StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know to bend over before calling for insurance in Ontario...

Does anyone know of a company that gives a discount for a second motorcycle? I'd like to add a DR650 to my garage but state farm is quoting me MORE money for insurance on it then my v-strom. I can't pay 220 a month for insurance for 2 bikes. A buddy told me that a lot of places will insure the smaller bike for next to nothing since you can only ride one at a time!

I did get a quote of about 35 a month for a WR250R instead of the 120 for the DR so that makes it look a little more attractive but i'm pretty sure i'm to fat for a 250 lol

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, insurance in Canada, ontario more so is insane.

vstrom 650 - 100
ford focus - 100
pontiac montana 90
house - 80
life insurance for myself, wife and 3 kids - 90

So you can imagine why i'm hesitant to tack on another 100!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Many insurance companies will give you a 5% discount on the second bike. The reason extra vehicles are so expensive here in ontario is the insurance companies insure the vehicle based on the risk of the highest risk operator instead of just insuring the operator. Other provinces that have province run insurance charge you $x for your licence every year plus a small amount for every vehicle. Ontario instead charges you $75 for your licence every 5 years and insurance goes to a bunch of different insurance companies.

The main reason to go with state farm in ontario is if you have a black listed (sport/super sport) bike. If you're over 30 look into TD, if you're a professional melochemonnex is another branch of TD that may be better. Riders plus is another that aims at a low risk crowd.

I am with Intact but I am dissatisfied with their claims service. It is nothing like their commercial. I was going to be stuck in a hospital for a week if it weren't for my parents stepping up to rent equipment before the insurance company would approve it. Even if another company is a couple dollars more I will likely switch to them when I put my vstrom on the road.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm currently with State farm but they don't offer any discount. Even 5% wouldn't really change my mind either way. In a lot of places you pay the full price for the most expensive bike to insure then get a significant discount on any additional bikes.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I'm with state farm as well, they have all my insurances. its ridiculous what we pay in Ontario, 450$ a month ( decent driving record, no fines or charges, a couple of minor claims) for a jeep wrangler, Cadillac cts ( older one), my 05 vstrom, house, and an umbrella policy for flooding. but the sad part is, as I have shopped around ( every year), its still the cheapest for me anyways

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
call a broker for the bike - they might deal with some companies that don't directly with customers or they have access to some better rates. As far as I know, the broker always get paid by the insurance company not you, and they may also have access to bulk pricing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts