StromTrooper banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered a set of 3/4" lowering links from Murph's Kits. Cost me $44 shipped.

The rear of your bike must be off the ground.

Installation is not hard, but it helps if you have the right tools. Both bolts were really tight, and they are not the kind that keep sockets in place easily. I ended up using an electric impact wrench to loosen the bolts.

Had to use a screwdriver and hammer to get the bolts to slide out. I would recommend that you tie-wrap the links in place first, that way the links don't move and allow the bolts to slide through easily.

Comparison of the stock links on the right vs the new links on the left. Yes, longer links make your bike lower. The new links are only 1/4" longer, which makes the suspension shorter by 3/4":

You will notice that the rear wheel drops after the links are removed.

Installation is the reverse of removal, but a couple things you need to do first:

Remove the sleeve and grease the bearings inside if needed:

Put the new link and bolt through the top first. Get the second bolt ready.

Find something that will allow you to raise the rear wheel with one hand easily:

While raising the rear wheel, use your other hand to get the right height that would allow the hole on the bottom of the link line up with the bolt hole, and put the bolt in.

Put the other link on:

Tighten the bolts to the required torque.

Now raise the front forks 3/4" and tighten. I did it by loosening the four bolts on the lower triple tree and alternatively loosening one top bolt, shaking the bike back & forth until the front end dropped to the desired height:

In my case, my anti-vibe risers are in the way, so 3/4" is the most I can go.

Took the bike out for a few rides, and all I can say is that it handles much better, and the bike is easier to stabilize on uneven surfaces now that I can reach the ground better.

I noticed that windy conditions don't blow me around as much, which is most likely because the forks are flexing less. This is proof enough for me that having a fork brace is a must. I won't be getting one yet, I want to put a couple thousand miles on my setup first.

Now, since the bike is lowered, the kickstand is too long. It may not be too long in most cases, but when you put weight on the bike, the kickstand is obviously too long.

I did a search on this site, and found one easy method of increasing the lean angle without shortening the stand.

It involves removing very little material on the kickstand right where it comes in contact with the stop, as indicated by the red arrow:

Raise the kickstand. Notice the worn areas circled? Remove about 1-2mm of material evenly in those areas:

I used both a cutting wheel and grinder to do the task:

Here is the end result. On the left is the original angle of the kickstand, on the right is the new angle. This extra 5/8" of forward angle allows the bike to lean over pretty close to the original setup.

Yes, you can reverse the process by welding in that area and grinding it flush.

Overall I am happy with the end result....except for the center stand....it now takes a lot more muscle to lift the bike up while pushing on the stand's arm.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts