
Have you seen the '08 B-King? Dumb name, but with a Hayabusa engine!
I'm withholding judgement till I see a rear shot of those exhausts!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just add to it the belt drive of my old BMW CS 650 and ...
... and you no longer have a dual sport, do you?

Pardon me if this seems a bit vitriolic, but if you want a pure street bike, go buy one.

The reality of the 'strom is that it's a dual-purpose machine, and dual-purpose machines can go in slop and muck that a belt-drive bike can't. You wanna take a belt-drive bike down a logging road, with gravel and slime and bug guts and mud and rain and other junk getting in a belt, you do that. Me, I'll stick with a chain drive, thank you very much.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Suzuki needs to add a larger stator to the Wee so we can run more accessories. Also, I am not a fan of the parking light feature. If this is needed it should be at a switch position on the clockwise side of "on" instead of on the counter-clockwise side of "lock" where you can easily walk off with the rear light on and run down the battery (don't ask me how I how this).

Doc

·
Clever Title
515 Posts
+1! Hell, +50! Had to push-start this bike in Tucson on a 107 degree day. To hell with parking lights!

Suzuki needs to add a larger stator to the Wee so we can run more accessories. Also, I am not a fan of the parking light feature. If this is needed it should be at a switch position on the clockwise side of "on" instead of on the counter-clockwise side of "lock" where you can easily walk off with the rear light on and run down the battery (don't ask me how I how this).

Doc

·
Registered
89 Posts
Closing in on 1,500 miles, I'm still fairly new to the bike -- 2007 GL650. Put me with others who want a bigger charging system. I'm a "light nut" from way back and there's always the possibility I might want a heated suit and heated grips.

It would be great to have a bit more storage under the seat, but I'm not agonizing over it.

Darn, it's really hard to find fault with this bike!

I have managed to walk it off the kickstand a time or three, without realizing it until the bike started going over. I think my solution will be to double the "foot" area on the kickstand by adding metal to the forward edge. There may be room for improvement to the kickstand.

I'm trying to "fault" the bike by looking at the farkles I want to add. But everyone is different. If I shop for a custom seat, it doesn't mean the stock seat is bad; it's actually a pretty good one.

There is already so much aftermarket for crashbars, skid plates, luggage, etc. that I don't think Suzuki will bother offering hard luggage systems from the factory. That's not a fault.

I like instrumentation. Since we have a neat panel with bar graph fuel and temperature gauges, I wouldn't mind voltage and oil temperature readouts.

Will Suzuki really see this?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts