StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I'v been scratching my head on this one. I changed the oil back in november when the insurance ran out, and then once a a month would start the bike and run it till it got 3 bars, nice and warm. . in middle of march I pulled the fairings, gas tank, and radiator off to do the valve clearance check. after everything was together, no noticeable loss in coolant, I watched it every day for a week. no other leaks or issues. 2 days ago, I checked the oil level and my jaw hit the ground. I rode the bike to warm it up, and dumped the oil. no coolant smell, checked the coolant level, was where Id left it. smelled the crankcase, and no funny smells. after changing the oil only, i ran the bike, and smelled the exhaust, no funny smell. Ive put another 400-km's on, the oils ok. anyone have any thoughts? or is this a coincidence? thanks in advance

·
Administrator
5,380 Posts
It is very bad practice to "warm up" a bike in the garage over winter. All you will do, as you discovered, is create condensation in your engine.
If you cannot take it for a good long motorway ride then fill the fuel tank, put the battery on a trickle charger - and leave the bike alone.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
huh. thanks. didnt realize that. most years I keep the bike insured year round and ride, this year I didnt. lesson learnt. thanks for the replies

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
once they put salt down in the townhouse complex or on the streets i keep the bike inside. next time if i dont ride in the winter i wont start it up till its time to go outside.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
It is very bad practice to "warm up" a bike in the garage over winter. All you will do, as you discovered, is create condensation in your engine.
If you cannot take it for a good long motorway ride then fill the fuel tank, put the battery on a trickle charger - and leave the bike alone.
Agree and mostly because idling the bike you are not actually warming up the bike.

Sage advise to set it and forget it. The 07 GS has been under a cover for the last 6 months waiting for the weather now the stay at home order to be lifted. Every month or so I'll put the battery tender on it for a day to make sure the battery is toped up but nothing else. Periodic idling of ICE's is arguably one of the worst things you can do in trying to keep things in tip top shape.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts