StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since taking off the alarm the bike has been reporting an FI error around start-up time and at switch off, never during riding. Entering Dealer mode gives the following error codes...:

C41 Fuel Pump Control System (Fuel Pump Relay)
C44 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S)
C49 PAIR Control Solenoid Valve

Is it really possible that there is this much wrong? OR has maybe someone shorted something...

Thanks.

· Registered
968 Posts
Do you know if these error codes ocurred simultaneously or one after the other in time? I'm wondering if by removing the alarm, the ECU began to experience an emergency type of response and started reporting these errors one after the other. From your description, it would be hard to believe that all of those codes are true so suddenly. You can try disconnecting the battery for about 20 seconds to re-boot the ECU and see if the codes reappear again. It's a start. Anyway, I'd really like to know the outcome of this issue. Good luck.

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Very good idea - I'll give that a try tonight.

If that doesn't work then it seems that only the fuel relay is a serious issue and at £30 I can fix that easily - the other two can be dealt with later. It's definitely possible that the alarm removers simply haven't reconnected the HO2 and other sensor as the bike will run with them disconnected.

Nb - Yes the codes did all appear together suddenly.

thanks

· Registered
968 Posts
Sorry my suggestion didn't help. Looks like you are taking the correct steps to diagnose this problem. Please post your findings. Thanks.

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wel... the new relay has had the effect of taking the codes from:

C44 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S)

to:

C32 Injector Signal #1 ( Front)
C33 Injector Signal #2 (Rear)

Starting to think it's only a matter of time before someone says "New ECM..." :dotdotdot:

· Registered
968 Posts
Have you ridden the machine to see if it behaves badly? I have no idea how these codes affect the ECM...if it makes some internal adjustments to the fuel system. I'm at a loss with this problem.

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
It rides fine, it's just a concern that the fuel may suddenly cut out....

Going to do the fuel flow check today and if that's ok maybe have a poke around at the injectors, ensure they're connected up ok.

NB - I unplugged the ECU for a couple of minutes yesterday, so before I start I'll see if that's had an effect. Oh, and since the new fuel relay went in the FI error now only comes up after a ride - not at start up like before.

· Registered
968 Posts
I wish I could make a suggestion about what to check or test, but I am at a loss. At any rate, I'd be willing to wager that the final solution is something very simple. Hmmm...can you reconnect the alarms and put everything back to original to see if the issue goes away?That's the only thing I can think of at this point. Please report back if sand when you get this solved. I am VERY curious as to how this plays out.

· Registered
968 Posts
I went back and re-read your original post and this is what occurred to me. Could the alarm have provided an electrical resistance that is now allowed to free-flow to the ECU unabated and causing this issue? Kind of like a Marshall guitar amp head that requires a connection to a speaker cabinet as resistance. Marshall warns to NEVER power the amp on without being connected to the speaker cabinet because without this connection, power is output without resistance and excessive heat is generated quickly damaging the amp internals. I realize this might be a stretch in comparison to your issue, but I wonder if by removing the alarm and not compensating for the lost resistance, if this is causing your problem? I'm stabbing in the dark.

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I guess that's a possibility, though it went funny the day before the alarm came off.

It could certainly be related to the alarm doing strange things to the bike before it came off as it did have an immobiliser and god knows what that can do....

The first sign anything was wrong was when I went to start it and the headlights didn't come on. Next day the alarm came off and then the FI errors started about 3 days later.

Oh, and a month before that I took off the (throttle stop) restrictor...

Not really helping to narrow it down am I....

NB - I just did a voltage check on my new battery and 24 hours after a charge it is at 12.35, I'd consider that low....this makes me think something might be shorting/leaking somewhere....

Oh.... and I measured the voltage across the wires going into the fuel pump - 5v.

Also... tried to do the fuel flow check - but how do I a"Apply 12v to the pump" as suggested? I put the bike "On" without starting it (stand up, in neutral) and the pump spun up as usual. IT then stopped (as I think it's meant to). Should I ignore the ignition etc and just run some wires from the battery? Doing it with the ignition gave me about 160ml - just noticed something about cycling the key three times - so multiply that by three and I'm at 480ml - which I think is ok...

· Registered
968 Posts
Looks like this one is going to take talented troubleshooter. Hope you'll report back what it took to correct this problem.

· Registered
968 Posts
I'm still following your issue. Please keep this updated as you get new info and especially when the final problem is identified and corrected.

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Ok, just got the bike back.

The dealer has been through all the connector blocks, done the resisitance tests, cleaned the connectors etc etc.

£200 lighter, I turn the key in the ignition and.... "FI":headbang::headbang::headbang:

On the plus side it now runs without the FI error showing at switch-off. On the downside the fuel pump is even worse at starting-up first time....:new_shitsmiley:

So.... being methodical about this I guess I need to find if there is on common thread that links to the fuel pump, the headlights and the indicators as these are the only items showing actual problems....

Any ideas?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.