StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday I became the proud owner of a new 2011 leftover Vstrom. I would like your opinion of what are the MUST HAVE accessories for the bike.
Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Mark
I already took advantage of the Suzuki Hard Bags for the 199.00. I already have the Givi 47 for the back along with the power cords to the battery for cigarette lighter, heated clothing, gps and ordered the madstad adjustable windshield brackets.

The must haves are the proven safety items for the bike. What is the story with the fork supports? Is there any mods that are must do or important wanna do's? What about a lowering kit. Whats your opinion on the skid plate if your keeping it on the pavement. This bike's underbelly is very very exposed to anything and everything.

Thanks
Mark

2011 KLR 650
2011 Dl650 ABS

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
Hard bags, headlight relay, horn are what I would call must haves.
Centerstand, crashbars, sargent seat, heated grips, madstad, voltage monitor can increase comfort, provide damage control and easy maintenance.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
"Must" means safety. Everything else is a preference based on what you want to do with the bike and how its quirks affect you personally. A fork brace is on the must list.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Most people start looking for a solution to the notorious wind-buffeting issue early on. The "MadStad" bracket is the solution for many, with or without an aftermarket windscreen.

A throttle lock was high on my list, but that's not true for everyone.

A lot of 650 owners add the handguards from the 1000. They bolt right on.

If you're going off-pavement, a bash plate is a good idea, as are crash bars (sorry, I mean "engine guards").

The factory manual is very useful if you plan to do anything on the bike yourself.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Fork brace
A seat that is comfortable for you.
A windscreen that fixes the buffetting to your satisfaction.
Handlebar position that fits you.

Engine crash bars
Skid plate if you'll off-road
Luggage to meet your needs

Lights are good, except additional brake lights are always smart.
Brakes work fine, but the feel can be improved. Inquire back if you want to upgrade.

Now, ride, ride, ride and see where your desires lie.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Accessories...

This is what I have on my bike. I've tried to list them in order of (perceived) necessity.

(1) Givi mounts and bags, 36L on sides, 42L up top, with matching key set from Twisted Throttle. Approx $600 new. This add-on is real; I can't travel without storage capacity.

(1A) Suzuki center stand. This add-on is real; I can't imagine having a motorcycle without a center stand. Approx $200? new.

(2) MadStad windshield mount with stock Suzuki windshield. I tried a Givi windshield but went back to a short screen. Typical opinions vary wildly. I am happy with mine. Approx $85 new.

(3) Suzuki hand guards. Got them off CraigsList. Approx $20 used.

(4) Powerlet 12 volt power outlet, European/BMW style, mounted on the flat spot in front of the left hand. Approx $50 new.

(5) Cee Bailey headlight guard. Saves big bucks from a broken headlight lens. Approx $40 new.

(6) Kevin Baker fork brace. Well made, super strong, easy to install. Approx $135 new.

(7) AltRider crash bars. Installed, haven't used them yet. Approx $250 new.

(8) AltRider skid pan. Installed, may have used it, not sure. Approx $250 new.

(9) KN air filter. Installed at the spur of the moment because I couldn't get a stock filter. It works really well, but I think stock will, too. Up to you if you like to clean and re-oil or just toss. Approx $50 new.

It is hard to evaluate the "necessity" of things like crash bars. You spend big bucks and may never use them.

Total add-ons, approx $1,600. Cost of bike new $6,200. Total cost of a pretty cool bike: $7,800.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Must have

Center stand (change tires, clean and lube the chain) , mirror wideners
( rear vision improved, reduces buffeting) , and crash bars ( to keep the smile on your face the first time you drop the bike).

If you go off road some engine protection.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Must have:

1) gas
2) oil
3) little water/antifreeze
4) time to ride

Some here posted that a fork brace was necessary. I didn't find it to be. Some say a new seat. Eh, maybe. Some think a windshield is mandatory, some don't. It's personal preference.

I added a windshield, bags, top case, grip heaters, 12 volt plug, grip puppies, center stand, crash bars, skid plate, hwy pegs, dash shelf, gps & wiring.

I think mine is complete. Ugly, but complete. Almost... :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
I second the centerstand. I couldn't imagine life without it. If you don't want to go with the complete set of bags a tailbag expands the practically of the bike immensely. I went with the v-stream windshield on the stock bracket. It solved my buffeting issues. I ride a lot and a seat upgrade was necessary. I test rode both the corbin and sargent ended up with the corbin simply because one became available on the site. The PO had installed givi crash/tip over/engine guards, they are good enough. I installed hyper-lite supplemental brake lights and swear by them.... Also did both the fork brace and peg lowering kit from richland rick. The fork brace is an immediate help in winds and semi truck blow-by. The peg lowering kit was a creature comfort mod for me.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
117 Posts
"Must" have? The only thing I bought during my first 500 miles of ownership was gas. Took me that long to get a decent feel for the bike and decide what things I "might" like to have. "Must" is a very personal thing, and my "must" may not be the same as yours.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Tires, gas money, and time. :thumbup:

·
Registered
394 Posts
A wife who will give you time to ride.

Critical component.

Sent from my droid.

·
Registered
242 Posts

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I have over a dozen farkles. Everyone of them has served a useful purpose in one way or another. I may have never put my skid plate to full use, but it does give me peace of mind that my oil filter has a measure of protection.
Hand guards, headlight protector, fender extender, risers one up one back, heated grips, outlet for heated vest and battery charging, engine guards, sliders, racks and bags, centerstand, FORK BRACE, throttle lock, windshield spacers, MRA touring windshield, service manual, and whatever else I may have forgotten.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Got my '08 in Oct. '11, already had Givi top case, SW Motech crash bars, center stand and skid plate. Also had LED running lights, Eastern Beaver fuse panel, Cali Sci touring wind screen ( also the stocker), Stebiel horn and DL1000 hand guards. Since then I have added, in order, fork brace, Madstad bracket, GPS mount for my Zumo 660, Happy Trails Teton 7" panniers and racks, and just ordered 4 piston upgrade from SV Racing tonight! Oh, and the most important thing IMHO... Russell Day Long saddle for those 600+ mile days!

·
Registered
27 Posts
fork brace?

Relatively new DL650 owner here, also relatively new to motorcycles, so this may be a dumb question, but would how exactly does a fork brace work towards reducing buffeting from passing trucks? Would a steering damper prove equally valuable here? I did run into some nasty crosswinds riding up to San Luis Obispo a month ago, and anything to improve stability in that situation might be worth the expense.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Fork flex is the main reason why a rider incurs speed wobbles, unstable handling, road sensitivity problems and tire cupping. Superbrace eliminates fork flex and allows the fork assembly to cycle in a straight line. Now I understood fork flex and how the Superbrace would help to eliminate this issue. Ok, so what. I install my Superbrace and the fork stop flexing. What exactly does this mean? By eliminating fork flex, you will immediately notice the following performance suspension benefits:· Reduces low and high-speed wobbles. · Improves stability in tight cornering. · Improves tire life and reduces cupping. · Decreases sensitivity to rough road surfaces and rain grooves.So how does it work? The purpose of a fork brace is to reduce "fork-flex". Fork flex can lead to poor suspension performance, poor steering accuracy, and headshake. A fork brace can significantly reduce these issues.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Wedge the front wheel between your feet and wiggle the handlebars while looking down at the tire. Without a brace, you can watch the front of the fender move back and forth in relation to the tire. A steering stabilizer will prevent large inputs from ruts and potholes from wrenching the bar and keep harmonic oscillations from becoming tank slappers but won't affect the tiny movements involved in wind driven changes.

If buffeting is changing your line, you are gripping the bars too tightly and tensing your body. The buffeting moves your body slightly and causes steering inputs if you are tense. Keep a light touch and relax. In wind gusts, push the grip on the side of the gust a little to lean into the gust. The bike will change angles a bit in gusty conditions but the center of mass will stay in the same lane position. With practice, it becomes as automatic as giving the bike the correct banking angle for its turn speed.

It's people who tense up and fight to keep the bike vertical who get blown out of their lane positions.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Concur with the Wolf

"Must" means safety. Everything else is a preference based on what you want to do with the bike and how its quirks affect you personally. A fork brace is on the must list.
The best farkle (and I have quite a few) is my forkbrace from Happy Trails. It took the Wee from light in the front to solid at hiway speeds and more. I feel like I am driving a bigger bike with the fork brace, really made the bike stable.
Second is my Perfect Strom wind screen from Cee Bailey. I ride with my visor up now and enjoy it!

And I like my Murph centerstand real well. I could go on and on-

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
a good sense of humor

i appreciate all the sarcasm and just add gas. i ordered today the madstad bracket, givi windscreen, power adapter, and gps holder. i am hoping to find someone here who is selling there bike and wishes to depart with their accessories. would appreciate any help since i can't respond to the for sale adds yet till i post another 14 posts. type type type

1 - 20 of 20 Posts