StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happened a couple months ago and I want to warn others that yes there are slugs out there who will even steal a Strom. The bike was parked in front of my house next to my new 2018 DL1000. The difference I suppose is that the new bike had a disk lock. No room in garage for two bikes. The bike had been parked 8 years in front with no trouble. Anyways it looks like I wont be getting it back.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
A thief will steal anything. I investigated a burglary once where the burglar stole a stuffed and mounted fish the guy had hanging on the wall. After I arrested him, even he couldn't explain why he took it.

Sorry to hear about your bike. Hopefully, the 8th Circle is waiting to welcome the thief with open arms.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I had a bike stolen a few years ago, not a great feeling.

Reactions: Solarguy

·
Registered
83 Posts
A thief will steal anything. I investigated a burglary once where the burglar stole a stuffed and mounted fish the guy had hanging on the wall. After I arrested him, even he couldn't explain why he took it.
My sister had a 1967 VW Beetle. Nothing special, not mint condition, no add-ons, etc. Thief breaks into the car, doesn't find anything worth breaking into the car for and steals . . .
The ash tray.

Luckily he had some basic thief skills and didn't break a window to get in. So no damage, just a missing ash tray.

VERY sorry to hear about your loss. That sort of thing makes me murderously angry. If you're not making things better, at least don't make them worse. Thieves don't deserve the right to breathe air.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I hate thievery with a burning passion.

I like locks. My current setup on the V is always use the handlebar lock if it is outside, a big red disk brake lock with an alarm and a hardened chain with a hefty lock if I'm going to be away from the bike for more than 5 minutes. Oh yeah, and it came with a cheapo motion alarm under the seat (with a remote to activate/de-activate it). It makes a decent amount of noise if you get on the bike without disarming it.

You can buy that exact alarm with the remote on Ebay. Some of the ebay listings sell it for 50 bucks, but others have it for $15, so it pays to shop a little.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
OP -- That stinks. Theif must have figured: "This guy doesn't need two; I'll liberate one."

a big red disk brake lock with an alarm and a hardened chain with a hefty lock
What disc brake lock do you use? Hardened chain? Hefty lock?

·
Registered
853 Posts
That sucks indeed.

For anyone interested in properly locking your bike, get a subscription to the YouTube channel Lockpickinglawyer. There is a load of crap locks out there that look hefty but can be opened in seconds with minimal skills and tools. If it takes the lockpickinglawyer a minute to pick the lock, that's as good a recommendation as you can get.

And even then. If your bike is not locked to a solid object but just to itself (ignition lock, disk lock, ...) thieves typically just put the bike on some dollies and wheel it into a van, so that they can remove the locks later elsewhere. Always lock the bike to a solid object.

If I'm out riding with my GF and we can't find solid objects we lock the bikes to each other. That combo is a lot harder to move into a van than two individual bikes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had my driver side window smashed so they could steal a used up 25 dollar subway gift card.... people be dumb didn’t even take the 300 in tools I used daily that were just sitting in the back

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Sorry to hear, Frank..........I hate "stealing" with a passion. I was going to suggest when you get to the Eastern Rally, we will pass around a hat Friday Night to take up a $$$ collection for you.............but I'm afraid once it got back to you, all the $$$ would be stolen out of it....... :unsure:
(we are a Rough Bunch, ya know..........jk)

·
Registered
593 Posts
OP -- That stinks. Theif must have figured: "This guy doesn't need two; I'll liberate one."

What disc brake lock do you use? Hardened chain? Hefty lock?

^^^ Under 20 bucks. Nothing fancy, but it's big and red and noisy if you fiddle with it.

^^^ It's the Harbor Freight chain and lock. Same deal, not a high end piece of equipment, but not trivial to beat either. Under 20 bucks:

You don't have to be secure like Fort Knox, you just have to be a little harder than the next motorcycle or attractive goodie. Most thieves are opportunists. If they see something easy and available, they'll do it.

If their 5 second evaluation says "Not Easy" they just cruise on to the next target.

·
Registered
233 Posts
It's a sad reality that where ever you live in the world we live amoungst theives and there are plenty of opportunistic ones out there ready to pinch what ever they can.
The rest of us have to insure, secure and live with the thought that they want it and will wont give it a second thought to pinch it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After the fact I added more lighting and another motion activated light. I also use two locks now, but a grinder would take care of those. I keep it covered and near the door and I plan to get a doorbell camera as well even though most of the guys wear hats or hoods. As we know sometimes the best we can do is make it harder than the next bike to steal.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Reactions: Solarguy

·
Registered
853 Posts
Yeah, they've got kind of a cult following them. The comments to the videos are sometimes hilarious.

Master Lock is somewhat of a running joke. So is "the tool Bosnian Bill and I made". "Click on two, three is binding." "Let's do that again so you know it's not a fluke."

His April 1st video (#1266) was so full of double entendres that I'm suspecting him of having a professional text writer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Like cattle rustlers, they should be hung.
My dad pointed out that, just like in "the old west", when someone steals your transport you're not only out the vehicle, but in some cases the thief has stolen your only way to make a living, and perhaps even your means of providing for your family.

So let's "give him a fair trial, then hang him".

Reactions: notacop
1 - 20 of 20 Posts