StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just ordered a Olympia Viper Mesh TEch jacket on closeout. Got a great deal on it and am excited to get it soon. One question: When I go to order pants, do I have to buy Olympia brand to get the zipper in the back of the jacket to match up with the pants zipper???

For those who have pants and jackets, how often do you really zip both garments together? Is it that important?

Also, any suggestions on affordable, 3 season mesh pants would be great!:hurray:

·
Registered
297 Posts
If you are looking for a nice three season pant you can look at the Olympia Moto pants. I got mine a few weeks ago an love them.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
I have Rev'it mesh pants with a windproof removable liner that I like a lot.

Zipper sizes vary between brands, and sometimes coat & pants of the same brand doesn't match. If you want to zip, a local shop that repairs coats or luggage can put in matching zippers.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
If you're looking to commit THE fashion faux-pas of the 2012 Summer Season, you go right ahead and mix 'n match those pants and jackets. But you'll never find a style leader riding in anything other than a fully coordinated ensemble.

·
Registered
201 Posts
If you're looking to commit THE fashion faux-pas of the 2012 Summer Season, you go right ahead and mix 'n match those pants and jackets. But you'll never find a style leader riding in anything other than a fully coordinated ensemble.
Now that was funny :thumbup:

I wear 'draggin jeans' and a mesh jacket, guess I'm not a 'style leader'? ;)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Three Jackets, three pair of riding pants, two pair of boots, three helmets. I am the king of mix n' match. I never zip anything together. Go your own way grasshopper and be comfortable.
Ride safe.

·
Registered
315 Posts
.... guess I'm not a 'style leader'? ;)
I'm not a style leader either, but I guess the official answer to a highly-researched topic is..... it depends! :green_lol:

My Cortech GX Air2 zips to my Field Sheer mesh and cheap Bilt kevlar jeans, and all three came with a matching zipper "stub" that could be sewn to another piece.

I'm sure the ATGATT philosophy would say to zip them together all the time, I tend to forget around town and usually do zip them together on trips.

My $0.015

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
zip em together

around town - nope

freeway and long rides - yup

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
The only "gotcha" is that the zipper to zip them together may be a different length, or zip from the opposite end.

I originally bought an Olympia AST jacket and AirGlide pants. When I wanted solid pants, I got First Gear TPG. The zipper zipped in the opposite direction. They also only unzipped to just above the knee. I sold them on eBay and got the Ranger II pants.

·
Registered
109 Posts
All of the pants or jackets that I have purchased came with the mating half of the zipper. This allows you to sew the correct zipper from the jacket onto the pants or vice verse I will admit that I usually do not zip them together, although I know that I should.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I have never zipped my jacket to my pants. Now I may regret that someday but so far I have been though a low side and having a car hit me in the side since I started wearing good motorcycle gear. It has not make a difference to me yet. (knock on wood)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I always zip...I specifically bought a matching jacket once I found out that JR doesn't zip to fieldsheer.

Only had one unscheduled dismount (street) and it was a low speed low side. However, I have a vivid imagination and can envision sliding along expecting to be protected and having the jacket ride up and expose my lower back.

With that said, I don't know what good it would do to have them zipped since there's a lot of flex in the zippered "tab." Cheap insurance/peace of mind I suppose.

·
Registered
536 Posts
One question: When I go to order pants, do I have to buy Olympia brand to get the zipper in the back of the jacket to match up with the pants zipper???
You might just call Revzilla, since they sell a lot of Olympia stuff, and simply ask them what matches up with the brand. I'd bet they would save you a lot of time and guess work and you've got a far better chance of an accurate answer than you'd get here.

For those who have pants and jackets, how often do you really zip both garments together? Is it that important?
I don't zip anything. First thing I do to any jacket is install strong, stretchable belt loop hook and snaps. Easier and faster than zips and it feels more secure. Hasn't been field tested on a slide, but I'm optimistic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts