StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally got someone to look at my poor DL650. Immediately they pronounced it totalled- not surprising, and actually I'm very happy it was considered a total. That keeps me from dealing with the hassle of a repair.

My dealership has a second blue DL650 sitting aside for me, I'll pick it up this week sometime. Thanks for all the sympathy, and hopefully I'll be able to put this to our advantage by providing take-off parts and teardown pics!

I

·
0 Posts
Bad luck tedder. Terrible.
But you are OK, that's is the most important thing..
I understood the importance of full gear once again.

And that's good news it is totalled so you have still your new DL 650 and an important experience.

Keep well, keep smiling...

·
Registered
13 Posts
tedder said:
Well, I finally got someone to look at my poor DL650. Immediately they pronounced it totalled- not surprising, and actually I'm very happy it was considered a total. That keeps me from dealing with the hassle of a repair.

My dealership has a second blue DL650 sitting aside for me, I'll pick it up this week sometime. Thanks for all the sympathy, and hopefully I'll be able to put this to our advantage by providing take-off parts and teardown pics!

Tedder,

Glad to hear you are O.K. especially after seeing the pics of your bike! You must be livin' right, you get one of the first DL650's in the states, have an accident that totals the bike but you walk away, AND your dealer actually has another bike for you.

I AM NOT playing down the seriousness of your accident by any means, I am just jealous that you live in an area where DL are available. I have been waiting since October for my dealer to get one in, and still have no idea when it will arrive.

Glad to know your are doing fine.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
???

Tedder,

What happened? Glad you're okay! You gotta be careful, Candy Grand Blue is the fastest color for the SV650 so it's gotta be the same for the DL650! ;)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your support, all. Yeah, I was lucky, and I also never leave the house without all of my gear- Arai helmet, textiles, gloves, heavy boots.

Basically what happened is a vehicle changed lanes into me on the freeway, when I was going nearly the speed limit (55 in a 60). I went down hard on my left side. I'm okay, my gear and the bike are trashed. But that's fine- I walked away from it, and her insurance will pay for the replacement bike, gear, medical, etc.

So I will end up with a salvaged DL650 and a brand-new DL650. I was disappointed, but it's all going to work out in the end. The DL650 is my long-distance touring mount, I'll be taking it to Hyder, Alaska at the end of May.

I'm certainly okay- I'd be riding right now if I had all the gear. I'm limping on my left leg a little (sprained knee), so stairs are difficult.. but nothing too serious.

Thanks again for the support.

-ted

·
Registered
351 Posts
Ted

Ted

Good to hear your OK !!!!. Now you have a good storey to tell .You the Man. Damn cagers.I was riding my DL1000 down the highway one day. ( I try to stay away from the large pickup trucks some of them think they own the road). I was just in front of the truck when he decides to change lanes.I grab a handful of throttle and the bike thrusted forward. I got away from the truck taking out my back tire. It was too funny though because the acceleration made my arms straighten and forced me to the back of the seat. Ted does the 650 have good grunt to get on the torque to get out of those situations.

Scooter

·
Registered
19 Posts
Glad to hear you are OK.

The insurance company is letting you keep the totaled bike ang get you a new one? My SV got ran over in the parking lot. Insurnace wanted to total it. They were not going to give me enough to replace it. They would not let me keep it either if totaled. Ended up getting it fixed and got more money then if it was totaled. Where are you located?

Hope you're back on a bike soon

Larry

M

·
0 Posts
Legally you have a choice to keep the salvage or not. If they say you haven't a choice, they're lying to you. You just have to subtract the salvage value from whatever they offer on the bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts