StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
How much is that costing

I'm curious as you can fly your bike from Toronto to Europe and back for a reasonable price

·
Registered
15,623 Posts
Jealous! that would be fabulous!
I have a couple friend that keep a GS in Germany and fly over for a 5 week tour each year.
I didn't retire that well, wah!

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
How much is that costing

I'm curious as you can fly your bike from Toronto to Europe and back for a reasonable price
Air Canada charges $2400-2600 round trip to fly your bike. (up substantially from the $1600 of last year) Add in the additional fees (eg. Dangerous goods certificate) and, for all intents and purposes, you are looking at $3k to fly our bike back and forth. That equates to about a month's rental including the insurance (depending on where and when you rent).

This is my 7th trip back. Kinda wishing I had just bought a bike and left it there from day 1. May still do that.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"How much is that costing (?)"

$1322 with cases for two weeks. 250 km/day.
I shopped a bit, that was one of the better prices.
btw, plan your trip in advance, a number of agencies were slow to respond.

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
"How much is that costing (?)"

$1322 with cases for two weeks. 250 km/day.
I shopped a bit, that was one of the better prices.
btw, plan your trip in advance, a number of agencies were slow to respond.
I should have stipulated that my cost was Canadian dollars, not USD.

I have rented in Germany, Spain, UK, Austria, and Italy and I have found, over the years, that it costs (all in for insurance, etc) about $125/day Cdn which is about $3500 for 4 weeks. If you do the currency conversion that is about what you are paying.
$1322 USD = close to $1700Cdn/2 weeks = 850/wk X 4 = about $3400+CDN for 4 weeks depending on the conversion rate. A bit more if you opt for the unlimited mileage (which I always do). I usually opt for the buy down of the deductible (costs about $20/day). It lowers the deductible, on the insurance, from close to $2,000 to nearer $500. It takes nothing to have $1000+ damage done to a bike (DAMHIKT!!).

You can get it for less depending on what bike you rent, where you rent, how long you rent, what insurance you get, and when you rent. I usually rent a 800 or 1200GS with all the bags when I go. I find that the backup for BMW's is pretty good in Europe, although none of them compare to the car rental outfits.

I have done the math lots of times and unless you are going for at least a month, I find it better to rent and that is without taking into consideration what you have to pay to insure your bike over there, time the bike is tied up at both ends, no backup if bike breaks down, etc. YMMV

For a while, Air Canada had a good deal on flying the bike back and forth. It was about $2k Cdn when all the paperwork was taking into account. It has gone up considerably this year.

I wish I had bought a bike and left it there years ago. File it under the coulda, woulda, shoulda.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts