StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the forum. I've been on the VRSI forum for several years now. Bought my bike in 2006 and still in love with it. I use to live on the Oregon coast and finally had enough. 20 days a year it's absolutely gorgeous, the rest of the year it's down right depressing. Moved to central Oregon 2 years ago after retiring from the USCG. Central Oregon is absolutely gorgeous 300 days a yr. I've had a lot of problems with my shoulders and long rides have been impossible. That's ok, because in any direction I have day trips that the rest of the country would kill for. Hoping to make it to this yrs Western get together but I'm scared of that big highway that runs through The Dalles.:thumbup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Welcome Strombrother. I envy you deeply, since up here we are lucky if we get half of year of decent weather. Hope your shoulders get better - do you use bar risers? It made all kinds of difference for me

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do, and they help. I had what's called a frozen shoulder, and it killed almost 3 yrs of riding. Central O has a cold long winter, but most days are still sunny and dry. This week it's dumping on the Cascades and we got a couple of dustings.

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Thats the advantage of living on the coast. It rains a lot, but still possible to ride in rain with the right gear. When its snowing the bike has to sit.

I have been commuting to work all winter except over XMas when i was away. Rain is a non issue with good tires.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Welcome to the forum.

Thats the advantage of living on the coast. It rains a lot, but still possible to ride in rain with the right gear. When its snowing the bike has to sit.
Unless your on the western Side of Vancouver Island your not on the coast, you have a shadow effect. My sister lives in Blaine and we always would compare weather and it's not the same!!!!! Every winter it was common to loose power for up to a week at a time. 4 days straight I had 125 mph winds a mile from my house. My last summer there I never saw the sun for the entire month of July, we had 5 days that reached 70 for the entire summer.
Coast range knocks down 50% of the rain, Cascades knocks down 90%. Last yr we had 6.7 inches of precipitation in Redmond, I will never go back!!!! Going west it's 30 miles to the top of the pass and back to the green PNW every one knows. I have both worlds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts