StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend who stands 5' 4" tall has expressed interest in biking; more specifically Adventure/Sport. As you can imagine, I'm not having much luck finding a bike with a seat hieght low enough to keep her balance. Triumph salesman said she could tippy toe with out there being a huge problem. This abruptly ended our relationship! So, is there a model bike we should look at, or are we out of luck?

·
Registered
314 Posts
I think you might have to stick to the cruiser market. I will probably be corrected though. :mrgreen: Honda Shadow 750 has a low seat height. I think it's under 25"

Good luck.

·
Registered
231 Posts
late 90's and early 2000's honda made a sl230 that was sold in oz these are low indestructable and typical honda .. i sold heaps of these as ladies that wanted to ride with hubby in the trails and roads but all toooo tall....

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Well a lady that I know is 5'4" and she rides a BMW 650 GS and a XT225 without a problem.

My gf has a Honda Shadow 750, Ninja 250, and two Super Sherpa 250s. Those Super Sherpas (after you put a high mount fender on them) seem like they can go anywhere.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My finance is exact same height. She has an EN-500 Kawasaki Vulcan and loves it. Feet very easily touch the ground and she loves the bike. Just put bags, wind screen and highway bars on it.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Possibly an XT 250 but then she could ride circles around the strom, but not much fun on the highway.

GS 650 maybe.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My fiance is exact same height. She has an EN-500 Kawasaki Vulcan and loves it. Feet very easily touch the ground and she loves the bike. Just put bags, wind screen and highway bars on it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
There is an excellent web site for assessing how each bike will fit...

Motorcycle Ergonomics

There is an additional upside in that you will also have to measure her inseam.

Select the bike and seed it with height and inseam ans it will show you a graphic of somone sitting on the bike you select. Also if you expand the options you can see feet on the ground too which is probably more important.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I rocked a Yamaha TW200 for my first year of motorcycling that I really enjoyed. It was slow, but very stable and great for learning on. I'm 6' 2" so it was pretty cramped for me, but for someone short it would be perfect.

·
Administrator
13,817 Posts
My girlfriend is 5'4" and very petite, she got her motorcycle license May 6th and on May 7th brought home her (Pre-owned 2009) gladius. She dropped it a couple of times in the first few days but has had no real issues with it. (I had suggested something smaller and lighter but she couldn't resist the Gladius. She has had it lowered.

Since then she has put over 5,000 km or 3,000 miles. She loves riding!!

..Tom

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yeah, both the BMW F650GS (parallel twin) or the G650GS (single cylinder) can be ordered with both a lower seat and a lowered suspension. If she's looking for a bike with similar capabilities to the V-Strom, it might be worth a visit to the beemer dealer.

Bring your wallet...

·
Registered
267 Posts
My girlfriend who stands 5' 4" tall has expressed interest in biking; more specifically Adventure/Sport. As you can imagine, I'm not having much luck finding a bike with a seat hieght low enough to keep her balance. Triumph salesman said she could tippy toe with out there being a huge problem. This abruptly ended our relationship! So, is there a model bike we should look at, or are we out of luck?
At 5' 4 and eyes of blue how long is her inseam ? I am thinking a Wee or Glee could easily fit the bill without a lot of money spent. Dropping the front and removing the rubber bumpers underneath the seat (free) and buying a new set of links for the rear could do it. My inseam is barely 27" and I do quite well and didn't even lower the rear.

I am sure with this setup she could get one foot firmly planted I have always said you don't ride a motorcycle with your feet on the ground and many people have to adapt this way. Another tip don't let her ride in tennis shoes to start, find a good pair of boots for her with as big of sole & heel you can this will help more than you know and she will pickup an additional 1" of help which could make all the difference in the world. Tight pants (blue jeans) are also not a good choice for a short rider they can take away all the advantages a good pair of boots can give.

One other thought however is maybe she needs to start her riding career with a cruiser type of motorcycle and then move up to a dual sport/adventure bike. My wife started riding on a Honda Shadow 750 and now she can ride any motorcycle I can.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
You need to PM cbrxxcess regarding this.
Or get him to chime in here.

The lady in his life is less than 5'4" methinks and she has a lowered DL1000 with a custom seat that helps.
Therefore a DL650, can go down a similar path...

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
TW200 not fast but it will do the job.:thumbup:
There is a thred of a guy from WA that rides one on a 4000mile trip.
Yes 4000 miles:yikes:

·
Registered
245 Posts
One lady in my Triumph group has a Tiger 800 standard. She and her husband are in the middle of a trip from Denver to Alaska. She seems to do fine and I would say she is probably about 5'4". I could be wrong about that, though.

You could always scramble out a GR650. That would take some doing to find the bike and put the work into it. It is a great learners bike though. 650 parallel twin with very user-friendly power delivery.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yeah, both the BMW F650GS (parallel twin) or the G650GS (single cylinder) can be ordered with both a lower seat and a lowered suspension. If she's looking for a bike with similar capabilities to the V-Strom, it might be worth a visit to the beemer dealer.

Bring your wallet...
+1 on trying out the Beemers, if you have the coin. For a new rider of that size looking for a "real" adventure touring bike, a lowered G650GS would be a fabulous ride. Plenty of go and an okay saddle for a lightweight rider, easy power delivery, smooth for a single, and with the lowered suspension, low seat, and low tank, it carries it's weight like a cruiser - seriously, it feels that low.

In terms of top-heaviness, compared to other ADV bikes the little GS feels like it's in a whole other class.

P.S. for a first bike that might be dropped etc. if you can find a used and lowered F650GS single, it's pretty much the same bike without some of the mod cons.

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
Short and learning

How does she feel about scars, not being mean but there is a real chance of a mis hap.

I own a TW200 and it is more capable than you imagine and is a great bike to learn on for many reasons. Seat sucks a*s but ban be fixed. They will do over 65 MPH all day and will go anywhere.

Or the rebel 250 to learn with the idea that some UJM will be in the future after a season.

gppd luck

1 - 20 of 40 Posts