StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I didn't even make it home from the dealer after picking up a brand new DL650 before something put a nice dent in my radiator fins. I couldn't believe that Suzuki didn't put any kind of screen over the radiator. I tried to order the SW-Motech screen from twisted throttle, but they seem to be on back order until October. So I decided to make something up.

I wanted to use gutter mesh, but I couldn't find anything that was over 5 inches tall. The stock radiator guard is about 8 inches tall. I found a roll of 20 guage galvanized .5 inch mess fancing and decided to use this. It cost about $7 but I have enough to make about 30 or so radiator screens. :lol:

I cut it to fit.

I painted it with a few coats of black paint and attached it with zip ties.

Its not the best radiator screen in the world. I wish the meshing would have been smaller, maybe like a .25 inch mesh. It should stop some of the larger things that hit the radiator. Anything has to be better then what came stock, nothing! It was easy to make, and I have plenty left to make another one if this one gets tore up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Imagine,
Nice job! Are you selling any of those?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. No, I'm not selling them. It's easy to do, if you feel like giving it a try, I'll be more then happy to answer any question you may have.

·
StromTrooper.com Founder
11,285 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I have indeed canceled that order. Thats what prompted me to put a little thought into the homemade version. Desperate people do desperate things. :lol:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks for the layout etc. I managed to get some 6mm ( approx .25 inch ) mesh today and made one by counting your 'squares' and then doubling.

Fits fine and I'm hoping it will save my fins any more wear and tear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts