StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope I'm in the right place with this post...

After a recent road trip including some off road, mud etc, it took quite a while to clean the bike, especially the underside of the engine. I immediately thought of a mudflap and checked Stromtrooper but the only threads were very old. Fenda Extenda looks pretty, but doesn't extend far enough, plus expensive and slow delivery here. Anyway, rainy day here in Perth so time to do something about it.

The solution was a piece of 3mm x 150 wide insertion rubber. I cut it to match the bottom edge of the fender and followed the lines as much as possible, tapering down to 120 wide and scaling the curve to match (length is 170mm). I then attached it with another piece of rubber about 100x150mm contact glued to the inside of the fender so outside surfaces are flush. It looks like a bought one and seems pretty robust so far.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,171 Posts
Maybe a sheet of rubber from the hardware store? OSH had sheets in varying thickness. I used a bit of it on my G650GS BMW on the rear fender because of the slop spray on the top box.
It may require drilling and using a couple screws to attach it. But being rubber, it would fold when subjected to rocks or curbs and not break off.
 

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
Joined
·
38,049 Posts
Besides keeping mud off the bike, a low reaching fender flap will also reduce tire punctures. The most common cause of punctures is the front tire rolling over a nail or screw which will cause the object to leave the ground and aim the pointy end at the rear tire. That's why most punctures are on a rear tire. A front mud flap can keep objects from getting to the rear tire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EDIT: DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!

I wish I could edit the original post but can't figure out how, so here is the bad news in a new one.

Boy this is embarrassing. After several weeks of what appeared to be exemplary performance this morning I rode on a road with some pretty sharp bumps in it. When the front wheel hit the bumps the mudflap deflected down and hit the front wheel. Damage was just a light scrub inside the fender but still not a great long term solution. I tried various ways to stiffen it up (steel banding, fibreglass rods ex a broken kite) but eventually came to the conclusion that it is the weight of the mudflap causing the fender itself to deflect. I couldn't think of any good way to get around this, so off it came and I am back to square one.

Next attempt I will go for something lighter. A black plastic plant pot ~250mm diameter might become the donor, and closer to a Fenda Extenda in weight and execution.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
619 Posts
EDIT: DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!

I wish I could edit the original post but can't figure out how, so here is the bad news in a new one.

Boy this is embarrassing. After several weeks of what appeared to be exemplary performance this morning I rode on a road with some pretty sharp bumps in it. When the front wheel hit the bumps the mudflap deflected down and hit the front wheel. Damage was just a light scrub inside the fender but still not a great long term solution. I tried various ways to stiffen it up (steel banding, fibreglass rods ex a broken kite) but eventually came to the conclusion that it is the weight of the mudflap causing the fender itself to deflect. I couldn't think of any good way to get around this, so off it came and I am back to square one.

Next attempt I will go for something lighter. A black plastic plant pot ~250mm diameter might become the donor, and closer to a Fenda Extenda in weight and execution.
I made something very similar to yours, and also found the performance exemplary, but after about 5,000km I was noticing a lot of noise from the front end over bumps. It turned out the weight of the mudflap had caused a fatigue crack across the top of the mudguard just behind the forks. After replacing it, I made two aluminium support stays that go from the reflector mounting points to the back of the guard. It all works fine now.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Teacup, thanks for the tip. It looks like the ultimate solution to mudguard flex. I will keep it in mind for the future but I think I have got away without it for now.

So, latest on my mud flap saga: I cut a new mud flap from a 200mm black plastic plant pot from our local big hardware store & sausage emporium, using another small section as a splice plate. Stuck the whole thing in place with double sided tape (outdoor grade - no expense spared!). The problem of it deflecting is gone - it is less flexible than the rubber flap and lower weight (38g vs ~240). Only question now is durability of the double sided tape. If that fails I will try contact adhesive, I have checked it works on this type of plastic, it is just a bit slower and messier than the tape. Total cost was under $1.89 (excluding 0.5m of tape) and I have enough plant pot left over to make a second one if the first gets knocked off or damaged. Photos below, I think it looks pretty good!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
619 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top