StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the boy for his first real ride. Brought him home from soccer practice so all his teammates could see. It was only a few miles but it had few heavy accelerations. He's 10 so he can hold on well. He got off the bike at home and yelled with his helmet still on "THAT WAS SO COOL". Life is good. Mom wasn't happy.

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
Great, now he will be dreaming of doing 250 mph on his sportbike when he is 16. ;)

Seriously though, i bet he loved it, and i can imagine your sleeping on the couch tonight after your 2 hour lecture. lol

·
Ex- moderator
1,131 Posts
My dad took me for a ride on his Vincent when I was about the same age....showed me how stable it was at 100mph by taking his hands off the bars and punching one end ...... My mom yelled at him for nearly 20 minutes after I made the mistake of telling her when we got home...but I never forgot the experience. Good for you for taking your son for a ride!

·
Registered
96 Posts
My cousin took me for a ride when I was 10 on his raked Harley chopper. Idiot was doing 50 mph down the center stripe of a two lane road with cars on both sides. I have never been so scared and felt so helpless in my life. It's amazing that I ever ended up riding. To this day, I don't like to carry a passenger.

I'm glad you made his a good experience!

·
Registered
296 Posts
That's awesome, he will remember that feeling for life. I can't wait to do that with my son one day.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Kids love speed.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So do adults :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Awesome! So far my son doesn't want to go on the highway, but we've taken some breakfast trips, and his first ride was a mile to football practice.

·
Registered
133 Posts
One of the best feelings is when one of the kiddos asks for a ride, that's fer sure.

·
Administrator
17,518 Posts
I will never leave the neighborhood with my son, but he still loves that just the same.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
The die is cast. Older brother took me for a ride on his Cushman when I was 8 or so. Never any doubt about 2 wheel ownership after that. Nice that you shared a bonding moment. :thumbup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
My son is 6 and I can't wait to take him on his first ride. He is always asking me when he can go, but I have not given in yet. I told him as soon as he can touch the foot pegs. From what it sounds, he is in for a memorable thrill!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I, too, can't wait to take my son for his first trip. He's only 8 & a half months, though, so I have a while before that happens.

On the other hand my daughter is turning 15 this summer. She lives with the-mother-unit in Washington state. She'll be here in a couple weeks. I'm contemplating it with her. Not sure, though. We'll have to see how she is about the idea.

I'm curious, though. Not to hijack this thread or anything but what's "the age" to start? I rode with my dad in front of him until he couldn't see over my head. Then I was behind him until I put my feet down flat-footed at a stoplight from the back seat! :yikes: He wasn't too happy about that! :yesnod: I'm leaning more towards 10 years old or so. Although, I'm thinking the "feet touching the pegs" rule sounds good. The only hole in that theory is my son's "maturity level". If he's not "ready" for it then we'll just wait a little longer. Ya know?!

Anyway...thoughts anyone?!

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
do it!

My dad didn't do squat with me, nothing, zero, zip. "3 hots and a cot, what else could you ask for," he would say when I would ask to go fishing, hunting or anything that father and son should do.
Spent lots of time with your kids, have lots of fun with them, teach them lots of great things and love them.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Took my 11 y.o. goddaughter for a long ride. She liked it so much we stayed out about 5 hours and she wanted to know if I could take her back home (when it was time to leave) on the Motorcycle. A trip of about 1100 miles.

When she told her mom how much she liked the motorcycle, and could they get one; her mother then demanded a ride and that she goes at least as fast as I took her daughter. She loved it.

Her father then read me the riot act for the next week for endangering his daughter and wife. I am currently in deep doo doo with my goddaughter's father. Goddaughter said dad is "being a big poop" and she wants to go for another ride.

Sometimes you can't win for losing!

·
Registered
313 Posts
I was probably 6 or 7 the first time I rode with my dad on the back of his 77 GS 400. I remember it suprisingly well, just a short trip accross town to Grandma's. I'm sure it depends on the kid, and the competence of the operator, but feet on the pegs works for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My son is only almost-2 right now, so it'll be quite a while before he's on my strom with me (though he loves the bike, "bike" is his favorite word right now). But I expect he'll be big enough for me to take out on the dirt-bike by next year or the year after. On the strom, he needs to be big enough to hold on from behind, and there's so many more risks riding around in traffic. But on the dirt-bike, I've seen a bunch of parents I ride with take a short piece of rope, tie a loop in each end, and drape it over the bike so it hooks between the seat and gas-tank forming stirrups for the kids feet - they then hold onto the crossbar of the handlebars sitting in front of the parent. I don't have to worry about anything hitting me, I can ride very slow around the same short loops that the older kids ride their 50's around near camp where there's no traffic to hold up and virtually no risk of me falling. And all I have to do is squeeze my elbows in if I need to hold my son for some reason. It's quite likely that he'll be riding his own bike on dirt before he gets to ride on the road with me (I anticipate he'll have his own dirt bike not long after the training wheels come off his first bicycle)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts