StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way to work, when out of the blue my Vee loses all power. I coast to the side of the road and check all fuses. They're ok. I try to start her again; when I turn on the key, the lights come on, I hear the FI kick in, but there is not enough power to crank it.

My first guess is the battery. Will the bike die mid-flight if the battery goes? She has just over 20,000 mi and up 'til now, no sign of a problem.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
My first guess is the battery. Will the bike die mid-flight if the battery goes? She has just over 20,000 mi and up 'til now, no sign of a problem.

Any ideas?
I believe if you were to disconnect the battery while the bike was running, it would quit. Never tried it though.

Your situation does seem strange, but it's possible. Can you remove the battery and get a lift to a store that can test it?

Problem is, if you buy a new battery, you'll likely have to assemble it and charge it for several hours before it can be used.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Check all the connections between the battery and the bike. Something may have come loose. If not, it could be the battery but could also be the charging system. I believe every bike should have a voltmeter attached to monitor the health of that system.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was able to get it started via jumper cables. But it would die again before I made it to the end of the parking lot. Did it three times; the last time I left the cables on for a while (car not running). I was then able to make it further, but it still crapped out in about 1/4 mile.

Wife's taking me to work now.

·
Registered
251 Posts
well?................

You list your machine as an 07 and that would mean it was assembled in all probability in mid to late 2006. The battery had to be manufactured prior to that time for shipment and installation right? It is between 3 and 5 years old and is more than likely shot. It doesn't sound like it will hold a charge and needs to be replaced if this is the case? I don't know if you ride it all winter but if not it needs a small charger on it to keep it up to it's proper level. It has probably sulfated and is shorting out across the bottom of the plates or you have lost a cell and that also will kill a battery. I usually expect 2 to 4 years out of one and then have services for it and send it on it's way as soon as it starts to even act like it isn't keeping a full charge.
Flint

·
Registered
780 Posts
A battery terminal could have come loose(Best Case Situation and the gods are looking down on you) or at a minimum your battery might be toast. In addition to the battery it could be regulator and or the stator. Electronic FI needs a battery. The regulator/stator failed and discharged the battery. No minimum charged battery no FI.
If you had a carb bike it would have gave a few minutes to an hour's notice of running poorly before crapping out. On an older car if you disconnected the battery the alternator would have enough output to run the car except for AC/Heater or accessaries.I haven't tried it in 25-30 years. The battery on my Strom is approaching 4 years. I plan to change it out before a trip in late September.I've had electrical problems on a bike trip....it's no fun.
I'm hoping it's just the battery or a loose connection but prepare for the worst.

Les

·
Registered
195 Posts
It sounds like the battery, but the only way to tell for sure is with a volt meter. The battery should read 12 to 12.5 volts with the bike off. When the bike is running it should read 13 to 14.5 volts. If the number when the bike is running is less than stated above, it could be something bad in the charging system.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
That's for a fully charged battery. Auto parts stores will often do a load test for free. That's the best way to determine battery health. A bike mount is the best voltmeter as it tells what is going on while riding.

·
Registered
364 Posts
If it is the battery, that stinks that it went out so soon. 20k miles on an 07 should be plenty of usage to keep it from crapping out. Heck I've got an 04 with close to 70k miles on it, and I'm still on the stock battery. (knocking on wood).

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Sounds to me like a charging problem... With no charging, the bike will run off the battery until the battery can no longer support the electrical load of running the engine. Jump it and it starts, but dies shortly thereafter. Charge it with the jumper cables a little longer and it runs a little longer leads me to believe it's running off the juice you just put into it.

My money isn't on the battery...

-Joe

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies. As usual, you guys are coming through. :yesnod:

So if Napa tells me the battery is shot, I will replace it. If they tell me it's OK, but just dead, it's most likely the charging system, right?

(I need to get his baby home. I hate leaving it out there, even though it's in an elementary school parking lot.)

·
Registered
29 Posts
As old as that battery is I would just buy another one. I seem to have bad luck with motorcycle batteries so I replace them every three years, I know it sounds extream but I can get them from where I work for about $50 because we have a national account with empire battery.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
So if Napa tells me the battery is shot, I will replace it. If they tell me it's OK, but just dead, it's most likely the charging system, right?
That would be the next place to look. However, completely discharging a battery can screw it up permanently. Particularly if it was weak anyway. There's a possibility that your battery was so-so, but a failure of the charging system finished it off.

So even if Napa finds the battery has failed and you put a fresh battery on your bike, you'd want to start the bike and check the voltage across the terminals to make sure the battery is charging.

Somebody else will have to chime in with what the acceptable minimum voltage to charge a 12v battery is. I think it's about 12.9 volts, although at cruising speed you'd probably rather be closer to 14.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sounds like the alternator went out. But your battery will probably test bad too due to being completely discharged several times now. I would replace both if I were you.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hmmm

I hate electrical problems! I bought a Yamaha from a coworker once. He told me when I picked it up that the battery ran down every so often. He would just charge it up and it would go again.
I bought it fully charged......I was going home in the mountains after graveyard shift when it died. Man, it was dark!
to make a long story short it restarted several times but would only run a short distance. I got to a friends and he gave me a ride home.
The problem turned out to be one of the magnets on the alternater was not installed correctly. It never made contact with the rotor. When the "good" side wore out and stopped making contact, bikey no run!
Installed new magnets and never had another problem.

Until I got bike lust, but thats another story!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Get it started and test your voltage across the Batt. Bring the bick to about 5k RPM and your voltage should run from 13 up. 13.7 is normal for a 12V system for charging. If you are not breaking 13 you have a charging proble for sure.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts