StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:NOTE:.This was on my DL1000 with a sidecar..

So this is what happens to a chain guard when it gets sucked into the chain at 70 MPH !!!!.I'm not sure why this happened,but after looking at it I think it might have been rubbing on the CT and finally gave way.When it happened it locked up the rear wheel and at 70 mph it only took at split second to turn me towards the guard rail.I pulled in the clutch and stopped about 1 foot from the rail.I thought that the engine seized OR I lost a chain,but when I gathered up my nerves and got down to look at it I found it UNDER the chain on the rear sprocket.It took me about 1/2 hour to take off the rear wheel and cut the guard out of the chain and off I went.Anyone have this happen before??.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
My wife's Vee ate her chain guard at about 1000 miles. The good news was it didn't stop her rear wheel. She now has a metal guard.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Happened to mine also. The front attachment screw backed out, fwiw.

Screw it, easier to clean now.

:D

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
The rear attachment bolt on my Wee backed out. Lucky for me I caught it just after it fell out - I wondered what that weird sound was and stopped. Good thing I had some zip ties handy to get back to HQ without a mishap!

ATTENTION Strommer's - put some loctite on those chainguard bolts!

Glad you didn't have more of an 'adventure'.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Alan, Did this happen this afternoon shortly after you rode past my house on 7th W, around 3pm? Blue DL with sidecar?

Cale

BTW didn't happen to me but to my riding buddy a couple years back.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Vee thread, but the rear bolt on my Wee was hanging out a few weeks back, completely off the threads. Only bolt that has come loose on it, so well worth a check. It had been tightened up a few thousand km before when I ran the spanners over everything at an oil change. Put a lock washer on it this time.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
CT is CAR TIRE....

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Happened Sunday on my way out to Pacific Raceways in Kent for the MC roadraces.Yes I have a Car Tire on my V,it's a 205-50/17.I had been checking it off and on and did not see any signs of rubbing but it looks like it might have been.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Old thread, I know. But this just happened to me not more than an hour ago. Wife and I were returning 2 up from Magic Mountain and turned off the freeway to head home in Oceanside. Heard a loud "clank!" sound and thought I heard my chain skip a tooth or something.

Turns out that it was the rear most screw backing out and getting shot out after it hit a the chain and the sprocket. Damn lucky if you ask me.

Got home and my chain guard looked exactly like the first post.

Guess I don't need it anymore.

FYI, this happened right after I replaced the chain about 4 days ago. Chain guard was removed for ease of access and then replaced very tightly. Loctite would be good indeed. Or, changing the fastener to a nut/bolt arrangement.

·
Registered
808 Posts
The chainguard on my wee blew a rear bolt somewhere in the Yukon. It kept rubbing on the tire. A ziptie fixed it until the Dalton, where I broke a ziptie every 300 miles or so.

Last ziptie I put on was in Coldfoot on my way south, and that ziptie is still on the bike a few months later!

One of these days I need to get a new bolt for it... the ziptie end sticks wayyy out to the left side of the bike. I got too lazy to cut the end off.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
CT = Chain tensioner?
Nope -- Car Tire.

FWIW, the rear bolt on my chain guard has disappeared twice this summer. Thankfully I noticed while commuting in town at low speeds. Very strange.

It's now wearing a slightly longer bolt with a nylock nut on the other side, instead of depending on the aluminum threads in the swingarm.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yep, me too - rear bolt flew out at 80mph but luckily the chainguard didn't go into the chain too much - just rubbed the top. It's now loctited and gets a weekly check. Been fine for 12 months now (Wee not V).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts