StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings - I've been based in Barrie since 1989 and have ridden the hell out of Cottage Country - on the paved roads. My Shadow has well over 100,000km of weekend daytrips and the like. I've been thinking of getting a Vstrom to take advantage of all the unexplored routes I see on detailed 'backroad' maps. Is there a network of well used and safe Muskoka and Kawartha forest roads? I ride alone and don't want to get into trouble. Where do you guys head to? Thanks, I know it will be a few months - Al

·
Registered
636 Posts
I don't go offroad much at all on the Strom. I have followed a few old abandoned rail lines since they are usually hardpacked and somewhat smooth. Most of the time they have "no motorized vehicles" posted but I ignore them when out in the sticks.

I followed one that heads north from Shelbourne for a few miles, I guess you could try that out.

After riding the Strom around on some gravel roads and a few hard packed trails I find myself looking for more street orientated tires.......or maybe I'll buy a BMW F800GS next year and then do a bit more exploring.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Try the MNR

ajpower,

I think you may want to visit an office of the Ministry of Natural Resources.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/csb/offices/mnroffices_district.html

I think the closest one to Barrie is a lovely ride in the spring or summer or fall, but maybe a tad too far to ride in February.

I just asked Google to search on Ontario government maps, and I had lots of fun with the results. I was zooming in on the town of Dwight, and I expected to start seeing bird feeders and chipmunk tracks, but the dang server crapped out.

Watch out for sand on those roads, especially in the spring.

Keith

1 - 3 of 3 Posts