StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 DL1000, stock with 15,000 miles and I wasn't running a bunch of fancy pants farkles when this happened.... The bike runs like brand new.

I noticed this weekend when I started the bike the clock display would shift from the time and show "--:--" for about 2 seconds. Then shift back to the current time. The bike always started right up with a zippy starter motor. The battery "feels" strong.

I know this is not normal behavior. The bike certainly does not do this at every startup. Is this an early indicator of a weak battery, bad connection, impending robot uprising, etc?

Thanks.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
I've never heard of that one. If the clock doesn't get a constant feed, it will reset to 1AM. I would imagine something in the clock module itself would have had to go wacky to do what you report.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, GW. I going to post a short vid just for documentation purposes for the site. That said, the clock will probably be camera shy and not display the
"--:--".

I've never heard of that one. If the clock doesn't get a constant feed, it will reset to 1AM. I would imagine something in the clock module itself would have had to go wacky to do what you report.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
my '07 does that on occation. it's --:-- for maybe one or two seconds, then the time comes up. it don't bother me, cuz the bike is running....

P.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hooked up a voltmeter. Short vid

At the risk of trying to fight the death clock, which we all know is impossible, I decided to create a short vid for false hope. I even used a cheap voltmeter to help document things...

A few notes/observations/questions follow the vid:

Suzuki DL1000 Clock Display at Cold Star w/ Voltmeter - YouTube

- this is a cold start. the bike was ridden all day yesterday, so the battery should be charged. Battery is OEM and 2 yrs old.

- the bike starts just like it always does; fast and normal.

- the initial key on voltage is 10.9VDC; which seems low to me. Comments?

- you can see the clock goes to "--:--" just for a sec on the first start. It did not do this on the 2nd start. Wonder why?

- what is also puzzling to me is why the little status light when from YELLOW to RED upon gently revving the motor and getting a reading of 13VDC.

Question:
Replace the battery? The regulator? Buy a Harley? Stop thinking about it and just ride?

·
38,104 Posts
Have the battery load tested. Many places that sell batteries do it for free.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
10.9 seems low. I haven't checked my strom's battery, but both my car and my beemer read over 11.4.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
10.9 seems low. I haven't checked my strom's battery, but both my car and my beemer read over 11.4.
Yep. Seems low to me as well.

I will probably use this as an excuse to buy a load tester and do what GW suggested.

More to come....

·
Registered
248 Posts
My 08 does the same thing and has done since I got it. It runs well and I thought it was normal until you mentioned it. Now I am worried and with the added mention of the death clock I am getting nervous. I'll stick with the theory "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" for now.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad I could add to the paranoia which is the internet!

My 08 does the same thing and has done since I got it. It runs well and I thought it was normal until you mentioned it. Now I am worried and with the added mention of the death clock I am getting nervous. I'll stick with the theory "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" for now.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
my '07 does it occasionally as well...

·
Registered
860 Posts
I wasn't able to reproduce it on my bike. Battery drops to ~11.4v during start. I saw 8volts pop up for a moment on your volt meter. I'd connect an actual DMM to the battery and see what it drops to, it wont rely on the bikes power and will give steady information.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Agreed. I probably should have used my Fluke DMM for the vid. I may do that, but may not because...

@greywolf: I just went ahead and bought a battery load tester, they are not that much and I don't need much of an excuse to by a new tool or anything with a meter on it.

I tested my almost new car battery first to get a baseline measurement. Then I tested the DL. The reading on both batteries were about the same. So... I am calling the battery good. (BTW, those load testers heat up quick!)

Based on what I have read here, this may just be one of those Strom things. Maybe I worry too much. If somebody has another test they want me to run lemme know.

Thanks all for the help.

·
38,104 Posts
I'm not too surprised. As I said, the usual effect of very low voltage to the clock is it resets to 1AM. 10.9V at cranking is low though.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Absolutely agree with that. The voltage measurement is taken with one of those "plug into a cigarette lighter" voltmeters. The power for that cigarette lighter is switched with the key. I'll hook a DMM straight up to the battery and also to the cigarette lighter and compare readings. I could just be getting a voltage drop somewhere to the cigarette lighter.

To me it just seems like the starter would act a bit more sluggish it the voltage was really under 11VDC.

Thanks again.

10.9V at cranking is low though.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Doesn't answer the "--:--" issue (I'm the OP), but I did connect a voltmeter straight to the battery vs the key switched output in the video.

With the voltmeter connected straight to the battery, the reading are more "normal". 12.5VDC with or without the key on. A slight drop in voltage at startup that quickly moves to well above 13VDC.

My switched cigarette lighter connection (where the voltage from the vid came from) is plugged into the headlight slot of the fuse box. The headlights offer a pretty heavy load/voltage drop potential. No biggie for the GPS that I run off the socket, but a poor choice for a voltmeter connection.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts