StromTrooper banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
The bubble on my helmet reflects my voice back to me. So, I listen to the best of Dr. Demento as well as I can recall the words.

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
I like to listen to audiobooks commuting on motorcycling....I have an easy 12 mile commute - not a lot of drama. That said, it does take a little bit to rewire the brain to ride a moto and follow a book. Not recommended for those without focus and perception.

Earbuds seal out a LOT of wind noise - if you have decent earbuds you can easily follow a book or some cool tunes.

Ain't for everyone, so don't safety police fingerwag me.....

·
Registered
598 Posts
I find ear buds stick out too far, and they pop out when putting on the helmet. I just have a wired pair of speakers, and find that is good enough for me.
I had this same problem and I solved it by picking up an inexpensive thin 'beanie' to wear under my helmet. It covers my ears and I have no problem losing the ear buds when I put on my helmet now.

Additionally, the beanie prevents the corn-row-type ridges in my hair from my Shoei Neotec's internal ventilation channels.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I use what was recommended as the best earbuds by Ryan F9's YouTube review, the MEE audio M6 PRO Musicians’ In-Ear Monitors. The music quality is great and they block out road noise really well. I bought extra Memory Foam Earphone Tips for them because they are very soft and tend to wear out and need to be replaced. The upside is they work really well. The M6 comes with tips that are more long-lasting, but the memory foam works better and is really secure in the ear.

I use a Sena adapter cable to run them into my Sena 10R, which works OK, but I have had problems with it and with Sena customer service, so if I had it to do over I would buy a different brand of bluetooth setup.
I like this recommendation -- at $40 the MEE M6 PRO seem to be a more affordable option than the Shure se215 I've had for a few years ($90 for wired, $150 for wireless).

·
Registered
598 Posts
I like to listen to audiobooks commuting on motorcycling....I have an easy 12 mile commute - not a lot of drama. That said, it does take a little bit to rewire the brain to ride a moto and follow a book. Not recommended for those without focus and perception.

Earbuds seal out a LOT of wind noise - if you have decent earbuds you can easily follow a book or some cool tunes.

Ain't for everyone, so don't safety police fingerwag me.....
Don't forget podcasts.

I'm a big fan of podcasts, and am subscribed to several motorcycle-themed shows:
Noco Moto
Wheel Nerds
Cafe Racer
Motorcycles & Misfits
Cleveland Moto
Adventure Rider Radio

While I certainly enjoy listening to my my music playlist while riding, I more often am enjoying some great motorcycle-related banter.

·
Administrator
13,207 Posts
I happily use an Autocomm as well.

Expensive but after using it for 10 years now I have very much gotten my money's worth.

..Tom
@OydnaR

And now I am retiring the Autocom!

Long story short I ordered a Cardo Packtalk Bold and received it this past Tuesday. I rode to work Tuesday and Weds (snow today) so got it initially set up Tuesday before heading home.

I have not had a chance to try the communications with others yet so that will wait until I ride with someone with a bluetooth communicator.

I have used the FM Radio and both sound and reception were above my expectations. The radio was completely clear at speeds up to about 140 kph/80 mph (that was as fast as I went) and volume nicely adjusted to the background noise. reception was better than I expected as I live about 70km/40 miles from the radio stations with some hills between and the FM came though flawlessly until I entered my garage.

I also used music from my phone (mp3's) and the sound again was much better than I expected.

Last night on the way home I called a friend and we spoke for a good half hour with my speeds ranging from stopped to 120kph/75 mph and they had no problem hearing me at all or me hearing and understanding them. This is a big achievement for me since I wear hearing aids when off the bike and earplugs when on the bike and understanding what people are saying is tough in noisy environments.

I am still learning about it but am very enthusiastic and really can't wait to see how well communications with others works out.

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,207 Posts
Autocomm

I have an Autocomm system, an older one, hardwire to the helmet rather than bluetooth. I have VOX stitch and PTT button next to my horn on left handlebar for mic, stereo speakers in helmet, also noise sensor in helmet for noise cancelling. I have direct connection to my Zumo GPS, I have a SD card of MP3 I put in the zumo, several play lists, I did a play all when I did my IBA BunBurner Gold, in 24 hours, never had a repeat. I have a bluetooth connection between cell phone and the Autocomm, phone calls at 80 mph are clearer than stopped and without aid of the noise cancelling and volume priorities, another input is my V-1 radar detector, and I have an input for 2 way radio, I've used it with cheap FRS radios and my nice Motorolas

and if you just want the music of the exhaust... just turn it off
For the last 11 or 12 years I have been using a 3rd gen iPod Nano as my music source for my Autocom. I'm not in love with apple stuff but have to say iTunes always did a great job of setting up and managing playlists. The iPod was in a Ram Aquabox and I could go forward or back and start and stop it with gloves on in the pouring rain.

I recently took out all my Autocomm stuff when it became apparent my Cardo would do the job for me. In doing so I remembered my Garmin 590 cable has a USB plug. I plugged in my iPod and the 590 can pull up all the playlists, songs, artists, gendre's etc on the 16 gig iPod. So with the Cardo I have FM radio, Music from the saved songs on the phone, ability to play and control any music/sound source that is on my phone (ie spotify, TuneInradio), my local AM radio station through TuneInradio plus through the GPS any music on the GPS and control the iPod as well. Also completely hands-free phone calls with the other end of the conversation not aware I am riding.

Not quite as flexible as the Autocom but what it does works quite well.

..Tom

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
Been using a Cardo Q-Solo for over a year.

Now that the girlfriend is coming with me often, we need some sort of intercom. Also, she'd like a way to listen to music on longer rides.

I'm exploring the less-expensive options, but none so far seem to offer voice-activated intercom - you're stuck manually switching between Music mode and Intercom mode. That doesn't work for us.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts