StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm a new rider and have learned more on this site than I could have imagined. Most of the time I search and find my answer. but...

I installed the Murph's Fork Brace as instructed. When I did, I felt the toque specs seemed a little on the light side. Especially since it has about 1/8 to about 3/16 play side to side for adjustment. As I'm getting my confidence up on corners the brace slipped to it's widest in the middle of a turn. It felt like the tire slipped about 1/2 inch on the pavement. (<small pucker> remember I'm a newbie)

Is this normal? Should I crank down on the bolts more than the instructions?

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
It has been awhile since I installed mine, but I just looked at it and I am not seeing how there could be any play in it.

I would check the installation again.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Mine was tight when I put it on. I had to loosen up everything just to get it to go on. Once the forks and wheel were tightened you couldn't get the brace back off if you wanted to. And that was before I actually tightened the bolts on the brace itself.

You sure you have it in the right position? Pictures might be a big help here

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll get some pics. it went on fine and works like a dream. just slipped that 1/8 inch when leaned harder than usual. It looks like it's meant to be adjustable when you put it on but the toque specs seemed light and wondered if it would slip....

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
It isn't adjustable, it shouldn't slip ever. Mine has been in place for 3 years without ever moving whatsoever. Sounds like something isn't right.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
My bad. I have a Rick's fork brace. I apologize as I have no experience with the Murphs fork brace. I kept looking at it thinking that doesn't look like mine...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Rick's brace is not adjustable. What do you mean it slipped to its widest? What torque setting did you use?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I put on the brace there was no gap where I indicated on the pictures. The halves fit together snug. The instructions said 12 ft.lb. if i recall correctly.

As you can see the hex bolt has slid to the far side of the slot leaving the gap. I'm not so concerned with the gap as I am it moving around mid turn.

·
38,103 Posts
Redo the installation. Loosen the pinch bolt at the bottom of the right fork leg, #27, and the two bolts holding the main two halves of the brace. While standing astride the bike, squeeze the front brake lever and push the front down a few times to exercise the front suspension. Then tighten the bolts. Do not tighten them more than the instructions recommend.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will do.

What does loosening the pinch bolt do for me? Just trying to get an understanding of the mechanics behind the instructions.

·
$tromtrooper
845 Posts
It allows the forks to relax on the axle shaft bolt.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
I put medium locktite on all my bolts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ricks fork brace slipped

This might be the issue. There are two lengths of bolts for Ricks fork brace. If you get them reversed you cannot tighten the brace because the long ones bottom out. I forget weather the long ones go on the outside or inside.

·
38,103 Posts
Good info but two situations in one thread are giving me a headache.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts