StromTrooper banner

Muskoka riders - how deep you run?

997 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Keith Falkner 
#1 ·
Greetings - I've been based in Barrie since 1989 and have ridden the hell out of Cottage Country - on the paved roads. My Shadow has well over 100,000km of weekend daytrips and the like. I've been thinking of getting a Vstrom to take advantage of all the unexplored routes I see on detailed 'backroad' maps. Is there a network of well used and safe Muskoka and Kawartha forest roads? I ride alone and don't want to get into trouble. Where do you guys head to? Thanks, I know it will be a few months - Al

#2 ·
I don't go offroad much at all on the Strom. I have followed a few old abandoned rail lines since they are usually hardpacked and somewhat smooth. Most of the time they have "no motorized vehicles" posted but I ignore them when out in the sticks.

I followed one that heads north from Shelbourne for a few miles, I guess you could try that out.

After riding the Strom around on some gravel roads and a few hard packed trails I find myself looking for more street orientated tires.......or maybe I'll buy a BMW F800GS next year and then do a bit more exploring.

#3 ·
Try the MNR

ajpower,

I think you may want to visit an office of the Ministry of Natural Resources.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/csb/offices/mnroffices_district.html

I think the closest one to Barrie is a lovely ride in the spring or summer or fall, but maybe a tad too far to ride in February.

I just asked Google to search on Ontario government maps, and I had lots of fun with the results. I was zooming in on the town of Dwight, and I expected to start seeing bird feeders and chipmunk tracks, but the dang server crapped out.

Watch out for sand on those roads, especially in the spring.

Keith

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.