StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'ello,

I am hoping someone here will know whats going on my bike. See, it wont start, igh. Well, it will... but usually I pull the stand, hit the the kill switch, wait for the fun noises and cluster dance, pull the clutch, hit start and away I go. But, this time it wont start as usual. The head lights turn off when I press the starter, but nothing... I hear the FI do it's business, but nothing...

All connections are good. The only way it starts now is if I hold the starter and THEN pull the clutch in. I always pulled the clutch first, THEN the start button. It worked both ways before but now, it wants the the starter held before I pull in the clutch.

This isn't a real issue for me because it still starts but, where an issue does lie, it's with the fact that the starter has to be held before the clutch and not the other way around like I have always done.

I hope this doesn't sound too petty but, it's driving me nuts that it all of a sudden it's doing it.

thanks!

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
It shouldn't be doing that and I can't imagine why it would unless a switch was bad.
You must be not pressing or pulling hard enough when you do it the other way.

·
Registered
15,721 Posts
Check the clutch lever switch.
Mine is a bit weird after replacing the mount. So it's a good place to look first.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help,

I have checked everything. Hmmm, it's like a software glitch. I am squeezing the clutch the same way both times. It, I guess from here on out, want's to have the clutch squeezed after the start button is being held - not before.

If it was the clutch lever switch, could it be acting this way? I'd think that if it was the switch, it wouldn't work at all and not just if it was squeezed last in the start up procedure.

Anyhow, I shall look again.

Thank you!

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
It could...
I think the clutch switch is later in the circuit than the starter switch; sort of like an afterthought...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't know on the Strom but on my other bike the Clutch Starter Switch has a spring with a small ball bearing on the sensor. It indicates when I am in neutral and will not let the starter roll unless I have the clutch in...

This can get gummed up or wear out and do some odd things (I had to bypass mine for a quick fix)...

Again not sure on the Strom's design but they seem to have the same principle on other bikes I have seen..

SittingDuck has a great point of where it is inline, my thoughts are there is an issue with the clutch starter switch on the electronic side of things due to the sequence of getting her started?

2 cents worth, wish I had more info for ya, good luck and post the fix when ya have time, interesting..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts