Strom Trooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had the idea of riding to Deadhorse, AK for about 15 years. I’m finally doing it. Loaded up my 2014 650 and took off from home in SC on May 21. (Photo 1). God bless my wife. Camped in Ozark, IL first night at a nice, free spot called Dutchman Lake. I set up fly camp cause wx looked good and got soaked in the early AM by a tremendous thunder storm. (Photo 2). Valuable lesson learned and aside from being damp, all was fine. Camped 2nd night in Missouri Valley City, IA. The town has a nice little park with free camping and basic facilities. The grounds are immaculate, nice grass and trees. Downside? The railroad track that is an short stone’s throw away. The trains came through about every 45 min to an hour and for some reason like to blow their monster horns right as the pass the park. Another valuable lesson learned. (Photo 3). Next night I was camping in Badlands National Park, which is fabulous. (Photo 4). Next day I had lunch in Sturgis at The Loud American. My first visit there. Not sure I want to return for the bike rally, but maybe. Then on to Deadwood where I checked into a hotel for a few nights so I could take a shower and have time to check the local sights. They had 20” of snow at Mt Rushmore on Thursday when I was in Badlands. By Saturday it was clear and spectacular. So, Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse Memorial and Mount Moriah Cemetary to see Bill and Jane, and Friendship Tower in Deadwood. For the return route from Crazy Horse to Deadwood I took an alternate route. The road less traveled. About 30 mi of dirt/gravel through some beautiful country. (Photo 5). I am at the limit for attachments so no more photos until I figure that out. I may need to start a new thread. Today I road Spearfish Canyon Bypass Road which is 15 miles of motorcycle magic if you are ever in the area. Then I popped over to Devil’s Tower, WY which is a pretty impressive sight. Right now I am sitting in the Eagle Bar & Steakhouse on Old Main St in Deadwood working on a Knucklehead Copper Ale. Local brew and tasty too. If dinner is as good, I’ll be pleased. Tomorrow I head up to Theodore Roosevelt Nat’l Park in ND. Camping is mostly on a first come, first served basis. After TR it is over to the Upper Missouri Breaks Nat’l Park, then down to Yellowstone for 4 days, then Glacier, Banff, Dawson’s Creek and ride the Alaska Hwy end to end, then Fairbanks, Coldfoot and then destination Deadhorse. Hope to take a dip in the Beaufort Sea for the hell of it. Return trip by way of Vancouver and California should be great. It is exactly 1500 miles from Denver, CO to Charlotte, NC. Thinking about an Iron Butt Bun Burner 1500 to go with my Saddlesore 1000. Home for 4th of July. Yahoo!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I was going to ride up to Yellowknife NWT this summer but two of the guys are ill and don't think it wise to go. So it will be an abbreviated trip for me. Yours sounds like a great adventure. Take bear spray when you cross the border into Canada. And have a great time with more photos. Bobby

·
Registered
44 Posts
Looks like a good ride. You could do a Iron Butt from Prudhoe bay to Key West FL they give you 30 days to do it. Have fun.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts