Strom Trooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went on a ride to musterground mountain in the jocassee area. Hwy 11 southwest, right on Hwy 130, enter Bad Creek Area on right, go downhill, make first left. The trail starts past the parking lot. Here's the link to google maps.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=muste...+Mountain&z=14

It is a seasonal road (all roads will continue to be open seasonally beginning September 15 through January 2 and during the month of April). Here's a link to the DNR site
http://www.dnr.sc.gov/managed/wild/j...anagement8.htm

There's a point where it gets beyond gravel and becomes double track with a couple rough spots. I am a 5'8", 170 lbs guy wrestling with a Wee with battle wings, with no previous experience off road. Granted the Wee is not designed for this but the guys who were with me in BMW and KLR were impressed. For all the shortcomings I was the one to blame, not the bike.

I made it all the way to the top where it splits in four single track trails, not sure if they're authorized for OHV.

Attachments

·
Registered
853 Posts
Your links don't work but by the pics of the bridge I'd say you were in Bad Creek? linky

There are more roads open seasonally on the same dates across the lake at Horse Pastures. linky

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Hey, that's right around the corner!

Mr. Banjo, have you been on Horsepasture recently?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're right, the links don't work. Maybe a forum issue cause they work if I copy and paste them. And right again, that is Bad Creek. Gotta do the horse pasture one. Is it more challenging?

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
853 Posts
Hey, that's right around the corner!

Mr. Banjo, have you been on Horsepasture recently?
Hey Norm!

No, I haven't been this fall but....I did hear that 'dirt' or 'sand' was being added to all that huge RR gravel that was dumped in there a few years ago, so it should be a little more pleasant to ride.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Gotta do the horse pasture one. Is it more challenging?
Well...it used to just be a mix of dirt and gravel not too unlike Bad Creek but a few years ago huge RR sized gravel was dumped in there throughout. As mentioned in above post, it's rumored that is now being tamed by smoothing out with smaller particles of earthy goodness.

I was last there in June as I'd heard they opened more of it up during the 'off season' but it turned out to only be a 3 mile out n back to another gate. Here's a couple pics from that day.

There's a big overlook in there called "Jumping Off Rock" that's real nice...here's a few pics of that from a few years ago.

There's also an old boat ramp you can access..

Water level up...

...and water level down.

I don't know the current condition of the road to the boat ramp but it used to look like this.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Back to the topic of Musterground Mtn.....

...here's a few old pics from inside that Bad Creek area.

Jumping Off Rock is along that ridge in the background.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Hey Kev,

Thanks for the great photos, looks tempting.

Norm

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looked so tempting that I did it again today. Skid plate a must! I discovered that my batlewings' weak spot are the sandy pits. Happy for my crash bars!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your links don't work but by the pics of the bridge I'd say you were in Bad Creek? linky

There are more roads open seasonally on the same dates across the lake at Horse Pastures. linky
I went on the horse pasture road a couple times. Still there are some sections of that huge gravel but it is a cool loop with those two water crossings.

Ok Mr. Banjo, what else do you have for me besides the Pinnacle-Green River-Pearson Loop and the Pisgah Forest Roads? I've been peeking at your rides...you've done it all it seems. I only have the Wee but I keep on proving my friends on KLRs and BMWs that I can go where they can.

Attachments

·
Registered
853 Posts
Oh there's great Wee-Strom gravel all over the place. :mrgreen:

I did, however get back over to HP and BC myself this past week, cheated and hauled my old DR650.

Pics start HERE

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Compliments from Mr green. Explored at length the BC area and didn't find the open gate leading to NC. Will check it out.

Planning an overnight trip to the area before the year is over.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NC gorges to musterground

Oh there's great Wee-Strom gravel all over the place. :mrgreen:

I did, however get back over to HP and BC myself this past week, cheated and hauled my old DR650.

Pics start HERE
Just did this ride on saturday before they close the trail. Muddy and absolutely gnarly for the Wee on BWs. Looking forward to repeating it when dry. Still sore from the heavy lifting

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Pics

Here are some pics of 2 different trips to Musterground mountain

Where the main trail splits. Gates on trails on left and right, I believe leading to the water (never found them open)

At the Bridge. Regardless of how I go over those tubes, skid plate always saves the day

Coming in from NC Gorges State Park riding towards the Horse Pasture River (credit goes to Mr. Banjo)

The Horse Pasture River. Coming off that steel bridge was a lot harder than it looks on the picture

We decided to cool off, not knowing how hard the climb to Musterground Rd would be

Ready to go back on the saddle

The climb up tested the limits of the off road conditions I want to do in my trusty steed :jawdrop: I had rained for 3 or 4 straight days, and the biggest handicap the Wee had was me :thumbdown: Granted that battlewings on mud were not the best :confused: Heavy lifting was on the menu on more than one occasion :fineprint: Willing to do it all over on dry terrain, and maybe the way Mr. Banjo did it: form Musterground to NC Gorges. The momentum killing berms climbing to that park from the Horse Pasture River might be reminding my skid plate of the Wee's low clearance :yikes:

Here are some pics of a more scenic and less technical ride in Horse Pasture Rd:

Amazing view of Lake Jocassee

From Jumping Off rock

Here's me ruining the view :mrgreen:

By the boat ramp (access closed every time I went)

As we continued our loop we found a little creek. We decided to skip the bridge :hurray:

We were not the only ones bypassing the bridge

This crossing needs to be done through the creek as this bridge is for pedestrians only

They open these roads again in May. Any fellow strommers joining me?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts