StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello there.

I just purchased a 2017 DL1000 XT, demo bike 22.000 km, owned and serviced at ca. 6.000 km intervals by the Suzuki importeur.

I have the service manual, I also had a 2015 650 XT before, so the common service intervals, defined by suzuki are well known to me.

I was thinking on a little bit more servicing, like:

-complete disassembly, pressure washing (in cabinet) and re-greasing the BRAKE, done by semi-professional mechanic, using MOTUL specific lubricants

-I must not forget to exchange all hydraulic fluids like defined by suzuki service plan

-adding new brake pads, old pads are worn like 1.5mm. the brake discs have minimal wear, barely visible, almost not detectable by touch or feel with my fingers.

bike has parked in a well heated suzuki dealership, so corrosion and rubber/plastic parts getting brittle by cold weather are not a problem.

of course we will replace the spark plugs too, bike has 22.000 km but as a demo bike used by journalists, this 22.000 km counts more than the 24.000 km where the suzuki recommendations are for VALVE GAP, SPARK PLUGS, etc...

any more hints very much appreciated, how to prepare my new bike for the years to come, and for the next season 2020!

(I also very much consider changing the chain + sprockets too, rear sprocket show no wear or "bent" tips, did NOT checked front small sprocket, the chain "seems" good to, it was definitely dirty, NOT lubricated since long time, and I am a little bit paranoid when buying a new, (strong) bike and I tend to replace the chain+sprockets just to have peace of mind)

I am thinking of other small thing like dielectric grease on some electric connectors and so.

so, any good tip/advice is welcome.

thank you!

cheers!

Martin.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Pressure washing can cause damage, I clean with WD40 and 303. 1.5mm pads still seem good. If the spark plugs are iridium, I would not change them. I would replace the radiator fluid and brake fluids.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I would make sure to exercise the ABS and change fluid before and after doing so to make sure there is no old and possibly corrosive brake fluid sitting in the ABS unit. I think that is more important than taking the calipers apart, assuming the pots move freely:

NEVA20 Rally: Catskills NY - Cooperstown - Woodstock
Save The Dates: July 31 to August 2, 2020
WWW.NEVA20.COM
https://www.stromtrooper.com/events/429027-neva20-july-31-august-2-2020-catskills-ny-cooperstown-woodstock.html

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@blaustrom:
"exercising" ABS = a good idea thx!!! I tried the bike ca. 30 km and did slammed the brakes and felt the ABS working.

okay, I will slam the brakes some more and of course we will replace all old fluids.

@Cryoman:

I am wery much tempted to pressure wash the bike "to get the feeling to make it mine" but on my 2015 DL650 XT the black paint come off of the radiator (the radiator fins dont get bent luckily) and some water got in to some electric connectors and bike would not start after a thorough pressure wash and when it started it would not hold the idle, I hat to twist the trottle a little to keep it running around idle.

maybe I wash only from underneath, the swingarm joints etc, and wheels? (before the brake pads replacement and the brake disassembly, cleaning, greasing maintenance job...

I can choose the medium powered-wash which is "really" medium compared to the full strength wash where I can only hold the washing tip with 2 hands.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I wouldn't. Bearings, seals, electrical connectors, etc are just not designed to resist water pressure. I like those Costco blue automotive paper towels and gloves, and wd40 to wipe down all the lower bits. It helps me pay attention for any loose or damaged parts. A good beer, blues, and my Bennett knee pad make it a good time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I would check the front sprocket, I can't imagine it needs replacing BUT the front sprocket area will be in need of a good cleaning. Check your service manual for the procedure on how to do this.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Good point about the clutch pushrod and slave cylinder being effected by chain crud:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thx you all,

@Cryoman: I succesfully resisted my "urge" to pressure wash. maybe I will do the cleaning by hand or I will pay some extra to the mechanic to rub the parts a little with some towels. I still remember good the ugly feeling of NOT being able to start my 2015 DL650 after hard washing.

@tenny80: yes, as I collected the tasks to be done in my head, I did remembered to check the front sprocket, is it worn, (bent tips?) and, as the bike does not has chain oiler fitted, I can imagine the chain grease being collected there (if the grease is the more sticky-type like glue, not "oily" type). I opened the plastic case back then on my 650 and had to scrape the dirty rubbery thing off with screwdriver.

@blaustrom: thx for the tip about clutch pushrod, I will definitely check it with my mechanic pal.

a little disappointment, that the dealer seems to be unable to show any hint of oil change after 10.000 km (ca. 6200 miles) and I have a black hole in the service history between 10.000 km (6200mi) and todays 22.000 km (13600 miles). oil is of course black as hell. dealer was trying to convice me that the 12.000 km oil change period would be just fine, I dont think so.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
thx you all,

a little disappointment, that the dealer seems to be unable to show any hint of oil change after 10.000 km (ca. 6200 miles) and I have a black hole in the service history between 10.000 km (6200mi) and todays 22.000 km (13600 miles). oil is of course black as hell. dealer was trying to convice me that the 12.000 km oil change period would be just fine, I dont think so.
I have done 8k miles between changes during my long trip out west. It still lives and I was not concerned. I run full synthetic.

NEVA20 Rally: Catskills NY - Cooperstown - Woodstock
Save The Dates: July 31 to August 2, 2020
WWW.NEVA20.COM
https://www.stromtrooper.com/events/429027-neva20-july-31-august-2-2020-catskills-ny-cooperstown-woodstock.html

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hello all,

happy new year to us all,

my question is: on this bike, 2017 DL1000 XT L8, is there a possibility to "synchronise" the two engine "halves", if yes, what is the best way to do that?

many thanks,
cheers, Martin.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hi Martin, looks good. For a good cleaning I take off all the plastic bodywork and use a long bristle soft brush and lots of very foamy soap - never pressure wash.

Are you anywhere near Aggtelek?

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hiya,

-all fluids changed, will change clutch fluid too,
-all filters changed, housings cleaned (no aftermarket air filter for 2017 dl1000 XT yet.. suzuki filter pretty expensive..)
-spark plugs changed
-valve clearances set, interestingly there WAS a difference from the spec's at 22.000 km.. :oops: (example, rear cylinder, exhaust was at 0.19...)
-decided to install new sprockets and new chain too.
no pressure wash, cleaning by hand as the above jobs done.

nope, Aggtelek is up at north in Hungary, I'am down at south, ca. 480 km away from there. why?

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
thx for the hint about cleaning front sprocket area and do the clutch seal saver- mod.

before
View attachment 269394

View attachment 269395

after:

View attachment 269396
It's amazing how quickly they can get that dirty! I do mine every other oil change. If it gets really bad it can cause problems.

It sounds like you have been spending a lot of time working on the bike, she will be just like new! Mine has 25,000km so I have some work lined up to do as well. I just have to find the desire to go out to the cold garage and do it but I need to get my butt in gear as the nice weather will be here soon enough!

I am doing a valve check (new coolant), installing k&N air filter, new spark plugs, oil change. I did the rest of the fluids in the fall and cleaned the front sprocket area. I am going to need some new tires soon though, at least a rear anyways. My front could go a while, but it's 100% street tire and I think I want to go back to a 50/50 tire. The new Dunlop Trailmax Mission looks awesome.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Martin, I see that you did not cut back the protruding gasket material below the pushrod. It adds to the buildup of grease crud and makes cleaning more difficult because it traps material in there rather than allowing it to drain down:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
about collecting mud, street debris, etc. etc in the front sprocket area:

my friend, who had a honda varadero 1000 for 12 years/170.000 kilometres, he is obsessed by chain oilers, avoiding chain spray-s.

so he reports, after a SINGLE trip (2-4.000 km), that area at the front sprocket in his varadero gets TOTALLY filled up with mud, debris, etc, especially when he gets a lot of rain.

so I was thinking how does this compares to the minimal collected amount at my previous DL650 and on this DL1000.

difference is, on this DL you see the "agressively sticking" residue of the chain grease/lubricant. You might know MOTUL ROAD+ ( PLUS) which is a white substance, has a metal piece in it, you must shake before use, so it is just like a paint color spray which has a "thinner" in it and you have to shake/mix it well before use.

my friend estimates that his chains get almost the double lifespan as compared to his riding friends who use chain sprays. but he had to clean the area of his varadero with a help of a screwdriver, sometimes it got totally full.

I'm just wondering if there is a causal connection between these.

I'm playing with the idea of DIY'-ing a chain oiler using a primer bulb and a very fine syringe, so I am just pressing that primer bulb from time to time.

(picture from varadero, area cleaned.. info: sealing on his shaft survived 170.000 km..)

·
Registered
584 Posts
hiya,

nope, Aggtelek is up at north in Hungary, I'am down at south, ca. 480 km away from there. why?
We are often in Slovakia and very close to Aggtelek. I was thinking we might meet or even ride sometime. It is less likely with you in the south, but you never know, it could happen.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
584 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts