StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be controversial to some (which almost always leads to a fun discussion) but what is the best way to listen to music while riding? I've ridden with speakers on my bikes and enjoy the company on long rides. I'm not fond of wearing earbuds because they are uncomfortable and shut out too much of the surroundings. Helmets that come with little speakers sound too tinny. I've got my seatbelt on so fire away.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Earbuds will give you the best sound. Find a pair that fits, or get them custom molded. For me, they don't block out as much outside sound as earplugs.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
If required, humming works for me. The technical side of me thinks I should set up some fancy audio system, but the practical side tells me riding demands too much of my attention to be so distracted.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I tried earbuds and agree that they give the best sound. However, after many hours even the best ones I could find got uncomfortable (I didn't try custom molded ones so can't speak on them). I now use a Cardo Scala G4 + foam ear plugs. The sound is excellent and you get the intercom and phone* functionality.

I have mine in a Shoei RF-1100 and it works perfectly. However, if you go this route you MUST put something between the helmet and the speakers so that they are very close to your ears. If you don't you won't be able to hear the sound well enough. With the speakers close, almost right up against my ears, I can hear the music just fine even with foam ear plugs in.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

*Yes, using the phone on the bike is even more of a hot topic than listening to music. If my wife has an emergency and needs to get hold of me while I'm out on the bike I want to get that call. Other people have made other choices but what I've chosen works for me.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Music? Cell phone?...just what I want to get away from.

Music? whats wrong with the sound of your thoughts and a well tuned V-2 humming blissfully away between your legs. How about a big pair of chrome speakers...ala Harley style hanging from your handlebars. Or are the cell phone and PDA mounts taking up precious space on your handle bars.

Maybe some ape hangers would make enough room for the mounts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
+1 for the Scala. Works extremely well. You can listen to your iPod, use the phone, listen to the radio, or talk to a fellow rider if they have a scala as well. Works up to half a mile or more. (at least the one I have).

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Etymotic Research MC5 noise cancelling earphones work for me though I don't use them very often. I use them with a Sansa Clip MP3. I believe it's a potential distraction and I'm pretty selective where I use it though on most of my rides I encounter very little traffic.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I'm not sure I would want to listen to music through my Scala, because the Scala doesn't cut down on wind noise, so if I'm travelling at speed, then I would have to turn up the music to hear the music better - I like fuller sound. I've never listened to music through my Scala so I'm just guessing - no experience with it. If I'm wearing earplugs for a long ride, then I might as well be wearing earbuds that play music....

That said, I listen music often when I ride. Not when in the city and running errands and stuff, but when I go out on longer rides. I prefer to use very small noise isolating in-ear speakers that also double as earplugs even when music isn't playing. I can hear sirens and vehicles around me, but they really cut down on the wind noise. I also use a Scala and I can hear the person I'm talking to quite well, as I keep the music at a pretty low volume..

The ones I have most recently used are the Etymotic brand. I am currently using a pair of the ER-6i's and ER-6's. They are really small and are easy to put my helmet on and off without getting snagged by the helmet. They have excellent sound quality for what I'm looking for. They are so small, that after a while it doesn't even feel like I'm wearing them and they still allow me to hear the world around me.

·
Registered
201 Posts
This has worked the best for me, after trying all kinds of options...

The S-Plug

kind of expensive yes. Especially with the price of ETY's being so low now.

But, the s-plug will reduce noise levels just as well (if not better) than 32db ear plugs (with music off). The music is great, and they are made to be inserted all the way in your ear. Only the wires stick out. Yes, they are made to be removed by pulling on the wires, they are very thick.

Lot's of choices to do this, but none seem to work for everyone.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Any earbuds I ever had started to hurt by the second day of cross country touring. I finally went with custom from Got Ears?® Brand Challenger Full Custom Molded Isolation Earphone For One Ear - Got Ears?® Brand Challenger Custom Molded Isolation Earphones and have been very happy. I spent less on them than on the total of earbuds that didn't cut it. Customs attenuate wind noise almost as well as foam ear plugs, fit under the helmet without rubbing, allow low volume to be used which is vital to preserve hearing and are comfortable for use days in a row.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have no problem with those who need to be entertained while riding. It's just not for me.

I like to be alone with my constant thoughts. I like enjoying the ride with the fewest distractions. I don't even have the radio (or cd's) playing when driving in cars.

It is interesting how different things appeal to different people. My brother, for example, is just the opposite in regards to entertainment. He is virtually never in a vehicle (cars or his bike) without music playing.

Ron :mrgreen:

·
Registered
110 Posts
I went through several earbuds until I found a set that was "all day comfortable"... They don't block much outside noise, just muffle it a little. Cheap skull candy ear buds are some of the best I've tried. Currently I have a Sena Bluetooth headset in my helmet and stream MP3's from my Zumo GPS to the bluetooth headset (speakers velcroed in helmet) and am happy with that setup.

·
Registered
118 Posts
After some experimentation with ear buds, I have arrived at a combo I like best. Foam ear plugs to reduce the wind noise, and SENA bluetooth in helmet speakers playing music from my smartphone. It's not ear bud acuity, but the elimination of the wind noise is a big plus for me.

·
Registered
259 Posts
In ear speakers are the best way to go, custom fit ones work the best because sealing out the wind noise is critical. I am a Autocom Dealer but if you simply want to enjoy some form of music, Custom ear mold speakers are the way to go. They save your hearing, let you turn your music down to a level that makes the sound quality better and they save your hearing.

cost about $200.00 and they are repairable......Kieth

·
Registered
702 Posts
I work in computers and do a lot of data entry. I have been using ear buds for a long time and even with the nice ones that I use, after a while, any sound just becomes noise. Mostly, I just enjoy the silence as much as the music. Don't get me wrong. I've tried them on my bike and it's ok, but after only a little while, the noise is just noise and I prefer noise cancelling ear plugs for the silence. I can still feel my bike as well as detect the low tones from the engine. I don't have to listen to the wind whipping around my helmet and whistling around the windscreen etc. I am my own biggest fan and enjoy my own company enough to not be bothered by the silence. Well, that and quiet reflection or prayer or whatever you prefer to call it. Meditation, etc. I just enjoy the ride and don't usually want the extra noise of music. But that's just me...:beatnik:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Music? Cell phone?...just what I want to get away from.

Music? whats wrong with the sound of your thoughts and a well tuned V-2 humming blissfully away between your legs. How about a big pair of chrome speakers...ala Harley style hanging from your handlebars. Or are the cell phone and PDA mounts taking up precious space on your handle bars.

Maybe some ape hangers would make enough room for the mounts.
Hey Scott,
I've been working on my Wee and this is how it's set up:
I've already got 18"apes on my Wee that I took off my Harley as well as a custom Chromed set of wheels. I've put on a true dual chrome exhaust and springer front end. I replaced my front end fairing with the Shark nose off my Road Glide and that's allowed me to install a 200 watt stereo along with speakers. This allows me to just sit back and cruise at 25mph like I used to do. I also ride with a brain bucket and t shirt in the summer but switch over to a skull face mask, leather jacket and chaps as the weather has gotten colder. Sometimes I'll switch over to tennis shoes instead of my boots. As far as the cell phone, it's blue tooth and runs through my Zumo 550 and stereo. Pretty sweet picture eh?:jawdrop:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Another happy Autocom user here

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Triman - Do you have the 18 inch long leather tassels on the ends of the apes like mine? I hope so.

How about floor boards, mine were a major pain to get mounted properly.

I may have the only stock Harley on the planet (including pipes and intake system) and my strom is farkled beyond belief. I ride both bikes in Hi Viz and full crash gear. I now realize why I end up riding alone a lot....maybe I could use some professional help.

I have been riding every chance I get as the days are numbered before the dog days of winter are upon us. I will say this to you "str...obs", I have seen 1 adv bike and dozens of Harleys still out playing in the wet/cold.

I did see a black Vee with the rider wearing KTM colored gear as I was leaving my hunting arae last Sunday....anybody here riding on Plum Creek Road.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Triman does have a very nicely appointed example of a Hardly Driveable. Very shiny black one. With all the gizmo's & gadgetry. Custom wheels, loud pipes, great tunes center. I think it's one of those Dyna knuckle pan shovel soft tale springer fat bob boat tail FLHabc screaming beagle electro glide models. He pulled up into my driveway on it when he took my old 55,000 mile Wee for a test ride to see if he liked the little critter. It's been Wee love ever since for him ever since. Now his HD has been expertly converted into a 30,000 dollar coat hanger. I will say that I am not certain on his HD model designation. After all I ride an 1800 Wing & a Wee what the hell do I know.
Music on the Wee again I know nothing I'm:biggrinjester: a ear plug guy.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts