StromTrooper banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
I dropped my bike today (very light drop) and tried to restart it but it didn't. I came back home and did some research online and found possible solutions (clutch safety, stand safety switch etc.). I realized that clutch safety switch was loose, put it back in, tried to restart it, it was about to start but didn't. I could see the indicator lights on but it just didn't start. After trying million times, it seemed like the indicator lights became very dim. My bud tried to jump start it and after that, there were no lights, nothing. No indicator lights, it was completely dead. What do you think the problem is?

· FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,702 Posts
Check the main fuse. If the bike wasn't properly jump started, it could be burned out. A jump should be from a battery not in a running vehicle, pos to pos and neg to neg on the two batteries. If you get it cranking again, try opening the throttle if it doesn't start right away. It could be flooded. The fact that it did crank indicates the safety interlocks are in good status.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I am just wondering if a new battery would work. I am new to this so please excuse my lack of knowledge. We tried to jump start from a running vehicle. Would that have caused a serious problem since the bike seems to have no power?

38,702 Posts
While unlikely, a car charging system can put out more energy than the bike can handle. Did you check the 30A main fuse?

38,702 Posts
The main fuse is not in the opaque fuse case. It is under the clear plastic cover in front of the battery on the left. It's in the extreme lower left corner of this picture. Some of it is out of the frame to the left.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will go and check the main fuse tomorrow. I will replace it with the spare if it is blown. I have two questions though. Should I change the battery or try to jump start again while the vehicle is not running? Second, how do I open throttle? I am a new rider and know absolutely nothing. Thanks so much.

· Registered
54 Posts
Check the main fuse. If the bike wasn't properly jump started, it could be burned out. A jump should be from a battery not in a running vehicle, pos to pos and neg to neg on the two batteries. If you get it cranking again, try opening the throttle if it doesn't start right away. It could be flooded. The fact that it did crank indicates the safety interlocks are in good status.
OK, so I'm new to FI, does opening the throttle help clean a flooded engine with FI or does it just introduce more fuel?

· Registered
333 Posts
It opens the butterfly flaps in the throttle bodies that are controlled from a cable via your right grip which allows more air into the engine while it's cranking to eventually reduce the amount of excess gas in the cylinders and allow the bike to start.
In other words, twist the throttle all the way open while you're hitting the starter button.
It may take an extended period of cranking to get it started so be sure and give the starter and battery some rest periods between tries.

38,702 Posts
I would slowly twist the grip until the engine fires rather than go straight to opening it fully. It's rare to be flooded so badly that full opening is necessary. Unless the battery is shorted, a proper jump start should work even if the battery is dead.

A fuel injection system is designed to start with the throttle closed. The theory is all the parameters are controlled by the sensors. It's normally not possible to flood the engine as long as the throttle is not touched when starting.

However, many of our bikes have the tank vented through a charcoal canister that empties into the intakes to keep gas fumes from escaping into the atmosphere. A hot day, sunlight on the tank or even having the tank sit on top of a hot engine can cause an excess of vapor to enter the intakes. If a bike is dropped, fuel can migrate through the vent system and pour raw gas into the intakes. In the latter case, twisting the throttle fully open and cranking until the excess is purged may be necessary if a lot of gas goes through. Having the bike upright for hours afterward would help clear the condition though.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Greywolf,
I don't know how to thank you. I checked the main fuse, it was blown as you predicted. I replaced it with the spare one. The indicator lights came back on but the bike didn't start. We jump started again (this time with a non-running vehicle) and Voila! I rode it for 15 minutes, restarted again, no problem. Thanks for all your help.

38,702 Posts
You're welcome. It takes some running time to build up a battery. 15 minutes won't do a proper job. A charger supplying no more than 1 to 1.5A is a good thing to have. It's likely, though not certain, the first jump crossed polarities to burn out a fuse.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.