StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any mods that can be made to the stock mufflers that will resemble the sound of the very expensive slip on cans ? I have seen and heard some great pipes on other stroms in the recent past that are ...well you know!
Can the center 1" section be drill or cored out for more of a straight thru affect ? What tools would be needed? $600-900 bucks seems awfull steep for another way that would achieve the same affect.

signed "frugal in Illinoise"

·
Registered
580 Posts
I put 4 5/16 holes in the end cap of my DL1000, (North, south, east and west of the center pipe) sounds great. Not to loud and not to quite. Several DL riders who I ride with had after market high priced slip ons when back to the stock and drilled the small holes.
Just like the link shown before, but just 4 holes.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Don't really think so. I might have gotton a few mores MPG of gas.
But it sure sounds great. A couple of other V-Strom riders that have installed after market cans likes the sound so well the reinstalled the orignal and drilled them. Good luck, start with a 1/4 inch hole and see how that sounds before going to a 5/16.

·
Forum Admin
11,174 Posts
Do you have to remove this bit [see pic ] before drilling anything?

And where do you actually drill? I have never removed the end cap [what I call the thingmy in the picture]

·
Registered
580 Posts

Just drill North, South, East and West. The wall is about 1 to 2 inches deep between the large middle exhust and the larger outer rim. I started at 1/4 and went to 5/16, 4 holes. Some go latger and more holes but 4 holes was perfect for me.

Charlie

·
Administrator
17,098 Posts
Dirty Dog said:
Are there any mods that can be made to the stock mufflers that will resemble the sound of the very expensive slip on cans ? I have seen and heard some great pipes on other stroms in the recent past that are ...well you know!
Can the center 1" section be drill or cored out for more of a straight thru affect ? What tools would be needed? $600-900 bucks seems awfull steep for another way that would achieve the same affect.

signed "frugal in Illinoise"
You don't get the same effect as high quality exhaust cans! Yes you will achieve more noise........more like a leak IMHO. You get a raspy, louder, leaky and farty tone. You lose signifigant weight, and achieve a more narrow profile with new cans too. As for paying $600-$900 for exhausts.....stop looking at Staintune, ackropovic, Remus etc. Scorpion, Two Brothers and Leo Vince are between $400 and $500 for "dual" cans. I have the Leo Vince cans, and they sound incredible. Baffles in sounds about perfect...baffles out sounds bad ass!

ALLOT of people that have done mods to their exhaust, wish they hadn't later down the road. My 2 cents!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well folks, thanks for all of the replies. I did the 3/4 inch core drill first, which sounded good. The immediate thing I noticed is it's like pulling the cork out of your dirt bike muffler you put in when washing the bike.... THEN forget to pull it out when trying to start it. It will run, but much better with the cork removed. I think the core drill approach more resembles or mimics the aftermarket pipe design in the airflow department more so than the small drilled holes in the internal end cap. Sort of reminds me of the road king before and after putting the mid range cams in.

More MPG that someone mentioned..... well, have not check that part out yet, but more free flowing exhaust would tend to make me think it would help the mpg.

Just my thoughts.

I guess also, what I have read on all of the can instructions is that the maps do not require fatting up, they do this sort of automatically matching increased fuel delivery with increased air flow, resulting in more torque/hp.

Reactions: happy hooker

·
Registered
190 Posts
Scorpion, Two Brothers and Leo Vince are between $400 and $500 for "dual" cans.
Don't forget the PCIII, which adds about $200 right?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the reply. I am not familiar with PC111. Could you expalain what this is, does and costs.

Thanks man

·
Administrator
17,098 Posts
bigtallguy said:
Scorpion, Two Brothers and Leo Vince are between $400 and $500 for "dual" cans.
Don't forget the PCIII, which adds about $200 right?
If you feel that you need to go that route....then YES. But I didn't go that route, I got remapped with Yoshimura box for $33 and my bike runs great. If I feel that I need more fuel management, I will buy the Techlusion DFO.

·
Registered
190 Posts
And the yosh box is something you do at the dealer, right? If so, it would get me that much closer to getting aftermarket pipes, seeing as I have been waiting because the idea of spending over $500 to sound good had me hesitating. There is a guy on the other forum who is selling some two brothers M2 pipes for $400. Tempting.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Dirty Dog said:
Well folks, thanks for all of the replies. I did the 3/4 inch core drill first, which sounded good.>> More MPG that someone mentioned..... well, have not check that part out yet, but more free flowing exhaust would tend to make me think it would help the mpg.
>> Just my thoughts.
Ive done this on my other bikes and had no problems; the last was a Concours, and it made a noticeable improvement (along w/ a K&N air filter); my bike pulled harder and was faster than a friends, yet the sound level was a very moderate increase over stock.
Now, having said all that, a friend is visiting from PA on his brand new 'Strom, and I was VERY surprised by how quiet it was; I have the Remus carbon fiber cans that were on it when I purchased it, and they are much more noticable, raspier, throatier, etc. I almost did not purchase this particual bike because initially I felt it was too loud, now,
Kevie LIKES IT!

KevinL

·
Forum Admin
11,174 Posts
Cpope said:

Just drill North, South, East and West. The wall is about 1 to 2 inches deep between the large middle exhust and the larger outer rim. I started at 1/4 and went to 5/16, 4 holes. Some go latger and more holes but 4 holes was perfect for me.

Charlie
Wow! I just did this, and I LIKE the sound! Not obnoxiously loud, but it does not sound like a sewingmachine anymore. Woohoo!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
see attached rely on remapping. What is this $33 Yoshimira box? Also Techlusion DFO ? what is this, cost and advantage of this over the Yosh?
Thanks
D'Dog
PS, am thinking of repainting to the cool "BLACK" man.

If you feel that you need to go that route....then YES. But I didn't go that route, I got remapped with Yoshimura box for $33 and my bike runs great. If I feel that I need more fuel management, I will buy the Techlusion DFO.

A human being has a natural desire, to have more of a good thing than he needs.

Mark Twain,

·
Administrator
17,098 Posts
The Yoshimura box..."Yosh box" is a fuel injection tuning unit. It DOES NOT stay on the bike like a PCIII or DFO "digital fuel optimizer". As for the $33 dollars....that is what the service dept charged me to get remapped. All we need is some more fuel, especially at the idle and low rev ranges, and the Strom will run so much better. Or....purchase a DFO or PCIII, and really play around with fuel settings. Both of those units stay on the bike, and will cost you over $200 to purchase.

·
Registered
190 Posts
What is a good re-map to ask for? What should I tell them to do so they don't look at me funny, point, and laugh? I probably won't be adding exhaust really soon, if that makes a difference.

As for the cut out exhaust, what sound are you talking about when you say it sounds leaky (I know, noob question)? I had a truck one time with a small hole in the muffler and it actually sounded pretty good (even though it was coming from the wrong place). If it just adds more growl, then I may consider it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts